“Enjoyed Our Stay”

Days Inn Shelburne/burlington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Shelburne
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at this motel twice within a three week period. The first period being for nine days and the second for five days. We are early risers and to have the breakfast food items ready at 5:30 to 6 each morning was wonderful. The room we had was newly refurbished and faced the pond and meadow. The staff was pleasant and most helpful when we had questions.
This motel is set back from busy Shelburne Road and one does not hear the noise and if you request a room facing the pond the noise level is further reduced.
We have family living in Shelburne and when we visit again we will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pond and meadow are quieter and in the shade during the afternoon. And, I believe...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Doug880
dmolsen, Owner at Days Inn Shelburne/burlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Dear Guest;

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We are pleased that you found this room to your liking. All the rooms on the main level are renovated both facing the pool and facing the back meadow. The rooms on the lower level (pond side) are not renovated. We never have road noise complaints because we are so far from route 7.
We hope to be your motel of choice in the Shelburne area and please introduce yourself the next time you are in our area. Thank you for trying the Days Inn Shelburne.

There are newer reviews for Days Inn Shelburne/burlington

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We found our perception of our stay shaped pretty significantly by the unfriendly reception we got upon checking in, dealing with a brusque and unfriendly 60-ish woman with a French accent, which seems like such a small thing, but first impressions die hard.

Lows

- Despite the sign that says "newly renovated," there were gross stains on the carpet in our room. Maybe newly renovated refers to only some rooms. (?)

-The entryway from the road is awkward at best. Turning off the fairly busy Route 7 thoroughfare, a motorist has only about a half a car length of space they can proceed into before they will run into fence surrounding the hotel's pool. So, to enter the hotel property, you have to back up traffic on Route 7 by slowing way, way down, to allow yourself to make an immediate, extremely sharp turn to either the right or left to access the semi-circular drive that bounds the parking lot. I do not think it would be safe to swim in that pool because a drunk motorist could easily fail to make the tight turn and crash through the fence.

-There was no bathroom for general use in the lobby area, meaning that if your roommate were tying up your room's bathroom (hypothetically speaking, only, of course ;), then you would be just out of luck. Also, no bathroom you could use if you had not yet checked into your room or if you'd already surrendered your key because you had checked out.

- We felt it was over-priced. Or is $200 a night, even for a middle of the road (a.k.a. mediocre) hotel just "the new normal"?

Highs

+ In contrast to the almost downright unfriendly clerk checking us in, the woman checking us out at the end of our stay was quite friendly.

+ I *very* much appreciated how they had an in-room safe, and, to boot, the cost for using it was miniscule.

+ A free copy of _USA Today_ was delivered to our door--fun!

+ Desk clerk did provide a cardboard bowl upon request to help us eat some food we'd purchased at a local grocery store.

+ Out back of the hotel was a pleasant grassy area adjoining an attractive pond.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fiery4
dmolsen, Owner at Days Inn Shelburne/burlington, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Guest;

Thank you so much for your review of our motel. Let me address your comments and concerns one at a time. The desk clerk that checked you in is actually a very nice senior citizen. She cannot hear very well. She wears a hearing aid but lately it has been difficult for her to hear. She has been with us at the Days Inn for over 25 years. If you would have let us know we would have asked you to speak up a little and she would have heard you and would not have given you the impression that she was ignoring you or that she was stuck up. I am sure that your impression of our property would have different. We understand your point completely. We are a family business and we conduct our business as such. We will not let her go because we value her service to us and to our late parents. I am so sorry that you did not but it is completely understandable. Vermont's population is aging and within a decade or so we will have the oldest population in the US. We owe it to the state that has provided a living for us to accommodate seniors as well as we can. Again I apologize for the impression she left you with.

The pool comment I must admit to having never had before. The distance from the road to the pool is significant. In fact our pool is not as close to the road as the office of the Quality Inn or most other places of business are on Shelburne Road. In 25 years of being a Days Inn on Shelburne Road we have never had a problem such as you mentioned. The entrance to the motel is a situation that was given to us by the town of Shelburne and the state of Vermont. We had no choice in the matter once they widened the road. We have posted a 5 mile per hour speed limit to keep accidents from happening and we have never had an accident here on our property.

Our prices may be higher on sold out weekends but they are below average. The best prices are available by making a reservation early or by staying weekdays and not weekends. Booking early can get you a room for $89.00 in summer (less in winter) but by reserving at the last minute it may double.

We appreciate that you noted the positives you experienced while at our the Days Inn Shelburne. We value our guests and your opinion matters. Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will try us again in the future. We apologize for the circumstances that you observed and we will try to improve

Reviewed August 3, 2014

Rarely do you stay at a modestly priced motel with great landscapes, great customer service and a comfortable spacious room - at least not on my budget. I celebrate when I get two our of three levels of service and comfort but we got all three. What is unique? First the parking lot has unusually large spaces...great for accommodating unloading both people and possessions from your car. Next, in the back of the hotel is a spacious view of a lawn, pond, willow trees, meadow with a wooded backdrop. This setting is in a suburban, highway mix unique to Vermont but it is so rewarding to take in the view from the outdoor second level deck. Next, the room was spacious and clean. Our room included a convenient microwave, sink, and refrigerator - great for our leftovers and snacks. I forgot to mention the family size table and chairs - great for our game nights. Next, the breakfast bar. Justin, the night manager was busy coordinating breakfast at 5 a.m. - the time I get up and he was more than gracious in allowing me to have a meal, even though they were not officially open until 6 a.m. The sun rises early in Vermont and it is great to enjoy the views from the deck and have a sip of hot coffee. Justin set the tone for the day and the rest of the staff were friendly and helpful. Lastly, I want to mention the pool - again one of the most unusual settings I have ever seen. The pool is two linked pools - one is over 6 feet deep and the other is about 3 feet - making it easy to place kids or adults in a safe area for swimming, water jogging or simply enjoying the water. The pool is surrounded by about an acre of lawn with several seating areas that are shaded. There was plenty of space to gather in family groups and enjoy the sun. Also, hedges surrounded the pool area giving you privacy and serene surroundings. As you may have guessed I enjoyed the experience at this hotel on a five star level but I hesitate to rate the Shelburne Days Inn on a 5 star level because I know all too well that people will not read this long comment and fully understand what the Shelburne Days Inn offers...it is atmosphere and comfort - but not perfection. This is a comfortable, quiet place to stay - there is no bar, restaurant or shop. There are a multitude of places to visit in Burlington. It is not a log cabin out in the woods, it is on a highway. However I feel that the welcoming staff, spacious rooms, beautiful views add unique touches that you will not find at other hotels for the price. We will definitely stay here again when we visit family in Burlington.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if you have family members who should avoid stairs - request a room near the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen M

Dear Guest;

It brought joy to our staff and to me personally to hear such effusive praise so eloquently stated. Thank you so much for pointing out some of the things that we have worked to develop over the years. You identify conveniences that even we have taken for granted. We are pleased that you found the spaces large, enjoyable and usable. We invite anyone to roam the spacious grounds or to explore several Shelburne walking paths. There is access to Shelburne Farms only a mile from here where kids can touch animals and participate in caring for them. We are family friendly and we try to be accommodating with toys hand puzzles in our lobbies, volley ball nets, croquette and badminton available on request. We all have children and are aware of how stressful traveling with kids can be so we try to keep them busy.
If you would not mind I would like to quote some of the things you have mentioned to our guests. Again thank you for your thoughtfulness and for your energetic recommendations. We hope to see you again in the future at the Days Inn Shelburne and all the best to you and your family. Happy Travel!!!

Diannna

Reviewed August 1, 2014

The room itself was okay. It was newly renovated, and for the most part clean. We did however find a fortune cookie under our bed, a chunk of molding in the bathroom was missing, the coffee maker had a thick layer of dust, and there was mildew on the shower curtain. I wish that was our only complaint. The hotel staff assigned our room to another couple, giving them a key to OUR room! As my 3 children were watching TV, we were walked in on by a complete stranger!! Later that night the front desk staff called our room at 9:00 pm waking my 3 year old. They were looking for a different guest, and had the wrong number. At 11:00 pm the fire alarm went off. An hour later it went off again and continued to go off for a half hour. My husband went to the front desk to see what was going on. He was told the alarm was going off due to another guest smoking pot. The next morning we asked to speak with the General manager and was told she was not in yet, but we could wait for her. Since this was our family vacation, we did not want to make our children wait at the hotel all day waiting for the GM to arrive. When we got back to the hotel that night, we asked to speak with her, and was told again she was not in, but should be back. We were told she would call us. She did call an hour or so later. I asked if she was aware of the mix up with our room. She said she was. I told her my family didn't feel safe knowing the hotel gave our key to another couple. Rather then apologizing, she suggested we could check out and we wouldn't be charged to leave early. At that point it was almost 7:00 pm, and chance of our family finding another room in our budget was slim to none. They never offered to help us find a different hotel, and didn't suggest other local hotels that had rooms available. They did end up crediting us the cost of one night, however their customer service was very poor.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear guest;

Thank you for your review of our property. Good or bad it is always important to hear. I am the one who called you. My recollection of the events that followed differs to some extent, however we thought that we were in the wrong and therefore refunded your nights stay. I did come to the hotel twice to talk to you but you were not there. I am sorry that I did not meet up with you at the time you wanted me to but we were not apprized of a time to meet. Normally my customer service rates very high, however if you do not agree then it should be stated. Again I apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed for a night (family of four) as a rest stop on our way to New Hampshire. Sign out front says "newly renovated rooms". Ours was not one of them. It had a musty odor. It was on the lower level and needed to be updated. The room was spacious and we liked the mini kitchenette that had a sink, fridge and microwave and also a table and chairs to eat at if needed.
Our kids wanted to try out the pool, but because it was not heated, it was FREEZING! Not sure it gets much use. Heating it would be a great perk and advertising tool too.
Breakfast was great, many of choices and they even had a waffle maker which the kids enjoyed. The breakfast area was spacious enough and it had an outdoor eating area as well.
Staff was friendly and helpful too.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their "newly renovated" rooms. Avoid lower level.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tina J
GM_Days_Inn2014, Manager at Days Inn Shelburne/burlington, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear valued guest:

Thank you very much for staying at our Days Inn Shelburne and sending us your review. Our rooms on the upper level are all renovated, but looks like you have chosen our more affordable rooms on the lower level which are 30% larger though are not renovated yet. So, please ask for a renovated room if you would like one in the future. Our pool area is quite big and during warm summer days most guests find it quite enjoyable and refreshing. You can see that in the new photos and videos we have posted on our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/daysinnshelburne).

We are pleased that you liked our complimentary breakfast and were happy overall with our service and staff. We hope to see you again and will strive to become your first choice of accommodation in Burlington and Shelburne, Vermont.

Best regards.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

PROS -
- Large Room
- Mini-Fridge and Microwave are right in room
- Everyone was very friendly
- Was able to check into the hotel four hours early with no problem
- The keycards worked everytime with zero problem
- Very fast Wi-Fi
- Bathroom was very clean, and hot water was actually hot!

CONS
- There is an appropriate entrance / exit to the hotel, but there are no signs indicating this. Almost got into a head-on collision because of this.

- The television in the room was a tube-tv, when flatscreens have been around forever.

My room was cleaned perfectly everyday we left, the check-out process was very easy, and the A/C worked wonderfully. I would stay again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dcolucci2011

Dear Guest;

Thank you for your positive review. We are pleased that you were able to take advantage of some of the "positives" we had to offer. Since you mentioned flat screens we are installing them in the next few weeks. I have mentioned on several posts that the entrance is not perfect but it is the only way that we could have it since the state took 40 feet of frontage from us when they expanded route 7. There is not enough room for a pick up truck to enter our driveway going north and make the turn. So we have signs that mark the speed limit as 5 mph. That may be the reason we have never had an accident in our driveway. We recognize the difficulty and we apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for staying with the "Days Inn Shelburne" and we hope you will have a chance to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our stay was simply wonderful. We brought an entire lttle league team, siblings, parents...which can sometimes be a handful.The staff was friendly and very accomodating. Justin at the front desk and Doris in the dining room especially went out of their way to make sure we happy. The rooms were clean and comfortable and there is lots of room for the kids run around outside without bothering other guest.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mlm25
dmolsen, Owner at Days Inn Shelburne/burlington, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your review and for bringing your team to our motel. The kids were great and you all were very friendly and flexible. I will pass on to Justin and Doris your compliments. We hope that the next time you are in our area you will consider staying at The Days Inn Shelburne again. All the best to the Bennington Little League, "Sorry you lost to Williston" but there are many games in the future waiting to be played. Have a great summer!

Dianna

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
#1 of 4 in Shelburne
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#9 of 12 in South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Smart Suites Burlington
Smart Suites Burlington
#5 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Days Inn Shelburne/burlington? Share your experiences!