“Good quantity, needs better meats”

Gill's Delicatessen
Ranked #3 of 117 Restaurants in Rutland
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout
“Good quantity, needs better meats”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I'm spoiled, I work and live in the Boston area - and ate here on the online reviews. Don't get me wrong, the sub was very sufficient...great quantity and very reasonably priced. Staff were extremely pleasant, and I saw the owner make a donation to charity while I was eating (off lunch hours)....so they are clearly a great organization in the city.

The cabbage, good move away from the norm which I liked...a little more oil and it would have been perfect...I don't think they should charge extra for lettuce though, give the customers the choice. My biggie are the meats...they were not up to big city standards (I'm an Irishman, but the Itals certainly know their meats....I've grown up with Ital meats all my life...and you have to give them that). I went with the Hot Meat sub...hot ham, hot cap and some salami...plus cheese of course...I think my "beef" is with the salami and cap....it seemed par B...more like lunch meat from school versus true Ital sub status. Given the price, I should complain...with a drink - I was under 8 bucks....in the Boston area - that's $10 for sure...but the quality commands the price.

In ending, I loved my trip to VT, and I'm glad I tried Gill's (my last name is Gill - no discount...lol)...I can see why the locals go there - the quantity and quality combined is VERY worth the price....I just think they can step it up a notch to REALLY take it all for VT.....for sure...their menu is simple enough to make sure they specialize in what they do....and again, the staff was wonderful.

My only regret....not grabbing 4 deviled eggs for 2 bucks... I was too full. Please don't take this as a negative review, the sub was awesome..but being from Boston - we have some serious cold cuts....I want to see it applied in VT....definitely recommend this place!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Stephen G

Cobourg, Canada
“AWESOME - Subs !!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The Submarine sandwich's are out of this world. Everything is always fresh and tasty, add what you like and away you go. Always a line up at meal time, but we go and take it out - Always worth the wait...

Visited February 2014
Rutland, Vermont
“The grinder/sub/hoagie pro's”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

There's always a line...and it moves fast as the professionals behind the counter crank out any sandwich you can think up (in addition to the long list of traditional combinations). Every ingredient is super fresh and has earned the loyalty of THOUSANDS of Gill's customers (or maybe it's millions at this point?)

• Visited December 2013
Boston
“The best deli!”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Loved this deli! Our new favorite lunch spot in Rutland! Now I can appreciate why the lines are long!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank quidagis
Rutland, Vermont, United States
“Perfect”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This is the perfect small business. Quality is consistent. Eveything is always fresh. The hot Italian sub is renowned all around the northeast. If all businesses were run like this there never would have been a recession!