“Excellent place for the money”

Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Great value place, and helpful staff

• Stayed: July 2007

Reviewed January 24, 2008

Perspective: I'm a business traveler, so my comments must be taken as such:

Pros:
- Had everything I needed; including 10% discount to adjacent restaurant
- Plenty of parking.
- Location is set back away from the main road, which was nice.
- It was slightly noisy, but that doesn't bother me. It might others. If so, ask for a room facing away from Rt. 7
- Outstanding breakfast offerings, including a waffle iron and batter. Much more than expected. Would have liked the option of skim milk (all they had was 1%), but was overwhelmed by the options. It was overseen by a very personable staff member who seemed to know many of the guests, which was a nice touch. It was open at 6:30, as advertised, and that was appreciated by several of us. Deserves a description above "Continental"

Cons
- Wireless access was not functioning, and front desk was not particularly helpful ("try rebooting your computer.") I had no problem connecting to the wireless network; it was that the wireless network was not connected to the internet. What good is a connection if not connected to the web? The night desk clerk told me the one in the lobby was working, so... it must be my problem... They had one computer available in lobby on desk facing everyone, including those working at desk. Used it sparingly, just for high priority emails, rather than having the luxury of being able to catch up on online email in my room.
I was persistent the second day of my stay and was able to speak to Vicki at the front desk who was so much more helpful than the night person. She gave me a toll free number to call. When I did, they agreed there was a problem and suggested I get a bridge from the front desk. That solved the problem. Not sure why the night clerk didn't know about either the help desk number, or about the option of a bridge. I will know next time to tell them what I want instead of waiting for them to tell me what they don't know.

- Advertised free newspaper. I've come to expect that meant at my door. Was not. Not available in breakfast area on third floor. Was in lobby if wanted to trek there and get one. I wasn't the only one who asked for it, but no move to get one for us. Learned their system by day 2, but still…

I would call this a very nice place that just hasn't found its niche yet. It could do so many little things to improve the service, but there didn’t seem to be any interest in doing so. I had read criticisms of the breakfast that was included, and I would definitely disagree with those.

Associated Restaurant. South Station
I ate there on a Tuesday night in January, when I expected there to be a fair amount of activity given its proximity to Killington. Wrong. I was one of three people in the entire restaurant at 6:30. Took a while for barkeep to notice me; was involved in discussions with wait staff who were sitting at the bar "waiting" for, not on, customers. Service was fast when ordered, but little attention given after that, as in, for second beverage to have with meal. Bar keep offered me a newspaper, which was a nice touch, and showed me he recognized I was a solo diner with nothing else to occupy me. Nice initiative on his part.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank manfrompawtucket
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Our stay was fine. The manager at the front was great. The lady who makes the breakfast on the 3rd floor couldn't be nicer. Our room was average. It was really just a basic hotel room. I felt the Orbitz price was too high when i learned that we could have had the room for about 25 bucks cheaper by walking in off the street. I thought our problems were related to orbitz.. We wanted no smoking and there were only smoking rooms. The manager offered to give us a smoke eater but really quite kindly gave us a room that is used for staff members 'the mangers special'. It turned out okay and I would say the staff is great. I would never use orbitz again and would book directly in hotel. 14 miles to killington was sweet. Restaurant 'sirloin saloon' was great (but pricey). They might have free dessert coupons at front desk. macdonalds next store. Coffee pot in room.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank lizzied2003
Reviewed October 3, 2007

Great location, just half a short block from the main entrance of the Vermont State Fair grounds. Generally quiet, comfortable, very clean, and convenient to all kinds of restaurants and services.
Good breakfast included in the price, wireless internet access, and comfortable beds.
I stayed four nights here, and was very satisfied with it. Nothing special (rooms lack microwaves and refrigerators), but overall a good value and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2007

For what it is, an overnight hotel for those on the road, this place is above average and really reasonable through Priceline. Especially nice is the lady who serves breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank janetiler
Reviewed March 28, 2007

I stayed for 3 nights at the hotel. The room wasn't fancy but very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was awesome. For the price, it's definitely worth it! I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank supattrat
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We stayed at this hotel in August of 2006. They have recently finished a renovation, so there are new carpets and furniture throughout.
This is a basic hotel, no frills, but still it is clean and comfortable. The lobby is small and crowded, and people actually vie for parking spots in the parking lot, which is too small and inconvenient. We did not try the restaurant across the street but did try the Sirloin Saloon within walking distance, which was OK (they served my kids' salmon raw-ish inside). McDonald's is right on the corner near the hotel.
The pool is tiny and was cloudy. Yech. The whirlpool is old fashioned and looked slippery. We did not try the sauna.
This towel thing is a valid point. Even though it must have been obvious that we were four people in the room, the maid continuously left only 2 sets of towels, which I found extremely annoying. The bathroom is tiny and the useless fan is attached to the lightswitch, so it came on whenever you used the light. There was a heat light in the ceiling, and the bathtub had one of those old fashioed clotheslines you pull out of a round silver ring, kind of handy if you had clothes pins. The bathtubs were definitely NOT renovated and were scratched and dirty-looking.
The beds were a little high but not too bad; but the bedding had cigarette burn-holes in them. Yech. Our view was of a cinderblock wall into the Army Depot next door.
The location is reasonable, and in VT they roll up the sidewalks so it was actually quiet at night. There is every chain of fast food you can imagine right there on Route 7, and Ponderosa, plus a Hannaford Grocery Store within 1/4 mile. Gas stations and Dunkin Donuts are nearby too. Rutland itself is NOT the ideal picturesque Vermont town. It's a small, ugly city, but the hotel is convenient to Killington skiing, only about 10 min. up the hill. The VT Maple Museum is nearby but don't bother. It was dumb.
The breakfast was pretty good, hard boiled eggs, make-your-own waffles, muffins, donuts, cereal, breads, toaster, yogurt, juices. The breakfast staff was friendly and warm.
Don't expect frills, but a clean night's stay over all.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank I_love_baking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutland
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Holiday Inn Rutland-Killington Area
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#7 of 12 in Rutland
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge

Been to Comfort Inn Trolley Square? Share your experiences!