“Past its Prime”

Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is an old Holiday Inn. It smells like mold and the carpets seem damp. You have to go through the pool area to get to the main desk from most rooms. The only thing that this hotel has going for it is a great breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 123Katew
hivermont, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear 123Katew

We appreciate your review.While we enjoy a series of great comments we have failed to meet your expectation.Currently we are under renovations and i am sure we will exceed your expectations on your return visit.

Hotel Guest Relation.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and the service was very good. The hotel is convenient to a lot of outside interests and the rooms are well kept up. I would recommend this location if you are staying in the Rutland Area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are more quiet
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Craig G,

Thank You for taking the time and posting this review.We appreciate your such kind words about our facility.Please visit us again sometime and give us another opportunity to serve your needs.

Hotel Guest Relation.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night last week. Check in was quick and smooth. Got free breakfast and cocktail voucher because of platinum status. Room was clean and spacious. Hotel is dated, but clean overall. Swimming pool was good, but also very old. Would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Wendy_from_Holland
hivermont, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Wendy_from_Holland

Thank You for taking the time and reviewing us online.We appreciate your honest opinion as it helps us to better serve your needs.

Hotel Guest Relation

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I had booked months in advance (to obtain a low rate) two rooms at another hotel in Rutland for a 6 night period. When I called to confirm my late arrival at that hotel I found that the hotel renovations meant a closed pool. Since I am a Priority Inn platinum member I investigated their web site.
After reading the amenities of the Rutland Holiday Inn I chanced a phone call directly to the hotel. The desk clerk, a former manager Todd Brewster informed me that he was able to match the rate I had at our original hotel for 2 rooms using for the 6 nights Confirmation # 64067530

In re-reading this correspondence I decided to put my “breakfast comments” at the bottom below so that the praises would not get lost.

Despite the two hiccups in dining and in room entertainment (TV), our stay was pleasant.

We credit the front desk, esp. Todd Brewster and Alex Jurado from the moment we arrived, their offering of snacks to providing excellent information for adventurous site seeing during and at the end of our visit.
Our stay was of 6 days started with the weekly Manager's Reception. We enjoyed the wine tasting, quality beer, heated food sampling, a large fruit, cheese and cracker platter and socializing with other guests. The Holiday Inn Sales Manager, Betti Larson, was welcoming and interested in getting to know every guest personally. This resulted in a guest feeling important and appreciated.
One of the main things amenities that I always look for in a hotel are a large pool and more than 1 hot tub. Here the hotel exceeded my hopes and they had a dry sauna which was wonderful. Todd Brewster had heeded my wishes and put our 2 rooms on the second floor within easy access to the pool as well as the outside courtyard with lounge chairs and patio tables. FYI – the hotel was very quiet, no noise traveled outside the pool area or even a hotel room.

The staff I mention was so outstanding that I would chose to stay there again. I would just make other plans for meals.

Bonnie Mercier PC# 921133367

*************************************************************************
I would now like to address the advertised: "free breakfast buffet."
I was shocked at the repetition of the statement "gratuity not included. I fault the manager, Anita (who I spoke to several different days) and the staff (obviously not trained/corrected) for the RUDE service and the flaunting “gratuity expected” 4 times each morning before a diner exited the meager buffet. I made Anita aware the first evening at the manager’s reception of that the displeased discussions I heard in the hotel and elsewhere; Panera Bread – where hungry hotel guest went after leaving the Holiday Inn restaurant. The service given by the oldest staff member was rude from the moment she greeted you. The staff only visit to a table was to return your re-useable meal ticket and hand you the "bill" where you had to sign for your "free breakfast" in the space under the phrase "gratuity not included."
Personally Waitress Interactions - The day I request to do the advertised “take-out for breakfast” I had to ask twice for an additional container and then the box I was given was a half size box. Add to that insult the fact that the “regular” cashier chose that time to hand me the “bill/gratuity slip” to sign.
General Waitress Observations: - Only once did I observe a “used” plate being removed from a diners table. Not only was no beverage service was provided but I witnessed a person's juice request answered by the waitress pointing to the meager drink table that had one choice of juice on it, hot water and weak coffee. I was told later by another hotel guest that they witness the same action happen to an unsteady elderly person request for coffee.
The Holiday Inn Buffet was never refilled during the last 30 minutes including Sunday. It was severely limited in food to take on the go such as muffins, breads, yogurts, fruits. The eggs and bacon on 2 of the days, including Sunday were served only partly cooked.

What made it my morning at the hotel really dissatisfying was that I and another had made our views know each day and there was no change. My suggestion of a simple print size change of the offending font on both the plain 8 x10 paper the 2 x 3 yellow re-useable meal tickets went unheeded and (Scan attached). The only reason I continued to go down into the dining room each morning was curiosity (I am a 20 year mystery shopper) and in often futile hopes that there would be fruit in the bowl. Please again note that I am Gold with other Hotel Companies but I chose to be Platinum with Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Bonniemerc1
Reviewed June 15, 2013

After loading the luggage cart full of family gear, I found out that our room was on the 2nd floor and there was no elevator. Getting to the room required a very long walk after climbing the stairs. Very annoying after a long drive...

Otherwise, it seems fine for an older hotel. Just specify 1st floor.

• Stayed: June 2013
hivermont, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear James B

Thank You for taking the time and reviewing us.We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience that was caused due to lack of an elevator.Our porter would have been more than happy to assist you getting your luggage to your room.However you will be happy to know that we now have an ELEVATOR.
We hope to see you again in the near future.

Hotel Guest Relations.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel staff was overly accommodating.
I walked in to the hotel looking for one nt (business trip) - they were more than happy to give me a king room $119/nt.
Check in was quick and easy. Plenty of parking and great location.
My room smelled quite musty but after such a long day on the road I did not want to change -- lit my "travel candle" and eventually I couldn't smell it anymore. Although the bathroom smelled of it too the whole time.
Bed was terrific - lots and lots of feather pillows - slept like a baby.
Lots of cable stations - free WIFI
And as a Priority Member a free full breakfast in the morning. Eggs were powered YUK. but everything else was great.
All in all, I would stay there again but change rooms if I smelled that stink again. Could have been just my room - who knows.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I spent the night recently in a room that had very obviously been a smoking room (#266). We checked in without going directly to our room and when we finally did, it was too late to make other arrangements. Very unpleasant. By morning, even our clothes smelled of cigarette smoke! Our compliments to the staff though, they all were very pleasant.

Room Tip: If you a a non-smoker, make sure you specify you want a room that has NEVER been smoked in.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Kerry M,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind remarks intended for the staff. Kindly accept our sincerest apologies over the smell of the room. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention as this will be acted upon immediately. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutland
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 12 in Rutland
Mendon Mountainview Lodge

Been to Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area? Share your experiences!