“long time favorite”

Cuisines: American, Deli, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed June 5, 2014

great subs and choices of many sides. interesting use of cabbage instead of lettuce. you can get lettuce if you request it

1  Thank Bruce P

Reviewed May 12, 2014

So, I'm in Rutland, don't know the area, but didn't want the usual 99 or Panera, so I did what I do, went to Tripadvisor, and wasn't disappointed. I got a GREAT Roast Beef sandwich, small. Way big enough for me, with a small side of Macaroni salad, YUM! The woman who waited on me sliced my RB fresh, as I asked for rare. So, 1) food good, 2) service, GREAT, BUT... NO CREDIT CARDS... This is the only thing I can say that was a bit of a rub. I'm in town on business and need to charge my meals, but decided to go here anyway even after I saw the sign on the door, but I might have found another spot had I known driving over here. So, be aware, no credit cards but all else, OUTSTANDING.

1  Thank Joan L
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Gills makes there own delicious sub rolls. They also use shredded cabbage unless you wish lettuce. Gives that extra crunch! Seafood salad just great and another favorite is the Hot Italian. Deviled eggs awesome as well as salads. Once you eat here or get take out you will want to return!!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I'm spoiled, I work and live in the Boston area - and ate here on the online reviews. Don't get me wrong, the sub was very sufficient...great quantity and very reasonably priced. Staff were extremely pleasant, and I saw the owner make a donation to charity while I was eating (off lunch hours)....so they are clearly a great organization in the city.

The cabbage, good move away from the norm which I liked...a little more oil and it would have been perfect...I don't think they should charge extra for lettuce though, give the customers the choice. My biggie are the meats...they were not up to big city standards (I'm an Irishman, but the Itals certainly know their meats....I've grown up with Ital meats all my life...and you have to give them that). I went with the Hot Meat sub...hot ham, hot cap and some salami...plus cheese of course...I think my "beef" is with the salami and cap....it seemed par B...more like lunch meat from school versus true Ital sub status. Given the price, I should complain...with a drink - I was under 8 bucks....in the Boston area - that's $10 for sure...but the quality commands the price.

In ending, I loved my trip to VT, and I'm glad I tried Gill's (my last name is Gill - no discount...lol)...I can see why the locals go there - the quantity and quality combined is VERY worth the price....I just think they can step it up a notch to REALLY take it all for VT.....for sure...their menu is simple enough to make sure they specialize in what they do....and again, the staff was wonderful.

My only regret....not grabbing 4 deviled eggs for 2 bucks... I was too full. Please don't take this as a negative review, the sub was awesome..but being from Boston - we have some serious cold cuts....I want to see it applied in VT....definitely recommend this place!

2  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The Submarine sandwich's are out of this world. Everything is always fresh and tasty, add what you like and away you go. Always a line up at meal time, but we go and take it out - Always worth the wait...