WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Comfort Inn Trolley Square

Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
Columbus, Ohio
“Clean, Priced Right and Good Restaurant/Bar”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Good Location with Restaurant and Bar. Many other food options nearby as well. Hotel is just a short drive from downtown Rutland. Staff was very nice and helpful with questions we had about the area. Will definately stay there on our next trip through Vermont.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here 1 night while passing through Vermont to the got to the Rockwell Museum. Chose it because it was the only place we could find near stuff that was open past 9pm in sleepy Rutland. Plus it wasn't expensive. Rooms were spacious, clean enough, but generally fairly average. Fine for 1 night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel wasn't anything spectacular and the room could have been a bit cleaner, but it was the right value for the price. The pool was too cold and the spa too hot. I would probably stay if it only required 1 night, but not more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Rutland hotels

Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night so we could attend the VT State Fair, which was approximately a block and half away. For proximity to the fair grounds, no hotel is better. But that's where it starts and ends for this place.
I had called over the day before to check on our reservation and was told that check-in was at 3PM, but that our room should likely be ready by noon. Epic fail. When we got there at 2:30PM, our room still wasn't ready. I mentioned the phone conversation to the front desk clerk who said, "I don't know who would have told you that. Our check-in is at 3PM" No apology, just attitude. So, while we pissed away valuable time that could have been spent at the State Fair waiting to see if we could be put into another room, we decided to use the hotel computer in the (tiny!) entrance lounge area to print our boarding passes for our flight the next morning.
It's nice to have a computer/printer for guests to do this. It's even better when it works!
I tried multiple times to get our tickets to print, only to have the printer crap out on me each time. The front desk clerk had no clue how to fix the printer. Instead she complained that the hotel was recently taken over by new management and everything had been turned on its ear. Y'know what? I don't want excuses when I travel, I want service. I realize that the Comfort Inn isn't the creme de la creme of hotels, but even so, this to me was unacceptable. Finally, the clerk told me to send my tickets to her email so she could print them. What? I don't know you, Lady. I'm not sending you my email address. In the end, though, I did, in an effort to print my tickets. What a mess. She had no clue how to even use her own computer. Ultimately I had to step behind the front desk to print ... a receipt for online check-in, because I couldn't print the tickets.
When we finally got up to the room it was wicked damp. Ick. Even with air conditioning, it was soggy. That's nasty.
I'd rate this review poor, but since the bed was comfortable and the shower was nice, I'm being generous.
Breakfast the next morning was nice, too, although nothing to write home about. I did notice a woman having considerable difficulty splitting open the two halves of an English muffin and I overheard the breakfast room attendant say to her, "You're having trouble because it's frozen." That's what you put out for guests to eat? Again, absolutely unacceptable.
If this is the way this joint runs under new management, I'm scared to consider what it was like under the old management. Truly not a place I'd recommend staying, unless you are going to the State Fair, value ease of access over everything else and are very tolerant of incompetent staff.

Room Tip: Stress the importance of a room that's NOT damp. I'd suggest for that a room on a higher flo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chattytravelinbabe
Providence, RI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you need to stay in Rutland, this is a cost effective option. Keep in mind that Rutland is the downtrodden crossroads of central Vermont and not a destination. The location is very convenient relative to the local highways and there is very acceptable restaurant (The Station) within walking distance. The quality of this hotel’s offerings is highly variable. The building and rooms are clean but in dire need of updates and minor repairs; however the room TV and breakfasts are much better than another Quality Inn at which we also recently stayed and which cost almost double per night.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just stayed one night with my family. Very dates. Bedrooms and decor looked like something from the 70's. Staff were friendly and the location was good. The breakfast buffet was very generous and unexpected. However the hotel was good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Madera, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel had just been sold to new owners, so the staff were not optimistic yet still friendly. Room was acceptable, at $70 through hotelcoupons.com, we had no complaints. Great location in the small town near restraunts and right on the highway.

Room Tip: Be advised, new owners take over soon.