“very comfortable accommodations”
Review of Fairbanks Inn

Fairbanks Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Saint Johnsbury
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We stayed at the Fairbanks Inn for several days, August 2010. Our room was extremely comfortable: spacious; good air conditioning; good shower, 2d sink & vanity outside of the bathroom; excellent wi-fi service; mini-fridge and microwave; and (last but far from least) a private balcony with a pleasant view of lawn and trees. Also, it was very helpful having a computer with connected printer available to guests in the lobby. Meaghan (sp?) at the front desk was especially helpful in resolving a reservation problem and recommending a great ice cream shop: Milk House Ice Cream, on Portland St.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
TabithaFAllen, General Manager at Fairbanks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2010

Thank you for reviewing our property. I am happy you had such a great
stay.The two sink vanity is a hit with most if not all of our guests
as well as the private balconies. We certainly have a nice view and some beautiful gardens during the summer months. I am
thrilled to read the guest service agent was happily able to fixed the
problems that arose upon your arrival. I will be sure to pass along
your comment to Meaghan! I look forward to your return. Thank you again
for your kind words

Reviewed August 20, 2010

There must be a penny-pinching control freak manager. who passes down her negativity to the staff.
Minor nuisances
No pads, pencils and itsy bitsy soap bars
A "pet" peeve that I have is places like this that are pet friendly but overcharge for the pet
A major pain
We stayed 4 nights and needed a late check out for the last day. Each desk shift passed the buck to the next. Finally I had to have the desk call the manager who reluctantly agreed to an extra hour. We are not demanding guests. We stay at 100 motels a year and a late check out is no big deal. When we left, housekeeping was hours away to servicing our room so I know it was no inconvenience to the management. They just like to break chops. Not my idea of hospitality

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing our inn. I am sorry your last day with us ended with a poor experience. I am a new General Manager and have been responsible for the inn less than a year. I apologize for the missing pen and pad as they should have been in the room. We do supply both a deodorant bar and a facial bar soap in every guest room. They are no larger or smaller than what I've experienced in hotels across our country. As for the pet fee...we do have a $20 pet fee. This charge is rather standard for the lodging industry. The fee helps cover expense we incur to deep clean pet occupied room. As you stated, my front office manager did in fact grant a one hour late check out the day you departed. Unfortunately, we can only issue a handful of late checkouts each day and sometimes none are available. We had a wedding group coming in the day of your departure and we were completely sold out. We must have the rooms ready by check-in time to ensure our next guests that they can attend their events in a timely fashion. I want to thank you again for your review and wish you safe travels.

Reviewed August 18, 2010

We just returned from a 2-night stay at the Fairbanks Inn. We paid $91/night, plus an extra $20/night for our dog. We have a young child and a small dog and we all had ample space in our large room w/2 queen beds and 2 vanity areas w/sinks. The hotel has a lovely view from the back rooms and the grounds are both beautiful and meticulously maintained.
Some people's reviews have mentioned hearing people walking on the floor above. I did hear footsteps above a couple of times, but it was neither loud nor annoying. It was more muffled than what you would hear in a typical home.
My only complaint really was the quality of cleanliness of the room. It was clean in all the important places — toilet, sheets, pillows, sink, shower. However, when we moved the chair ottoman, it had not been vacuumed underneath (there were pistachio nuts under there!) Also, the card explaining the eco-friendly laundry system – which was place on a pillow – was SO sticky and gross I almost couldn't believe it. One of the remote walls had something "splashed" on it as well. So, the room was clean enough in the important places, but they definitely cut some corners.
My overall impressions...
PROS:
-large room
-VERY comfy beds
-convenient and large outdoor space for dogs
-all the expected in-room amenities (microwave; fridge; tv; hairdryer, etc.)
-plenty of extra blankets, pillows, towels in room
-friendly maid service
-lovely, clean pool area
-easy, free wifi access
-good value for the price (although I would like it if the dog fee was a bit lower - we only have a little pug who makes no noise or mess)
CONS:
-room was passably clean, but details were missed
-no breakfast

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking to time to review our inn. I am glad you enjoyed your
time while you were her. I am very sorry for the housekeeping issues you experienced. The housekeeping staff works very hard to keep our rooms
clean and up to standard. I would agree they must have "skipped some
corners". I have shared your review with the executive housekeeper. We
will work with the staff to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Thank you again for choosing the Fairbanks Inn. I hope to see you again with your future trips.

Reviewed August 13, 2010

Anyone who travels with a dog (or dogs) knows how difficult it can be sometimes to find nice places to stay. During a 12-day road trip through NY/VT/NH/ME we were looking for a one-night place in NE VT. There weren't many places in the St. Johnsbury area to stay and fewer yet that were dog-friendly....so I trusted the mostly positive reviews I found and booked a night at Fairbanks Inn.

We were very pleasantly surprised to find a lovely property. The pet-friendly rooms are at the back of the hotel, for the most part (perhaps all?) on the bottom floor. The hotel description said the rooms opened onto a "large courtyard"....untrue....it was a HUGE grassy area with a nice view. There was a nicely landscaped pool, picnic tables and a couple grills as well. The only thing that would have made it perfect would have been some kind of fenced "dog park" area where the dogs could play off-leash.

The rooms were very nicely appointed, very clean and comfortable. Another nice surprise...two sinks! One in the bathroom with the shower and toilet, the other on the other side of the "dressing area". The hotel provided information on area restaurants and we decided to order pizza which was delivered directly to our room. Since we had a fridge and microwave, we ordered a large and had leftovers before checking out the next day.

I've read some negative reviews that mentioned noise from people on floors above....well, you've going to have that in almost any older hotel. We did not find it excessive.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and if we are in the area again we will stay here...and for more than one night.

Another plus -- not far away is Dog Mountain and the Dog Chapel -- both must-sees for any dog lover!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank maicakid
TabithaFAllen, General Manager at Fairbanks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review the inn. I am glad you enjoyed
our landscaping. It is quite the process to get all the ideas and plans
laid out for our landscapers .Generally our guests take their dogs out
to the back portion of our courtyard (behind the pool) and let their
pet run there. Generally no one else is out there so the pets can run
around.The extra vanity is def a hit among all of our guests.
Especially when one guest is getting ready for a wedding or event.
Gives the other guest plenty of time to get ready themselves. I look
forward to your future visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

the rooms were great clean great room service front desk was very pleasant was a really great place to stay wouls recomend to any one

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind words.We pride ourselves in being
Vermont's Friendliest Inn. I will be sure to pass your kind words onto
my front desk agents and housekeeping staff

Reviewed August 11, 2010

We had a wonderful time. I was pleased with how clean the rooms were. The staff was amazing. They were knowledgable with all of our questions. They made sure we were taken care of. My kids loved the pool.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our inn. I am so happy you had
a great time while traveling the Northeast Kingdom. I am glad your
children enjoyed the pool. Should you come back next year you will see
the newly remodeled pool, as we are about to get started on that task.
Again thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I will be sure
to pass along your kind words to my staff. Happy and safe travels

Reviewed August 11, 2010

The rooms were very clean and well taken care of. The staff was very helpful and willing to help my husband and I out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our inn. I am
always happy to hear that we have helped our guests have an amazing and hopefully a memory building vacation!
Safe travels to you and your family.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Johnsbury
#1 of 1 in Woodsville
Colonnade Inn
Colonnade Inn
#1 of 1 in Lyndonville

Been to Fairbanks Inn? Share your experiences!