“You're in Frost's home!”

Robert Frost Stone House Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of poet Robert Frost in his middle years.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Take time when visiting to read ALL the wonderful posted reflections and histories of Robert Frost's time here at Stone House. And don't miss the "take-offs" on "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening." You'll come away wanting to memorize Frost's most famous poem.

All reviews
"artifacts"
"analysis"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed June 10, 2012

If you are a Frost fan you could spend a couple quiet and revealing hours in this charming homestead. Lovingly looked after and full of detail and displayed for easy reading.

Reviewed November 30, 2011

I have been an avid reader of Frost's poetry for many years. I had read biographies and, since I only lived about 30 miles from Bennington Vermont I traveled there many times. My wife and I had passed the old Stohe House many times and I thought it was the Stone House Frost had lived in .Once we got out and walked through the tall grass leading to the house and looked in the windows of the empty building. We commented that it would be nice if something was done to restore it to a presentable condition.
Later it was saved and had become the Robert Frost Museum.
The house is not large and has rather small rooms, some restored with actual furnishings used by Frost and his family. There is a Stopping by the Woods room where the famous poem was written on that hot June night in the early 1920s. The cottage is simple but filled with th greatness of its occupant. The museum offers lectures, iinstruction and an opportunity to walk part of the road not taken.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stopped here while traveling up Route 7a during our recent trip to Vermont. I wanted to visit this house to learn more about Robert Frost. I was also interested because he wrote my favorite poem here, "Stopping By Woods on Snowy Evening." The house is located right near the road, so not in the most peaceful setting, but it is a lovely home and area none the less and there are fields and woods near the house. The house is not large, therefore does not take long to see as you can only view the downstairs rooms, which are about two or three. There is memorabilia regarding Frost; a few furnishings, pictures, letters and information on his life which was interesting to read. There is also a section devoted to the illustrator who did woodcuts for Frost's books. There is one room devoted to his poem, "Stopping by Woods." One of the rooms (former kitchen) functions as an entrance and tiny gift shop that sells books, audio, video, etc. I bought a book/CD combo that was read by Mr. Frost. I had read there was an apple orchard on the premises that Frost planted but apparently there is only one tree left to view. The rest of the orchard has fallen into disrepair and is somewhere at the edge of the property. A new orchard has been planted though. I would recommend a stop here if you are a Frost fan or want to learn more about this poet. I was glad I stopped but would not suggest making the long trip to come here as there is not a great deal to see.

4  Thank MSWMom50
See more reviews
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Let me preface this review by saying I went with somebody who is a big fan of Robert Frost, I myself can't say I've really read much of his poetry. The house is in a very nice quiet setting. The house is of average size and I thought there would be more to see inside. All in all there was only 3 main rooms with mostly just stuff to read inside. I guess I was expecting more historical stuff inside of it. But it was only $5 per person so a rather low expense. I would say if you're a big fan then come visit, but just a casual person can find better stuff to do with your time.

2  Thank banjo60