“This is Seward's not like I would want to remember”

Seward Family Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 5 Dessert in Rutland
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Rutland, Vermont
“This is Seward's not like I would want to remember”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

First of all DO NOT look at the ceiling. You want to cover your plate to protect it from possible falling dirt. The breakfast is not such a bargain because the quality is not there. I have been going to Seward's resturant for 40 years but it just is not the same. Roland Q Seward (whose picture hangs on the wall) is probably rolling over in his grave. Please clean the resturant and bring the quality up to the other resturants in Rutland. Also the resturant looks nothing like the picture

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Martin W

Essex, Vermont
“Seward's Diary”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

About 10 years ago I found out that the beloved Seward's Ice Cream isn't made by Sewards anymore. It's a great place to stop for a cone on a hot day.

• Visited December 2012
Milton, Vermont
“Oh the Horror”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

While on a day trip to Rutland for business we stopped here for lunch...EWW, SERIOUSLY, SO GROSS!!!! I started with a cup of Chicken Noodle Soup which tasted like salt, was nothing but a bowl of mushy noodles with cables soup size chicken pieces. If the soup wasn't gross enough my coworker and I had a discussion to try and identify something I found after eating half my soup. We narrowed it down to one of three things 1- A bristle from something 2- the leg of a large fly 3- a mustache hair. Honestly I didn’t want to know. I ordered a medium rare burger and when I asked if there was lettuce and tomato on it she said “I can add it, if you would like”. The lettuce was wilted, and slimy. The tomato was worse it had 3 black spots with mold. The bun was also buttered and “toasted” on a dirty grill (you could see the spots of other stuff that stuck to the bun. The best part of the meal was the fries that I had to order on the side. But even those were not good. They tasted like they were fried in year old oil. Even the tea was bad. I noticed the labels on the bags were off so I’m sure the tea bags were “Factory Seconds”. As for those who say it is cheep well…. A plane burger on a bun is $5.50 no sides. Please do not go to this hole.

• Visited November 2012
6 Thank Beckaroous
Middlebury, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Had a Wonderful Family Gathering!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My boyfriend and I live in Middlebury, but we needed to find a place further South to meet up with his family for dinner one evening. We chose the Seward Family Restaurant because we knew it wasn't in the middle of downtown Rutland and its sign always caught our attention in the past. We had a LOVELY time, absolutely lovely! The food was incredible--every member of our party was extremely satisfied with their meal--and it was amazingly cheap! The numerous specials for the day all include multiple sides and are each only $7.99, which was awesome. I got baked ham with mashed potatoes (the best mashed potatoes I've had in years), peas, and a roll, and it was just delicious. The breaded mushroom appetizer is fantastic as well. And the desserts! I got a "mini milkshake" for $2.30, expecting it to be a tiny cup, but it was in a to-go cup that was at least 6 or 7 inches tall! I almost couldn't finish it! The service was also incredible and everyone was very nice to us.

The only warning I have to someone who hasn't been there before is that there are no tables to eat at--just booths and some seats at a short bar--but if you have a large group, they can remove the dividers between booths for you. That's what they did for us, so we all had plenty of room!

I'm definitely planning on going back there again the next time we're in Rutland!

• Visited October 2012
Kitchener, Canada
“History Buffs take a chance”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Cool Place. Vintage from the 40's. Great prices and great Ice-Cream.

Try it