“Pass it by!!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
“Pass it by!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We ate dinner here at the recommendation of the frontdesk employee at the hotel we were staying at. Mistake number one. Granted, it didn't appear there were a lot of options in St. Johnsbury, but we would have happily traveled elsewhere for a better experience. This is just a really strange place with few (if any) redeeming qualities. I honestly can't understand why the ratings are as high as they are. Clearly there was an appeal to the "local" as it seemed most people new the owners on some level. I still don't know why that was enough bring people back as the woman working the front alone (from hostessing, to serving) was not all that pleasant, and the guy barking at her from the kitchen (husband??) was even less pleasant. The building was grungy and needed a total rehab. It felt stuck in the 70s. The service was soooo sloooowwwww that we really just wanted to leave half way through. Now all of this may have been tolerable if the food was phenomenal. I have to say, my pasta was good, nothing spectacular, and the other two meals we ordered were borderline at best. The prices were astronomical for the experience.... wayyyy too much food served and served in the pan it was actually cooked in... What's that, other than weird?? If I'm going to pay that much, I want to be eating off a plate, not out of worn frying pan! Very disappointing to waste time and money on what should have been a nice dinner. Did I mention for an Italian place, the wine selection was horrible?? So bad, that I passed, since I could have gone to the local grocery store and bought a bottle of the $8 a glass wine for less than $5! In a word... "gross". Nothing quaint or inviting here, just a real disappointment.

• Visited October 2013

Kentucky
“Good food but needs better service”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The food was good but there was only two people waiting tables and it took forever to get our food. Nice little place with good atmosphere.

Visited October 2013
Cleveland, Texas
“A Jem in town”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

It was kind of hard to find, but once we did, we loved this place. It is run by a super nice couple. The seating is limited but comfortable. I ordered the Shrimp pasta and my husband ordered the raviolis. Both dishes were super delicious. Your food is cooked to order fresh in the kitchen. You can see Chef Gerardo cook your meal in the kitchen. The food is served in the skillet that he cooked it in. They offer bread with flavored oil and great fresh salad. You will enjoy this meal and the atmosphere.

Visited September 2013
Allendale, New Jersey
“Very Strange Restaurant”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The food was fair. Nothing great, nothing horrible. The feel of the restaurant was odd. Pictures of what I assume was the owners daughter all over the walls - really??? Food was served in hot frying pans directly on to the table with a pot holder, no plate - very strange! No music. The kitchen is visible to patrons- all I could see was industrial size "price club" bottles of olive oil and spices - not too appealing at all. I would certainly skip it next time. Thankfully, we did not get sick.

• Visited July 2013
Earth
“A Shadow of its Better Days”
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

We have been customers of Gerardo's many sites for 15 years or so. Since closing his Littleton site we haven't ventured back to St Jay. We stopped in for lunch recently as we were passing though the area. The restaurant has a desirable downtown location, but the interior decor is tired and desperately needs updating. There is a distinct dusty smell to the atmosphere rather than an enticing cuisine.

The quality of the food was average during our lunch. Pastas were overcooked, but the bread used to make the sandwiches was quality. Overall value was appropriate for the offerings.

Gerardo's might be a good candidate for one of those restaurant make-over shows.

• Visited August 2013