“uneven production”

Keeper's Country Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Reading
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brownsville, Vermont
“uneven production”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

have eaten here several times and find the food very uneven. had terribly oversalted onion soup once, and a burger that was much more done than i requested. mentioned it to waiter and got no real response. at other times the food has been good, but rather overpriced. go here less than we used to because of price and uneven fair.

arthur s

• Visited October 2012
christopher l, Owner at Keeper's Country Cafe, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Arthur
sory about the salty soup and the over cooked burger,
as for the prices, I havent increased them by more then a dollar and the burger and salads and chicken and mussels have had the same price since the previous owners 3 years ago.
again I apologise for your discontent.
C

Woodstock, Vermont
“one of our favorites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

we love Keepers. It is a little bit of a hike(we live in Woodstock) but it is always worth it! The specials are always a wow so I dont think Ive ever ordered anything but one of the niughtly specials. Very low key ambiance w exceptional food!!!!!

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Glenn M
I wanted to thank you for your comment here on tripadvisor,
It is good to hear and I will share this with our staff.
C
Tunbridge, Vermont, United States
“maybe we did not look rich enough”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

we arrive there at 6:35 right behind another couple that held the door for us , and 5 minutes before a family of four . We ordered as soon as the waiter came over , two twenty dollar plates of rigatoni w/ sausage . Almost an hour later as I saw the couple that came before us finishing their plates , and the family of four recieving their main course , I asked what was going on , the waiter said it was confusing in the kithchen and our food would be right out . Ten minutes later I again asked to pay for our two beers , finally leaving $12 on table and leaving . My daughter lives not a 1/2 mile away with my 2 grandchildren , their loss at gainning two more regular customers . We went to spooners and were eating within 15 minutes , with GREAT service ! So no I do not reccomend Keepers . Unless you look like money you will know it soon . Oh yeah spend some of that money on new light fixtures .

3 Thank Matthew L
Providence, Rhode Island
“Where has this been all of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I decided that I needed sometime to unwind, so I headed up to the Woodstock area of Vermont to sit back and enjoy the foliage season. Seems that everywhere I went, someone was talking about Keeper's Restaurant ... so I decided to stop in and taste for myself. All I can say is "Oh,, My God, this is unbelievable!" I travel extensively and eat in restaurants all of the time, but I have to admit that this was one of the best meals I have ever had. You enter and meet the owner, whose husband is the chef. And you can feel the pride of ownership that they take in every course of the meal. You can see and taste the fresh, locally grown ingredients, and appreciate the ingenuity with which they are created and assembled. If you are ever in the Woodstock area, take an extra five minutes to head over to Keeper's and be prepared for one of the tuly fine dining experience of your lifetime!

Sanibel Island, Florida
“Usually delighted but not last night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We've been going to Keepers for years and have always enjoyed the experience. Last night I ordered the special, a rack of lamb for $39. The "rack" consisted of 2 single lamb chops, hardly what I'd call a "rack". I'd ordered it medium rare. One chop was the right temp but the other was rare, with white fat that hadn't cooked enough. I ate them both and they tasted good but I think two double-cut ribs or 4 single chops would have been a more appropriate portion size. The fingerling potatoes tasted very vinegary. However, my wife's French fries were excellent and plentiful so I enjoyed sharing them and a piece of her NY strip to make up for the missing ounces of meat on my plate.
I'll keep coming back but next time I see them offering a rack of lamb, I'll ask questions first and so should you, not just at Keepers but wherever you happen to dine.

1 Thank jeffliroff
christopher l, Owner at Keeper's Country Cafe, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Jeff
you told me in person it was one of the best lamb dishes you have ever had. we serve 1/2 # portion of domestic rack of lamb. 1 more bone would have made it 12oz ...3/4 #. and 4 would be a pound.
I am wondering where can you dine on this quality lamb for less?? Who is serving a pound of domestic lamb rack??

I apologize it wasnt to your "size" liking.