“very run down” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shelburne
North Bay, Canada
“very run down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Although my mother once told me "that if I can't say anything nice I shouldn't say anything at all", I must voice my thoughts on this "Inn and Suites" so that others do not interpret this "Lodge" as a possible place to put your head down on a pillow. Where do I start. This "Inn and Suites" was purchased specifically to buy low, allow to run down then when word is finally out that one should drive by this establishment, then maybe tear it down for it's land value. The phones did not work in the rooms. The alarm clock was not plugged in and that was because it did not work anyway. Paint only is used as a repair tool. There was no wi-fi anywhere on the property...let alone safes, fridges, hair dryers, m/w or even means to make coffee! Which is too bad about about the coffee because there was nothing but cereal with no milk, juice or coffee for continental breakfast. The rooms (2 the same) were "somewhat" clean but curtains, bedding mattresses and linens had run their course. In short, we booked on line from the pictures (which have to date back to the good old days) for $120 taxes in for 1 room. Folks this is a $39 room during a hurricane and with car troubles!! SORRY!! Would I not stay here again. Certain "offshore" owners buy lodgings with one thing in mind. Take profit and not put back. This is 1 1/2 star lower than the Travel Lodge also on Shelburne Rd where I stayed last year (that one is off my list as well). The "Lodge" type offerings seem to have run their time in the overnight accommodations sector in my opinion. Keep looking!

Room Tip: Wishing you the best on this one. I don't think there are any rooms better than others. They are...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mike m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Misleading advertisingsuch as Pool, it is there however it is not working. WiFi, does not work. Too cramped in order to have included breakfest, no hot water when needed Etc.etc. Management long on excuses but short on solutions. Only good thing was we were refunded 1 of 2 nights that we stayed. First clue of things to come was that we were asked to pay up front 2 nights. Would rather sleep in car than stay there again. !!

Room Tip: Last resort and even then, go a little further !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edouard N

Travelers are raving about these Shelburne hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

The rooms just flat out smelled. I paid for two rooms, and checked in for both. My room smelled very damp but I wasn't going to be there too long. When the second person came late at night, he couldn't stay the room smelled so bad and was so damp. He called to change rooms and was told there wasn't another one available. He drove four hours back to MA and I paid for the room that wasn't used. No three prong outlets, can't use a computer. I am now going to READ reviews before I book anywhere!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

When we checked in we knew this was an older motel. We have stayed at Econ Lodge before and found the room clean and acceptable. The first night we arrvied at 6:30 then settled in after dinner.
The bed was comfortabe but the floor seemd soft, the carpet felt damp to the bare foot. There was no clock/radio or hair dryer, the sink drain didn't work well. I tried to charge by cell phone in the bathroom outlet but when I turned off the light the outlet had no power. Breakfast was meager, free, so I got what I paid for.

The fawcet in the tub had hot water where cold was supposed to be. That was the first night, our second night the tub had cold and colder as did the bathroom sink. Yes, a stone cold shower in the morning! That's day two. Breakfast at McDonald's. When we came back that evening the room had been 1/2 cleaned, the bed not made up, but we had hot water so we showered before bed. We did get a hair dryer from the staff and a clock radio. There was no fridge or coffee maker. The air conditioner did work, but one of the control knobs was broken so it was plug-in on and un-plug off. it was noisey but worked. I couldn't adjust the fan speed so it was bake or listen to the noise.

Room Tip: Try the back seat of your car instead.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
UPTON
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We had a suite with sofa bed, which we intended on using as we are not a couple! When we saw the condition of the room we asked to change rooms, and were told the hotel was full for the weekend! The sofa bed mattress was moldy, and possibly chewed by rodents? The seams were open and stuffing was missing, and there were huge yellow stains on both sides of the mattress. Unfit for sleeping. The bedding for the mattress was one flat sheet and an old brown frayed, matted blanket ! When we asked for a mattress pad, more sheets, and a nicer blanket, the manager gave us 2 sheets....he didn't have another blanket that night! WE had to share the bed for the weekend as all the other hotels accepting dogs were full as well! The non smoking room was definitely smoked in furniture was filthy and smelly. The windows did not open and were filthy and full of moisture, you couldn't see out. The sidewalks were cracked and caved in. The bathroom sink's faucet was difficult to use.Had to use both hands to turn on and off. The kitchnette had no utensils, plates, paper towels, pots, glasses, cups or dish strainer, not tht we could have stomached having a meal there. The swimming pool was closed and it was obvious it had been that way for a while with all the water and debris on top of the cover....
I reported this hotel to the Shelburne Board of Health on the 25th. The Manager? came to our room at 9 PM that evening We couldn't understand him. Our other friends also staying in other rooms had equally gross rooms with the same problems of filth and similar sofa beds. They too had booked NON smoking rooms and got filthy smelly disgusting rooms.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel!!!!!! wish I had known about trip advisor prior to staying at this hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SUSAN U
West Chester, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The owner was working at the desk when I checked in. He wasn't unfriendly, but wasn't welcoming either. The property is spavined across the board, not well maintained at all. The pool has obviously been closed for a long time despite the sunny pics and the wireless Internet didn't work. When we called the front desk about it they told us it did work, hung up, and then didn't pick up when we called back. Oh well.

Overall, I think this is a fine motel if you're seventeen years old and want to go somewhere to do some underage drinking and/or get knocked up. It would also be an appropriate place to bring a low-rent denizen of a street corner. It wasn't for us. And I was astounded at how much we spent to stay at such a hole; motels this poor should be about forty bucks a night.

But at least we could bring our dog!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toddworth
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

The worst motel I've stayed at in years. Their advertisement stated "recently renovated" and "outdoor swimming pool". Both are lies. The rooms haven't been updated since the 50's. While there is a pool it hasn't been open in years. The management will say anything over the phone. This place may be acceptable in the slums of Calcutta, but not in Burlington or anywhere in the US. Stay away!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank garbsantafe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
#1 of 4 in Shelburne
Days Inn Shelburne/burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 13 in South Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 13 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 9 in Burlington
Hotel Vermont
Hotel Vermont
#1 of 9 in Burlington

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Shelburne? Share your experiences!