“Great place to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Long Island, NY
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Stayed in Room 105 at this location the night of June 22-23 and was very satisfied.

THE GOOD:

-conveniently located right off I-91 (Exit 20). Easy to spot from the highway
-room was clean and the beds were quite comfortable. TV had nice display. Fridge and microwave in room as well
-nice bathroom with decent water pressure and exhaust fan
-cranking air conditioner in room!
-free parking and free wi-fi (acceptable signal strength) in room and in lobby
-impressive variety of food available during continental breakfast. The waffle makers rock!
-clean, well-maintained pool and sauna. Didn't use either while I was there but went downstairs to check them out and they were fine
-friendly, accommodating staff. Special thanks to Steve at the front desk, a nice man who was exceptionally patient and went out of his way to make my stay that much more enjoyable (gave me plastic bags for laundry, helped me locate the remote to the TV in lobby, etc.)

THE BAD:

-I really have to nit pick to think of something. Splenda avail only in lobby and not in room for coffee... not exactly a damning criticism.

I don't always give out five stars but this place, in large part because of the staff, deserves it. Very solid value. Will definitely stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
What a great review!!! We really appreciate you staying with us and taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciate all the positive qualities that you pointed out. I especially appreciate you taking time to recognize the hard work and dedication that Steve brings to the hotel. Steve is a manager in training that I recruited from Johnson & Wales University. He is a fantastic employee that has huge potential with our company.

I too am a Splenda user and will see if the in-room packets are available with Splenda.

Thank you again for staying with us. I hope to see you in the future. Until then...safe travels.

VermontTajMahal@aol.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Paranavaí, Parana, Brazil
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I Feel at home when we are in this hotel,and the location is a privilege because we can travel nearby and come back at night.
the garden is very beatiful,in the winter the fire place is a very cozy place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very good,the view are good also.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Three of my four children have graduated from St. Johnsbury Academy. The school offers a world-class education and you will find no bigger fan than me. We LOVE hosting the visiting families of students at St. Johnsbury Academy, Lyndon Institute and Lyndon State College. It is a privilege getting to know the familes and their children. We grow very attached and saying goodbye (even if it is only for the summer) is always hard. Thank you so much for your repeated patronage.

We hope to see you again. Until then...safe travels.

Waterville, Maine
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This facility was amazing. A gem, in the middle of a beautiful area. A welcome oasis to come for a quiet time both inside and outside the hotel. I would not hesitate to stay their again, next time I will be sure to bring my wife.

Room Tip: There are quite a few restaurants a very short distance away.
Green Features: They are really on the ball. They are obviously environmentally conscious.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ronald P
Thank you so much for staying with us and posting a review on TripAdvisor. We work extremely hard to exceed the expectations of all our guests. We've been described as many things, but never an "oasis" and a "movie set". You really made our day!!! I love watching our vacationing families take photos out in from the property, using the hotel as a backdrop. The fact that families want to capture images of the hotel to remember their experience always tickles me. We just celebrated the hotel's 13th birthday. I opened the hotel from the ground up and am comfortable saying that we are better today than at any other point since opening.

Again, thank you so much for staying with us and posting a review. We hope to see you back real soon. Until then...safe travels!!!

Bradford, Pa.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I love bikers but there was a argument and fight in hallway. I reported to staff but they seemed uninterested. Bikers were allowed to park their motorcycles under portico so cars could not drop off nor pick up passengers. This was difficult as it was raining. Also a member of our group was handicapped and had to walk in from parking lot. Lots of smoking outside of entry door was unpleasant. Again reported to staff but seemed not to care. I have stayed here multiple times but will look for something else on next trip! Sorry!

Room Tip: Rooms are well arranged, suites very suitable for a family.
Green Features: Cared more for smokers out front than for guests allergic to smoke and children.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. During Laconia Bike Week the hotel proudly hosts a large group of Canadian bikers. This year was no exception. The one deviation from the past was a scuffle between two guests of the hotel. My team members did not ignore the incident or your concerns...we called the local police. A warning was issued to the guests. Had there been a single additional incident, I would have personally had them evicted from the hotel. We did allow the guests to park their bikes under the carport. For the convience of all our guests we make sure that one full car/fire lane is open and available at all times.

I have operated the hotel for the past thirteen years and think it is important to note that the scuffle in the hallway was the only incident that has EVER occured related to our bike week guests. It also doesn't change the fact that it occurred and that we took steps to compensate you for the disturbance. Please know that your concerns were heard and that we immediately took steps to ensure that if it occured again that the guests involved would be removed.

I hope you will allow us to serve your needs in the future. Until then...safe travels!

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This place has almost everything. I guess I just have a hard time paying $170 for a hotel in the middle of nowhere that doesn't have a restaurant and bar.
The free breakfast is big and nice to get for free. Of course the meats and eggs are previously cooked and frozen, but the fresh waffles and the sheer volume of stuff make it a decent morning experience.
I really liked it here. The lobby was pretty and there was a nice backyard. I'd be happy to stay here again. I guess I'd just rather pay more and get more or pay less and get less - this was a strange price point for my experience.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Mcbostonrob
Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciate the honest feedback regarding our rates and the compliments directed toward our hotel as a whole. Please know that your opinion genuinely matters and will help us improve our hotel.

You mentioned in your reveiw that our hotel is in the "middle of no where". We are actually far from "no where" (it is much further north) and located just minutes from some of the most amazing natural and man-made attractions in all of New England. I encourage you to go to the hotel's independent website and consider booking your summer (or winter) vacation with us. The truth is...we are Northern New England's #1 summer vacation destination. If you are looking for adventure, consider canoeing or kayaking on our local rivers/lakes, Kingdom Trails Mountain biking, guided ATV rides, zip-lining, hiking the green or white mountains, ride the Mount Washington Cog Railway, or take a swim in Lake Whilloughby. If you are looking for something the kids will love...consider the Great Vermont Corn Maze, the aerial Tram to the top of Cannon Mountain, Clarks Trading Post, the Polar Caves or Santa's Village. If you are looking for some culture...check out the historic St. Johnsbury Atheneaum, Fairbanks Museum, or Old Stone House Museum. We also offer a handful of do not miss culinary experiences...Cabot Cheese Factory, Maple Grove Farms Factory, Ben & Jerrys Factory, Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Littleton Grist Mill and my "do not miss" Chutters General Store.

The list above only scratches the surface of all that is available to you from our hotel. I hope you will come back soon to relax, rejuvenate and explore the very best of Northern New Hampshire and Vermont.

Hope to see you again! Until then...safe travels!
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've stayed at the Comfort Inn in St. Johnsbury several times over the last eight years. It's alway a pleasant return. The staff is very friendly and professional; the rooms and lobbyare clean and inviting, and the complementary breakfast is excellent. Thank You!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Thomas D
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you so much for your repeated patronage! Eight years of staying with us??? We should name a suite after you! My team and I love hosting our repeat guests. We are always tickled to see a familiar face. Thank you for recognizing my team members and the overall quality of our hotel. I will share your comments with the entire staff.

Hopefully, we'll see you again shortly. Until then...safe travels!

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We booked at the last minute in order to attend my husband's 50th high school reunion. We also paid a premium for that weekend.
The hotel was easy to find and the front desk clerk (Karen?) was really really nice and helpful.
The problem, however, were the pillow soft beds and somewhat noisy air conditioning unit which kept me up all night. My husband had to disconnect the bar fridge because the compressor was making so much noise that he couldn't sleep.
Exhausted I found the breakfast wonderful and the lady who lovingly prepared the waffles, bacon and eggs an angel.
I discussed the problem of no sleep with the front desk clerk and she automatically took care of the problem. She suggested that next time we stay the top mattress cover can be removed. No problem with unplugging the fridge...as for the A/C....well, if you're a light sleeper it can be a problem.
The pool/hot tub are great and the grounds are lovely. All in all I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Listen to the A/C unit before you take the room. Some rooms are quieter than others
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
BrettLoehr, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the TripAdvisor review and staying with us for your husband's reunion. As you pointed out, our rates do climb during LSC, St. Johnsbury Academy and Lyndon Institute graduation periods. If nothing else, we are consistent. As Carol, our world renowned “Breakfast Ambassador” mentioned to you, we willingly and happily will remake our guest’s beds without our quilted mattress pad topper. For the VAST majority of our guests (guessing 90+%), the beds are the best they’ve ever slept on. Months ago when we implemented our new bedding program, I was forced to write a generic response letter detailing the specific mattress, bedding topper, triple sheeting process, filled comforter, decorative top sheet, decorative scarf and assortment of firm and soft pillows. I even went so far as to list hotel vendors where each portion of the bedding could be purchased. I receive no less than 5-20 requests a week from our guests wanting to recreate our bedding program in their homes. Having said all that…I couldn’t sleep on our beds regularly. They are too soft for my personal taste. I like a firm mattress and very specific pillows. As a result, we decided that we would remake any guest’s bed(s) that prefer a firmer sleeping surface. If you know in advance that you prefer a firmer bed…please mention it while booking your reservation. We will have your firm bedded room waiting for you. The refrigerator that you referenced has a program to prevent it from ever needing defrosting. We do the very best we can to make sure that they operate silently, but it is a never ending process. When they do get unplugged the end result is the defrosting timer eventually gets reset to operate during evening hours when our guests want them to operate quietly. Our A/C units can and do experience hiccups during the spring and fall periods. Specifically, when the regional weather pattern goes from one extreme to the other. In the seven days leading up to your visit, we went from 3-4 inches of snow (in very late May) to 85+ degrees. As old time Vermonters will tell you…”If you don’t like the weather…give it five minutes”.

Thank you again for letting us host your visit. We will look forward to seeing you at your husband’s next reunion.

Until then…safe travels!
#2 of 5 in Littleton
Fairbanks Inn
Fairbanks Inn
#2 of 2 in Saint Johnsbury

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Near Burke Mountain? Share your experiences!