“What happened?”

Number 1 Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 116 Restaurants in Rutland
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 8, 2014

A#1 has been our standby Chinese for years and years. We put up with the awkward parking by KFC because it was so good. We ordered our usual tonight on the way home from a trip--a pint of pork fried rice with veg, the same without veg and a Colonel Tso's chicken meal with which you get an egg roll. The egg roll was great. All else was close to inedible. The fried rices had NO flavor and very little pork. The chicken dish was far worse--it inexplicably had no sweetness and had more veg and peanuts (??) than chicken. In fact, it had no taste. Both of these dishes used to be flavorful. Perhaps the restaurant has changed hands in the last year? I heartily recommend you go elsewhere for flavorful Chinese take out.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had boneless ribs which may or maynot have been cat. There was hair and smelt funny. When took back she said no refunds. But will replace order. I said keep cat food for yourself! Please stay away and enter with caution

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Decent food, and a decent price. My wife and I order takeout from this establishment on occasion, and have never been disappointed by it. Not five star perhaps, but good solid values when you're in the mood for Chinese.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

After reading some of the other reviews on this site, I was afraid to eat here. But, due to a lack of other close by, late-night options, I decided to take a chance anyway. Glad I did.

For what it is - your run of the mill American Chinese food eatin/carryout/delivery place - it's one of the better ones I've experienced. No, it's not authentic Chinese. It's not haute cuisine. It's just good take out.

I based this review on the purchase of steamed dumplings, egg rolls, general tso's chicken, szechuan chicken, and pork fried rice. Both myself (foodie) and my boyfriend (chef) found it more than satisfactory.

1  Thank Snoopaloopas
Reviewed January 4, 2012

I once found bones in my chicken dish. The last time I went, I asked which items did not have soy in them - the lady basically told me that nothing contained soy (and gave me a mean and dirty look). Clearly, most Asian dishes contain some soy sauce as flavoring, and many packaged foods use soy as a filler / binder. Oh, well.