“A great Vermont getaway cabin.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Robert Frost Mountain Cabins

Robert Frost Mountain Cabins
Lancaster, Massachusetts
“A great Vermont getaway cabin.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is our second stay at the Robert Frost Mountain Cabins and we loved it just as much as the first one. Marty and his canine friends, Merlin & Tess came by to greet us and they were very hospitable. We stayed three nights and were treated to homemade salsa and fresh (and still warm) blueberry muffins. Marty was very helpful in recommending hiking trails in the area and did everything he could to make us happy. We loved the screened porch, it was like an additional room on the cabin. We watched some pretty awesome thunderstorms from the porch and got some much needed rest & relaxation. Thank you Marty, for making us feel like old friends at the Robert Frost Mountain Cabins....we will be back, for sure!

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in the Peak Perspective Cabin #1. The view of the mountains was breathtakin...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VTCabins, Owner at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
It was great to have you with us again. Thanks so much for your support and valuable feedback about our cabins and services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Robert Frost Mountain Cabins for six weeks. Our experience was outstanding. The cabin was the perfect mix of rustic and comfortable. We especially loved the screened in porch. There's a grill to use, plenty of kitchen stuff, and, of course, the picturesque landscape. The owners, Marty and Carol, are the definition of hospitality. Not only did they provide anything we needed (or might need), they made campfires for us, baked us muffins, left us packages that were mailed, picked fresh berries, delivered fresh, local greens, and simply enhanced our stay in every way possible. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

VTCabins, Owner at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
It was such a pleasure to have you with us this summer. We're looking forward to welcoming you with open arms when you return.
Watertown, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My parents, husband and I recently booked one of these cabins for an extended weekend trip to Vermont. We spent a few weeks searching for a neat 2 bedroom place for our home base, and from the looks of these cabins, they seemed to fit the bill perfectly. If only there had been more tripadvisor reviews, we would have known...

The owners live right on the property, which is located on a dirt road about 5 miles from town. This is similar to our own house, so it was not a nuisance for us at all. I just thought that it was odd they never mentioned this! People who are not comfortable in the country may have a problem with the road.

We arrived at about 7pm. The owners were outside making a campfire. They didn't wave or say hi or introduce themselves at all. We just drove to the only cabin that looked empty, and walked inside. Upon entering, we were immediately taken back by the strong smell of urethane or varnish (we had booked their newest cabin, which was just finished 2 months prior to our stay). It seemed to penetrate the entire building. We walked around hoping to pinpoint the smell, but we were unsuccessful.

Now let me just start by saying that my husband and I are both custom home builders. We work with a variety of materials (mostly green eco-friendly products) and therefore we know construction fumes when we smell them. This was definitely some sort of varnish. We waited about 20 minutes and then decided to walk to the owner's campfire to ask them about the smell (and for some toilet paper, as they did not provide any).

Carol, one of the owners, replied "Oh really, that's odd. No one else has mentioned that". We continued to explain how the smell was bothersome to my husband and that it must be some type of finish or varnish, but she didn't seem to care. She didn't even offer to come and see for herself! That's the first thing I would have done, whether I believed the renter or not, I would at least see for myself and try to make them comfortable. After all, it would have given us a better impression and I probably wouldn't have been writing this review.

But, it was too late at night, we had no where else to go, and since the owner's were unresponsive, we went back to the cabin for the night. We had to leave all the windows open (it was only 40 degrees out) so we were very uncomfortable. My husband's eyes were watering. My father had to get up 3 times in the middle of the night to go out and get some fresh air. When we woke up in the morning, we were going to make coffee but the coffee maker was old and dirty. It looked like it was 10 years old and had been picked up at a garage sale. The coffee provided expired in March.

Knowing we couldn't spend another night like this, we quickly packed our things and started to head out. The other owner, Marty, caught us on the way out and acknowledged our complaint from last night. To our surprise, he was actually very nice and understanding. He told us he would help us find different accommodations or we were free to find our own, just to call and let him know.

So here's where the story gets interesting. We found different accommodations. We called Marty and he said okay no problem, thanks for letting me know, you're all set. He never mentioned any additional fees. 20 minutes later Carol called back and said in a very snippy tone that she hopes we realize we will be charged a $40 cancellation fee because they reserved this cabin for us, and now it is vacant! They are losing money! Normally, she said, they would charge us for the full night, but she was being "reasonable" by only charging a $40 fee. She claimed this was to cover the credit card costs (which are NOT $40 by the way). My husband was very professional and tried reminding her that we really liked the cabin, and we were not canceling our 2nd night for any reason other than that we couldn't breathe or sleep, that we felt like it was a health concern, and that we shouldn't be forced to pay another $175 a night for a place that is unhealthy to be in. If anything, we should have been reimbursed for the first night of pain and suffering (by the way they also charged $20 extra for having more than 2 people in the cabin even though they sleep 4 comfortably).

She would not budge. My husband said, okay I don't want to argue any longer and since you don't seem to be responsive to my concerns, if you really feel like that's fair then go ahead and charge us the fee. But, I hope you realize that we will not be writing a good review at all.

Guess what? She didn't care - so here's your review, Carol.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank outdoorventurer
We respect everyone’s right to free speech and think that Trip Advisor is a great source of unfiltered commentary. In addition, we are grateful for guest inputs that have initiated improvements to our cabins, services and property.

In this case, the guest was very upset about a $25 cancellation fee. Our cancellation policy is stated on our website and is included in each reservation confirmation. Because of the concern raised about an odor, we offered to find them alternative accommodations, which they declined. When the reviewer called late in the afternoon to notify us that they would not be returning for the second night of their stay, we deviated from our policy and offered not to charge them for the second night. We did ask for payment for the first night and the $25 cancellation fee. On the phone, the reviewer’s husband felt that was a fair compromise.

Also of note, the reviewer's visit with us was on May 17, 2013. The cabin they stayed in was opened to rentals beginning March 2, 2013. Prior to the reviewer’s arrival, 10 people spent a total of 14 nights in the cabin and the cabin was occupied by 18 additional people for a total of 74 nights as of August 31st. None of the guests before or after noted an unpleasant odor or gave us any negative feedback directly, through our guest books in the cabin, or via independent review sites. In addition, the guests who occupied the same cabin, two nights after the reviewer’s visit, wrote a lengthy entry in the guest book thanking us for our hospitality and “warm, inviting” cabins.

We recognize that some people are more sensitive to certain things than others. Our construction methods intentionally minimize the use of high VOC products. We openly share the details with anyone expressing interest. Please feel free to contact us.
Clifton Park
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

We're reluctant to review RFMC honestly because we'd like to keep it our little secret. Beautiful seclusion with modern convenience. Delightful and attentive owners. We will be going back soon and often, either to hike the mountains, shop in Middlebury or just decompress on the screened porch. "You come too."

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the cabins. Ours looked back into the woods. The other three face...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

VTCabins, Owner at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Thank you for choosing to spend your anniversary with us. It was an honor to make our newest cabin available to you, your wife and sweet dog. We hope to see you again.
Woodberry Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed in Cabin 3 for over six weeks this summer. Carol and Marty were the most amazing, welcoming, accommodating hosts that I've ever been around. Marty was so helpful in making sure our stay was comfortable. He brought over fans and even installed an AC unit during a particularly hot week. He and Carol made camp fires, brought over fresh berries, mailed us stuff we forgot when we left, etc. Basically, they went out of their way every day to ensure our enjoyment.

The cabin itself was just what my wife and I were looking for. It was comfortable and quiet. We ate most meals on our screened in porch. The features in the cabin were modern and clean. My wife, who is not much of outdoorsman, was very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We really enjoyed having you stay with us this summer! So glad that the hot spell passed and that you were able to enjoy the more temperate weather that's more typical for July and August in Vermont. Best of luck with the rest of your studies. Hope to see you again!
Colonie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We decided to plan a motorcycle trip to Lake Champlain and decided to stay in Vermont because of some advice from one of my former supervisor's who has a camp on Lake Champlain. Looking at the places my supervisor suggested I decided to look at the link to Robert Frost Mountain Cabins. After looking at it I sent the link to one of my fellow bikers and he texted back, "Looks great, book it". The decision to stay there was excellent. The cabins were cozy, clean and roomy. Everything you would want. The first night we sat around the camp fire and enjoyed the country atmosphere talking with a few of the other people staying for the weekend. Marty and his Wife also stopped by and we enjoyed there company as well. Very nice people and they made you feel like family. A real nice touch was on the morning we were leaving Marty came by with a picnic basket with home made blue berry muffins that his wife Carol had freshly baked for us. My buddy Sparky and I talked about the few days we stayed and said how much our wifes would like a place like this. We were the first group of motorcyclists to stay at RFMC and probably won't be the last. I took photos with my IPhone to show my Wife and Friends. Great weekend

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 3 and it was perfect. The other cabins looked just as nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VTCabins, Owner at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thanks so much for choosing to stay with us. We recognize that the stretch of gravel road through the forest leading to our property is beautiful, but it isn't ideal for motorcycles (despite the great job that our Roads Commissioner does to maintain them year round). So glad to hear that you thought it was worth the ride. You and your friends brought laughter to the campfire and smiles to our faces. Please bring your "better halves" back for a romantic getaway.
Lawrenceville, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I could never possibly say enough good things about our experience at the Robert Frost Mountain Cabins. My wife, one year old son, and I stayed there from June 24th through August 6th while I was in graduate school, and our stay there was just as rewarding as the classes that I took.

The cabin itself was spacious and inviting. I spent many a night curled up in the reading nook completing a reading assignment or sitting on the fenced in back porch distracted from my assignment by the beauty of yet another sunset. The bedrooms were large--we were able to move the two twin-sized beds out of the way in order to set up our son's full crib in the second bedroom--yet homey, right down to the patchwork quilts on the beds. Additionally, the linen service was an especially helpful touch. The kitchen and dining room were perfect for us, as our stay was extended; we were able to cook full meals and sit down together as a family to eat. Though we appreciated the rustic feel and look of the cabin, it was not really a cabin in the truest definition of the words, as it had the feel more of a bed and breakfast.

While the amenities were great, Marty and Carol (as well as Tessa and Merlin!) were what made our stay such an unforgettable experience. They stopped by on a daily basis to check in on us, making sure that our every need was met, whether that meant directing us to a grocery store in town, inviting us to a campfire down at the fire pit, dropping off fresh eggs from the chicken coop or freshly baked blueberries muffins from Carol's oven, or even to check on the progress I was making on an essay. i will never forget the afternoon in which Marty stopped working on the newest cabin, though he was up against a tight deadline, because he refused to chance waking our son from his afternoon nap. It was these daily acts of kindness that made our stay so memorable.

Though the road to the cabin was a bit bumpy in places, the location of cabins was nearly perfect for us: close enough to school that the commute wasn't onerous and far enough away to feel like we were on vacation. And then there was the beauty: so much beauty, almost too much to put into words. My son was just over a year old when we were there, and his love of wide open spaces was only deepen by being able to walk out the back door and into a giant pasture. Even better, when he was out there, Merlin and Tessa ran over to love on him! The highlight of my summer is most certainly encapsulated in a picture that my wife took of my son walking down the trail behind our cabin, coffee mug in hand, to pick freshly ripened blackberries (pointed out to us by Marty). His back is to my wife, and he's walking out ahead of her; clearly, he feels comfortable and safe, and blackberries are now one of his favorite snacks.

I know that my son will probably not remember his experiences at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins, but I will never forget that picture of him: independently walking ahead of his mother because he feels safe and completely at home. I know it sounds hokey, but that vision of my son is emblematic of our stay at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins; it is an experience that we will carry always in our hearts.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
VTCabins, Owner at Robert Frost Mountain Cabins, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We were so happy to provide a homey and safe setting for you and your family during your extended stay this summer. We, too, will fondly remember those weeks.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ripton
Middlebury Inn
#1 of 11 in Middlebury
Greystone Motel
Greystone Motel
#3 of 3 in Middlebury

Been to Robert Frost Mountain Cabins? Share your experiences!