“ok stay”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
Hopewell Junction, NY
“ok stay”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Several of us came here beginning of March. I wouldn't stay here again..we were in different parts of the hotel and we all had the same problem - the hot water was barely Luke warm both nights. The beds were uncomfortable and the hotel needs some updating. Noisy hallways at night. Food was decent and staff nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear nys1emt,

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted you found our staff and the food served during your stay commendable. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and regret our hotel fell below your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and these will be considered in our efforts to improve the quality and services we offer.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and hope you give us a chance in the future to make your stay the best as it can be.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My Wife and I stayed here for one night while our daughter was visiting a nearby college. We had read a few negative reviews, so we had some concern, but overall I think it was very good. There were just a few negatives in my opinion. Firstly, the pool/spa area is in need of renovation. The ceilings had peeling paint, some of the floor tiles were broken or poorly repaired, and the windows and trim were fairly outdated and generally tired looking. The pool and spas themselves, however, were clean and the temperatures were kept correctly. The room was fine. Actually, better than I expected for $90 per night during ski season in a ski town! The bed was comfortable, albeit, full sized instead of queen - but that was accurately specified in the website when I made the reservation. I believe they have king rooms as well, but were either sold out or more $ than I wished to spend. The TV and furniture were also a bit dated, as far as style goes, but were all in perfect working clean condition (no scratches, chips, stains, etc). The bathroom was spotless, and soap/shampoo products good quality (Bath and Body Works or one of those known brands). The check in/out process was simple, quick, accurate, and friendly. We did not go in the restaurant or bar at all, so I cant comment on that part. It would have been nice to have coffee available in the lobby like all the Marriott and Hilton brands do, because the "semi-instant" coffee in the room is never very good IMO. The location was good. 2 minute drive to dozens of stores and restaurants. Overall, I would say that the Holiday Inn Rutland is a very good choice. I'll return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Clayton, North Carolina
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Good value in the area, with easy access to local skiing and adequate rooms. One room for our party had a heater/AC unit that made an incredible amount of noise (the plastic cover and vents vibrated, but this was solved by taking the night stand and putting it upside down on the units top to damping the noise--anything for a good night's sleep!). Killington ski area is an easy 30 minute drive.

Be forewarned: reservations made with Expedia and found out that breakfast was not included, despite my long standing "Priority Club" status with Holiday Inn. Have to say that the attitude of the man at the front desk who told us we did not "qualify" for the free breakfast, unless we booked directly with Holiday Inn was pretty demeaning. Some in our party had breakfast, some did not. Don't know what the battle is between Expedia and Holiday Inn, but my group really felt caught in the middle. The Dunking Donuts right down the street solved the food problem for all of us, but I have to say that the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended).

At our next stop the Best Western still had the breakfast buffet FOR ALL OF US, even though we booked with Expedia. Holiday Inn will need to address this issue, because at the end of the day they left us hungry and hanging--and my party will probably be down the street at the Best Western!

Room Tip: Make sure breakfast is included, or make other plans!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear yellowrider221,

We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Nevertheless, we’re sorry for any inconvenience you experienced because we did not live up to your expectations. Though we would prefer you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a school group skiing for six nights. We really enjoyed our time at the hotel. Todd, the reception manager, was very friendly, helpful and accommodating. We had a couple of problems that he sorted no problem. Breakfast was excellent, the same everyday but teenage boys would happily eat pancakes for every meal! The evening meal was also of a very good standard and there was plenty of it.
My room was spacious and clean and I liked the bonus of a microwave and coffee machine. The fridge did freeze my milk but I just turned it down. I also like the settee in the room as well as two double beds.
I went in the bar a few times, was always quiet, but enjoyed a few pints of switchback and games of pool.
The only downside is the colour of the pool water, very murky and unappealing, but didn't stop the kids going in.
Rutland has plenty to offer and I love skiing Killington. Would definitely stop again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katherine G
John C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Katherine G,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience staying at our hotel. It sounds as though Todd lived up to our service culture which is to provide exceptional service to all who choose to stay with us. Todd, our restaurant staff and housekeeping staff have been recognized for their quality of work and we appreciate your positive feedback. As you said, the Rutland Region has so much to offer visitors. Its exciting to hear of your likelihood to return to the area and our hotel. We look forward to serving you and your friends and family again in the future.
Billericay
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Poor hotel. In drastic need of a refurb and a clean. The rooms smell of stale fags and damp dog. We didnt have our sheets changed during our 10 night stay. The staff had poor knowledge about the public transport, dining and bars in the town. The fridge froze our milk! The lamp shades were loose and the switches were a little scarry! There was evidence of other peoples hair in the bath and on the floor when we got there. Yuk! Shame the room had 2 double beds and not a king.My husband and I were very "close". The bar was like a mortuary. You could have heard a pin drop and it had a strnge smell. Some of the "quests" looked a little........... unsavoury. We asume there are some rooms let for social housing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear CC,
I'm almost at a loss for words. It's disturbing to read about your recent stay at our hotel. Your comments have been fowarded to the housekeeping department and will be used as a reminder to be more conscientious and detail-oriented. Please accept my apologies as your experience is not indicitive of our service culture. All walks of life come to stay at our hotel and all are welcome; however, we do not participate in social housing. Our hotel is excited for the numerous renovation projects in the works, such as, the installation of an elevator and upcoming projects including new carpeting through the entire property and facelifts to the restaurant and lounge. Again, we regret your adverse experience while staying with us and respectively request the chance to provide a higher quality experience in the future.
LINY
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is a cheap clean hotel we stay at when skiing Killington. The rooms are clean and currently being renovated. Unfortunately they are sticking with double beds instead of going to queen size and the heavy wooden doors slam everytime closed so you can here coming and going of everyone. Breakfast is hit or miss, cold toast, runny eggs, uncooked bacon. Swim at your own risk as the water was too cloudy to see the bottom in a 3.5 foot deep pool and smelled horribly of chlorine wich means they aren't using enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Torny,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Let me begin by apologizing for providing services below your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as it allows for opportunities to improve. We aim to exceed guest expectations to ensure a positive experience at our hotel so, we appreciate your thoughts and opinions. Given we strive to be better and have plans to renovate, our hope is to have the chance to serve you better in the future and thank you for your consideration.
Kathmandu, Nepal
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just returned home from Rutland Vermont. We skied Killington and stayed at the Holiday Inn Rutland for four nights. The hotel was OK. The pros: On check-in our room was clean and well put together, the mattresses were comfortable. Our room had a very nice plasma TV, a small refrigerator and a microwave. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The cons: The room just had double beds, we were traveling with our son who got one of the beds and my husband and I shared the second double bed, it was a bit small for the two of us. Twice while showering the water turned from hot to icy cold. The hallway rugs need changing They looked quite dirty and the pool area was pretty unusable. The pool water was cloudy and on our last evening it was filled with about 60 boys so they must rent it out to the community for events.We were really looking forward to soaking in the hot tub after a hard day's skiing but both hot tubs were closed, one was empty and one was half full with stagnate water. They are renovating the hotel so hopefully the pool area and hot tubs will be fixed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
John C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Nursepark,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel as it is a valuable source of information for the public and this hotel; wherein, we strive to provide exceptional service. Moreover, thank you for pointing out our strengths and weakness within your review. The ski season draws buses of young people into the area and this hotel. Unfortunately, you stay coincided with one or more of these groups. Subsequently, it appears as though we were challenged with keeping up our pool and hot tubs so, I apologize. I know it makes no difference now, but for your interest in the future and those reading reviews and responses, the hot tubs are operating. Again, I'm sorry you were unable to use and enjoy them each day of your stay. While we do rent the pool to community members for toddler parties, they are booked mostly on Sundays (rarely Saturdays) late morning until 4pm. As you know, we have aggressive plans for renovations this spring/summer season which includes new carpeting in all hallways and all rooms. In closing, thank you for recognizing the good work produced by our housekeeping and front desk departments. We really do aim to exceed guest expectations and hope we have the opportunity to exceed yours in the future.