“Unexpectedly moving” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Dog Chapel

The Dog Chapel
More attraction details
Owner description: Built by renowned artist and founder of Dog Mountain, Stephen Huneck, this unique chapel, welcoming both parishioners and their dogs, is styled in the manner of a 19th-century village church in Vermont.
Livonia, Michigan
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Unexpectedly moving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were simply passing by and saw the sign for the Dog Chapel and expected it to be a quirky museum. Instead, my husband and I were moved by the serenity and comfort the chapel offered to people who have loved and lost a dog companion. We were incredibly touched by the kindness of the staff member who greeted us. We arrived a few minutes after closing but she kept the chapel and gallery open so we could walk around. Stephen Hunuck clearly believed in the spiritual bond between dogs and their owners and this lovely, serene chapel covered from ceiling to floor with memorials is a tribute to that bond. I felt great comfort in remembering my Laddie, who was so much more than "just a dog" to my entire family.
It was raining and late when we arrived so we were unable to walk about the property with our dog companions. We hope to another time. We both loved Stephen's whimsical artwork and would suggest dog lovers take time to see the gallery. Your dogs are welcome while you browse.
We learned later, that Gwen Hunuck is in danger of losing the property to back taxes. I hope folks who enjoyed their visit will join my husband and me in sending a contribution to help keep the Dog Chapel and Dog Mountain open.

2 Thank sushi56

Norwalk, Connecticut
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Special place for dog lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Drove a long way to visit the Dog Chapel and it was worth it. The grounds are so beautiful and serene. The chapel is beautiful and moving. The attention to detail and "dogs" at every turn (even in the restroom) are amazing and fun. And, of course, everything was dog-friendly! The gallery and gift shop are enjoyable as well. Don't miss this if you are a dog lover!

1 Thank Sue R
Coos County
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“If you are a dog lover, you have to go!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

A memorial, gallery, and tribute to the late dog artist Stephen Hunuck. He built the chapel in memory to a deceased pet. Visitors leave tributes to pets they have lost... it's very touching.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Stellas_mom1025
Springfield, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Simple and serene”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Oh My Goodness! It's a magical place, with thousands of photos and messages covering the walls from floor to ceiling. My wild dog Abby ran right into the chapel, sniffed around, and lay down on the floor while I pinned up a photo of Desi, the old pup we had just put to sleep. The seating in the chapel was made by the founder, and the dogs are allowed to leave their mark...which some humans may not like, but it sure didn't bother any dogs, or me. I think anybody who has lost a dog would feel better after visiting the Dog Chapel.

1 Thank countrygirl128
Bayport, New York
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Unexpected beauty and serenity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

What a lovely, peaceful spot to walk and enjoy the views. We loved the chapel where faithful four-legged friends can be remembered. We also enjoyed the gallery as well as the surrounding area, especially the frog pond.

Visited August 2012