“Quality? I think not”

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Quality? I think not”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The bed was clean but the bedding looked old and tired, like the tube TV in the corner. That is the only positive thing I can say. The room was shabby, there was mold behind the faucet, plaster damage in shower, veneer stripped off of the bathroom door, heavy dust line where the floor met the walls, and it was dim. I could go on, but the main point is there ate other nicer and cleaner budget hotels in town.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My stay here was not very enjoyable. The lights in the halls were dim, the carpets were worn, the overall feel was icky. The internet connection only came through was when I was in the lobby.

I did like the shower curtain.
$55 plus tax

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vermont
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This is an older property that is currently undergoing renovation. The room we were initially given was under renovation and they first desk said they had trouble keeping track of which rooms were being worked on. The carpet was not great and the counterpane was stained but I was assured that they are washed on a daily basis. They really did the best the could under the circumstances. Especially loved the people in the breakfast room in the mornings. I would give them another chance after reno's are complete.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stay at quality hotels regularly because they are usually clean, well maintained, have good amenities and reasonably priced. However, this one is a disgrace. I don't know how it can be part of the Quality brand.

My stay began with Visa credit card issues that were the fault of Choice Hotels. I was already in my room when the front desk clerk called to advise me that my credit card didn't go through. I offered to come down to have it swiped again. He continued to swipe it and it continued to be rejected because the wrong expiry date was being input. I explained that I had just used it an hour before, with no problems so it had to be their system. I was told I had to call the bank to get it sorted out. When I did so, I was informed that it was an issue on their end, they kept putting the wrong expiry date. The records at the bank showed it had been done 6 times. The front desk clerk refused to accept this and demanded I pay cash or use a different card. I refused to do so as I knew it was their fault. After 40 minutes, two more phone calls to my bank, the clerk knocks on my door, hands me my receipt, apologizes and tells me the problem was on their end and had been rectified. Nice start to my stay.

Although the room was reasonably clean, it was old, dingy and had holes in the carpet. Worst of all was the rusty Kleenex box hanging out of the wall in the bathroom. How much trouble could it be to remove it and cover up the wall with something. It was disgusting. The room had good lighting and lots of outlets but there was no place to put luggage. The T.V. didn't work properly, either. The picture was snowy on all channels (and there weren't many).

The worst part of my stay was the noise from the room above. There couldn't have been more than 4-5 rooms occupied during my stay but they were all grouped together. At one point, I thought the bed and its occupants were going to come crashing through my ceiling. All I heard for an hour was the banging of the bed, so loud even turning up the t.v. wouldn't cover it up. Aside from that, every time they moved, it sounded like a heard of elephants above me. The hotel should do something about this, especially when not very full.

Breakfast was fairly good. There was a good variety.

The only ice machine was on the second floor and no elevator so I'm curious how people with mobility issues get ice.

I'd rather pay a little more and stay somewhere in better shape.

Room Tip: Upper floor so you don't have to listen to the amorous encounters of those above.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Connecticut
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you look at some of my other reviews of places I have stayed in Rutland you may be scratching your heads. The Quality Inn is no worse than the Val Roc but I rated it much lower. I didn't have the bad experience that other reviewers had, but I am surprised that this hotel has been able to remain a Quality Inn franchise. It could have been the nail holes in the wall paper, the rusty bathroom fixtures, or the "way past it's prime" carpet" but I would have stayed at the a fore mentioned hotels if I had known what this was going to be like.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 27, 2013

The room was clean. Old but clean. Breakfast was fresh and tasty. Check in was fast. What else do you need for sleep over after long day of skiing?? No complaints at all.
It was perfect for an overnight stay.
Didnt have a chance to use the pool as we came in too late but it looked ok anyways.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband booked an overnight stay for our family and suggested the hotel to friends who were joining us in VT for the Green Mountain Open Tournament at Rutland Bowlerama. What a HUGE mistake. Upon entering the lobby to check in we thought it would be nice because the outside entry was welcoming and the lobby was clean. Well, as soon as we drove around to a side entrance the building looked a bit unkempt. Although there’s a cardkey reader right next to the side entrances, the doors were not locked. The hallways were run down. The walls needed to be painted, the carpets were wavy and dirty. The stairs to the second floor were dirty and have probably never have the pleasure of being mopped. We entered our room and the carpet was worn, water stains on the ceiling, curtains and lampshades were stained. The furniture was in poor condition. Upholstered arm chair seats were stained w/who knows what. We left our bags and went on our way for lunch, bowling and dinner. Upon our return later that evening after 10 p.m. the side entrance doors were still unlocked. We got up to our room and neither cardkey worked this time around. We went down to the front desk for assistance and the desk was unattended. We waited almost 10 minutes for someone to come to the desk. He was pleasant and apologized for not knowing why the cardkey stopped working but fixed it. I brought the unlocked side doors to his attention and he said there was a power outage a few days back and it probably messed up the system. I suggested he bring the matter to management’s attention because the building should be secured even though “not much happens in VT”. In the morning they did provide a free breakfast w/eggs, sausage, waffles, cereal, bagels, toast, muffins and yogurt. Great choices and not bad but the room was very small for the amount of guests who needed to use it. Overall I think this place needs a lot of TLC before we would even consider staying there again and I cannot believe the reviews where more than two stars/points were given. I have to wonder if they’re confusing this location with another hotel in VT.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family