“Near a bowlarama, dive bar, and lots of fast food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Trolley Square

Comfort Inn Trolley Square
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Rutland
London, United Kingdom
“Near a bowlarama, dive bar, and lots of fast food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Stayed here 1 night while passing through Vermont to the got to the Rockwell Museum. Chose it because it was the only place we could find near stuff that was open past 9pm in sleepy Rutland. Plus it wasn't expensive. Rooms were spacious, clean enough, but generally fairly average. Fine for 1 night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Arlington, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The hotel wasn't anything spectacular and the room could have been a bit cleaner, but it was the right value for the price. The pool was too cold and the spa too hot. I would probably stay if it only required 1 night, but not more.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night so we could attend the VT State Fair, which was approximately a block and half away. For proximity to the fair grounds, no hotel is better. But that's where it starts and ends for this place.
I had called over the day before to check on our reservation and was told that check-in was at 3PM, but that our room should likely be ready by noon. Epic fail. When we got there at 2:30PM, our room still wasn't ready. I mentioned the phone conversation to the front desk clerk who said, "I don't know who would have told you that. Our check-in is at 3PM" No apology, just attitude. So, while we pissed away valuable time that could have been spent at the State Fair waiting to see if we could be put into another room, we decided to use the hotel computer in the (tiny!) entrance lounge area to print our boarding passes for our flight the next morning.
It's nice to have a computer/printer for guests to do this. It's even better when it works!
I tried multiple times to get our tickets to print, only to have the printer crap out on me each time. The front desk clerk had no clue how to fix the printer. Instead she complained that the hotel was recently taken over by new management and everything had been turned on its ear. Y'know what? I don't want excuses when I travel, I want service. I realize that the Comfort Inn isn't the creme de la creme of hotels, but even so, this to me was unacceptable. Finally, the clerk told me to send my tickets to her email so she could print them. What? I don't know you, Lady. I'm not sending you my email address. In the end, though, I did, in an effort to print my tickets. What a mess. She had no clue how to even use her own computer. Ultimately I had to step behind the front desk to print ... a receipt for online check-in, because I couldn't print the tickets.
When we finally got up to the room it was wicked damp. Ick. Even with air conditioning, it was soggy. That's nasty.
I'd rate this review poor, but since the bed was comfortable and the shower was nice, I'm being generous.
Breakfast the next morning was nice, too, although nothing to write home about. I did notice a woman having considerable difficulty splitting open the two halves of an English muffin and I overheard the breakfast room attendant say to her, "You're having trouble because it's frozen." That's what you put out for guests to eat? Again, absolutely unacceptable.
If this is the way this joint runs under new management, I'm scared to consider what it was like under the old management. Truly not a place I'd recommend staying, unless you are going to the State Fair, value ease of access over everything else and are very tolerant of incompetent staff.

Room Tip: Stress the importance of a room that's NOT damp. I'd suggest for that a room on a higher flo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
1 Thank Chattytravelinbabe
Providence, RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you need to stay in Rutland, this is a cost effective option. Keep in mind that Rutland is the downtrodden crossroads of central Vermont and not a destination. The location is very convenient relative to the local highways and there is very acceptable restaurant (The Station) within walking distance. The quality of this hotel’s offerings is highly variable. The building and rooms are clean but in dire need of updates and minor repairs; however the room TV and breakfasts are much better than another Quality Inn at which we also recently stayed and which cost almost double per night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Just stayed one night with my family. Very dates. Bedrooms and decor looked like something from the 70's. Staff were friendly and the location was good. The breakfast buffet was very generous and unexpected. However the hotel was good value.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Madera, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This hotel had just been sold to new owners, so the staff were not optimistic yet still friendly. Room was acceptable, at $70 through hotelcoupons.com, we had no complaints. Great location in the small town near restraunts and right on the highway.

Room Tip: Be advised, new owners take over soon.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Room was damp and smelled terrible. It was located directly across from the ice maker which was very loud even when not in use. Linens and furniture very low quality. Lobby is dank and dismal. We hesitated to unpack and would have bolted had we already driven 4 hours and been shut out of nicer areas in the region due to college weekends.
Despite being told they were not full for the night, the mgr refused to move us to another room when I asked after discovering the incredibly loud AC, which compounded the noise from the ice machine. We were too tired to put up a fight. When we checked out in the morning, we were not asked about our stay. They must know better than to ask.
Not sure where all the love for this place is coming from. Bored front desk clerks?

• Stayed August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutland
Days Inn Rutland/Killington Area
#7 of 12 in Rutland
3.0 of 5 stars 202 reviews
Holiday Inn Rutland/Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge

Been to Comfort Inn Trolley Square? Share your experiences!