“A nice new addition the the Rutland scene”
Review of Kelvans

Kelvans
Ranked #13 of 116 Restaurants in Rutland
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Killington
“A nice new addition the the Rutland scene”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Great food. Great wine selection. Interesting menu. Terrific, friendly service.

Visited March 2012

Vermont
“Better late than never!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

When my friend and I dined at Kelvan's, it was during the summer last year. We HAVE been back, and it's still the same wonderful food!! Our favorite is a hummus wrap! So tasty and HUGE! But, the thing that we ALWAY'S have, for lunch or ask for during dinner service is their KALE SLAW!! Kale?? First time, I said, 'uh, ok...don't know if I like kale, but I'll give it a try'. WOW!!! It is crunchy, creamy, sweet and sour! Just the BEST SLAW around! Service is top knotch no matter whether you eat lunch or dinner. Ice tea is refilled quickly as well as water, and for dinner, your wine glass is never empty. A great place to be sure! Kathryn, one of the co-owner's with her hubby, is so pleasurable when we come in, as is ALL the staff! A gem to be sure, enjoy!

• Visited September 2011
Castleton, Vermont, United States
“Phenomenal Food, Cozy Atmosphere and Friendly Professional Service”
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I am absolutely enamored by the excellent, innovative menu; warm inviting atmosphere and professional service I have received at Kelvan’s. My most recent trip was on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was busy but the table service seemed to be timely and all of the staff was friendly and I was greeted with smiles.

For an appetizer I tried the Arugula and Red beet salad. The flavors were flawless and the presentation was professional and appealing to the eye.

I asked for a recommendation for the main course and was directed to the Flank steak special (there is also a flank steak on the regular menu) it was prepared perfectly and seasoned only enough to compliment the other flavors of the dish.

Finally my server recommended the tiramisu for desert. My first bite had me puzzled but pleasantly so. My server noted my expression and was quick to explain that the Chef’s recipe utilizes a coffee flavoring rather than rum. It was magnificent a totally seamless blend of traditional ingredients with an amusing personal touch.

I have tried most everything on their regular menu and have not ever been disappointed with the taste, quality, presentation or value of my meal.

The atmosphere is comfortable, the decorations understated (the emphasis is on the quality of the food and service). Outdoor seating is available during agreeable weather. The location adjoining an aging city park is somewhat industrial currently but well sheltered from weather extremes and the fixtures are clean and well maintained. A full renovation of the park area, scheduled to begin later this year, promises to improve the space and I look forward to a plaza like atmosphere.

The servers seem for the most part to be familiar with the menu and its ingredients, knowledgeable in proper service standards (with some true shining stars) and happy to be doing their jobs.

• Visited March 2012
Connecticut
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Had heard good things I ordered chicken and it was not totally cooked so I sent it back. They cheerfully handled the problem. Unfortunately the chicken was rubbery. Maybe they need a different chicken breast supplier. The others in
my party seemed to enjoy their meals. There is a patio on back which is nice but the tables are cheap and flimsy and chairs cheap plastic and not comfy. Maybe I will try a lunch sandwich.

2 Thank aedrbf
Rutland, Vermont
“Kelvans was great for Valentine's Day!”
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We visited Kelvans for dinner on Valentine's Day and everything was fabulous. In addition to the regular menu, they offered a special "price fixe" of $35 per couple for a shared appetizer, individual entrees, and a shared dessert, and everything was well worth it!

We shared an appetizer of fried oysters which were done perfectly. My wife's entree consisted of a nice portion of salmon, rice and a vegetable, and they were done perfectly.

I had a lobster tail that was admittedly very small, but tasty, with an outstanding fillet mignon in accompanying sauce, with asparagus and fingerling potatoes. (My fillet was rare, as I ordered, and was one of the tastiest and most tender I have had in a long time.)

Our shared dessert was a "blonde" brownie, with three scoops of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream -- more than enough for two to share!

The service was terrific, friendly and prompt, even though they were obviously busy. We had no complaints of any kind. We'd been there before, and this was excellent, as always.

• Visited February 2012