“Defintely not what I was expecting”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rochester
Liberty Hill Farm Inn
GreenLeadersGold level
“Defintely not what I was expecting”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

When I arrived at Liberty Hill Farm my first thoughts were, "am I in the right place?" Although the barn looked the same from the photos on the Internet,the photos couldn't hide the dirt and worn down appearance of the farm. I think that a visitor needs to understand that you are not at a typical B& B but really staying in someone's home. There is no cell service and although there are activities, they are completely self guided because people are working. I couldn't figure out how to enter the barn and frankly don't feel comfortable nosing around other's property without a guide. I did like the calves and the owners told me a bit about them. I was uncomfortable feeling like I was intruding into someone's life. The food was good, just like a dinner at a friend's home. For cleanliness and amenties go somewhere else.

4 Thank Dolcib

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
vermont
Reviewed January 11, 2010

Okay so we went to Liberty Hill for a Vermont Experience Retreat because we had some folks from San Francisco with us - but boy was I impressed with the experience. Beth and Bob are as gracious and wonderful as it gets. I had to get a package delivered to Killington Vermont (15 minutes down the road) and Bob offered to drive it for me. The food was all homecooked and out of this world excellent. If you want a great farmhouse experience I highly recommend Liberty Hill

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank phitmom802
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 4, 2008

For the second part of our vacation (after NYC), we headed up to Vermont for a stay at Liberty Hill Farm. This was easily the highlight of our vacation.

While staying on a real dairy farm may not be for everyone--it was a great choice for our family. With no cell coverage and no internet it forces you to have "old-fashioned" fun. Which is a good thing.

We stayed in two rooms. One with four single beds for the boys, and one down the hall for us. There was one other room on the floor that shared the bathroom with us.

Breakfast and dinner are both prepared by Beth, and served family style at the large table with all the other guests. We made many new friends during our 3 nights. And the meals were delicious.

For day time activities we drove to Pico Mountain (20 minutes) for the Adventure Center one day and to Ben & Jerry's (60 minutes) for the tour/sampling another day.

On the farm you got to play with the many cats/kittens that are running around outside and we went tubing in the White River many times. The kids (and adults) also played wiffle ball in the front yard a few times.

• Liked — Old-fashion fun, cows/calves, peace and quiet, tubing in the river
  • Disliked — roosters waking me up very early in the morning
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DougM1965
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Great farm stay in the middle of the Green Mountains in Vermont. Beautiful scenic drive to get to the farm, which resembles something out of a Norman Rockwell painting!
The farmers who run the farm are super friendly...and they aren't putting on a show for their guests. These people are genuine farmers who work very hard to make a living and maintain traditional farming.
The best part about staying on this farm is being able to run free and visit with the various farm animals everywhere! :)
The food was excellent and served family style. The bed in the upstairs double-bed room was super comfy and a claw-foot tub welcomed you for a long, hot bath!
We only stayed here one night, but it was a night well spent on a short 4-day trip to Vermont.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank bonjonsc
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2006

This really is a terrific place to stay, especially with children. We were greeted warmly, provided with a clean, nicely sized room, given some easy ground rules, and then basically given the run of the property. Beth's hospitality and cooking is excellent, and she even went the extra mile and made a birthday cake for my son whose birthday occurred during our visit. There is plenty to do -- we intertubed down the White River together, milked cows, jumped in the hay, caught chickens, swang on the tire swing, petted the farm cats, read books, and did a little sightseeing in the neighboring towns. Liberty Hill Farm is a wonderful value but, more to the point, a warm and inviting place to relax and experience a way of life that is so different than what most of us deal with daily, yet so important to the basic fabric of our country and history. This was a real treat.

• Liked — Beautiful setting, great food, good for the kids
  • Disliked — The cow by-products! :)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank PasadenaBunch
New Hampshire
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I felt sad when I left Liberty Hill Farm. I felt sad because this farm like so many others could fade away leaving Vermont in the same shape as so many other states - consumed by houses and strip malls. The beautiful pastures of fresh mowed hay will be obliviated by housing complexes and rabid consummerism. If there's ever a national emergency - we will all die because we have no local farms left to support us. We need to help our farmers.

Please visit the Liberty Hill Farm - have fun with your children and save a wonderful farming family and 200 dairy cows. Give your children a once in a lifetime experience. We had so much fun sharing their home, their table, their house, kittens, cows, sheep, chickens, horse and the absolutely breathtaking scenery along the great tubing river - The White River. Beth will make you and your family feel welcome and the meals are unbelievable. For $85 per adult you get two meals you won't forget (breakfast and dinner). We were always lined up eagerly awaiting breakfast and dinner time.

Where do I start - my child (age 10) lived without the TV and computer and managed to have a ball. This farming family lets the children run free in the barn and around it. They can chase the kittens, help the farm hands milk and feed the cows. I even saw some guests helping with the haying. The farm is located on a dirt road along the White River. They even have their own private beach for swimming. We had a blast when we went 8 miles down the road and rented a tube and tubed the river for 3 hours. This part of Vermont is really beautiful.

Beth said there used to be 11 dairy farms in this area. It's now down to one - theirs.... Like all farmers they are struggling to keep their wonderful farm and way of life together. That's why she started her B&B 22 years ago. It's been written up in magazines like Family Fun, etc. Their son is currently building another barn on the property so he can start joining the family and having his own herd of cows. This is a real dairy farm. You get to see what it's really like - right down to the roosters crowing and the milk truck coming every morning at 4:00 a.m. (I say this is in the middle of the night - Beth says it's morning)

Some guests were sitting in the quiet front yard with a kitten in their laps while the children were swinging on a tire swing or chasing kittens. One little girl had cow boots on and she was coming from the barn with her Dad. One Dad was taking his two sons fishing down at the bridge. You can run in and out of this house and feel right at home - we all felt like family by the time we left. It was awesome.

The bedrooms aren't fancy but old fashion comfy and you do share bathrooms but all of us agreed it felt like home. There's always the smell of homemade cooking and a great front porch for sitting and taking in the stars. The house is so clean and pretty. After we left Liberty we went to a fancy Inn and I missed being at the farm. I missed the connected feeling you get with the land and seeing people working and eating together as friends and family. There were guests from as far away as California. We were a little shy when we got there and by the time we left we were dragging our feet. We didn't want to leave and our daughter cried because we had too.

I loved watching the sunset over the mountains, peaceful cows munching in the fields and the smell of fermenting corn and fresh mowed hay. I love having someone as nice as Beth cooking my family a wonderful home-cooked meal and taking the time to educate all of us about farm living. I loved watching the children play together free as the kittens they were chasing. It wasn't just a bed & breakfast but a real Vermont experience. You can't buy this at a fancy Inn or make believe it at a gentlemen's farm. This is the real thing. Come and be a part of it. Let your children experience it and help save a farm. You'll be glad you did.

• Liked — It's a real dairy farm and especially wonderful for children and adults who love farms.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go tubing on the White River.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank watervillevalley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Maple Leaf Inn
Maple Leaf Inn
#1 of 4 in Barnard
The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Jackson House Inn
Jackson House Inn
#1 of 16 in Woodstock

Been to Liberty Hill Farm Inn? Share your experiences!