“Creative cuisine in Rutland”
Review of Little Harry's

Little Harry's
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Harry's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 120 Restaurants in Rutland
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed October 30, 2008

What a great find! Thank you, TripAdvisor! My husband and I ended up in Rutland for a night and made a beeline for this place because of the reviews, and, boy, are we ever glad we did.

The menu is vast (almost too vast!)and eclectic (there are American, continental, Thai, and Mexican choices). I started with the Red Red Shrimp, five plump, butterflied shrimp in a hot hot Thai sauce. (Warning to the heat-sensitive: When they say "hot" on this menu, they mean hot!) My husband had the corn bisque, which also featured plump and tasty shrimp. For an entree, I had the duck breast, which was perfectly medium rare as per my request. It came atop a bed of rice, with a side of beets and some lovely peach chutney. My husband had the ravioli, topped with a fiery red sauce. Our only problem was that we'd overordered--couldn't finish our entrees and didn't have room for dessert!

Revelation of the night: the amazing house salads, so often done wrong at so many places that I barely ever eat more than a couple of bites. But these house salads were fresh, crisp and cold, with just the right mix of lettuce, carrots, and alfalfa sprouts, lightly tossed with Lemon Parmesean dressing. I could eat this salad every night of my life and never get tired of it, it was that good. When I complimented the waitress on the salad, she told me she'd made it from scratch herself. No pouring tired mesclun out of a bag at Little Harry's!

Speaking of the wait staff, service was fast, unobtrusive, impeccable. Decor is warm and cheerful, with local art on the walls (we were seated in front of a vivid hand-made quilt that we kept turning around to admire).

The only thing that, in my opinion, could be improved was the wine-by-the-glass choices. Nothing was bad or undrinkable--just sort of OK--but given the high quality of the food, I expected a little more creativity here. (There are so many great Oregon and Washington Pinot Noirs for under $20 a bottle; why pick a middle-of-the-road wine like BV Coastal?) But this is a minor problem, easily fixed by ordering your wine by the bottle, which we'll do the next time we visit. Will look for an excuse to come back to Rutland, just so I can eat here again...

Reviewed October 26, 2008

Little Harry's is a groovy kinda spot for dinner. Very friendly people who can't do enough for you. The ambiance is cozy and warm and the menu choices are slightly different but very nicely prepared. Wide variety of entrees - chicken, beef, seafood and pasta for under $20. Nice bread basket and salad. Clean and a very mixed crowd. Doesn't look like much from the outside but a good deal.

Reviewed October 19, 2008

who knew a little downtown joint on the main street of Rutland could be so great??!! Terrific bartender (Jack) wonderful, ambitious menu and fine quality ingredients. Priced well for portion size and quality of ingredients. Certainly worth a visit...

Reviewed September 14, 2008

We were their 9/12/08 it was a friday and didnt have a res. but they found a table for us. The food was great and I cant wait to go back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 21, 2008

When you first walk in you'll wonder what kind of place your in. And what your in for to eat, but the food is very good.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook