“Not the best option”

Cuisines: American, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Decided to try out Chadwick's, which opened in town about a year ago. I had heard the food wasn't top notch, but wanted to try it since we have only a handful of local dinner restaurants. The service was good and the menu was broader than I expected. They had Guinness on tap, which earned them some points. But the food, alas, was not as tasty as my fine Irish stout. The sweet potato fries were passable, but their dipping sauce seemed to be a mixture of mustard and high fructose corn syrup. I had a pesto pasta dish that was OK, but too oily. When I was done there was literally a pool of olive oil on the plate. And the pesto had a very weak/mild flavor. My son had steak which he said was OK, but that he has had better at home. My daughter had a cobb salad that she did not quite get halfway through. Not worth the money and by my measure not worth a return trip (unless you stay at the bar, which has a good variety or beers on tap).

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Thank goodness there is at least one restaurant open on a Sunday in Randolph (besides pizza and Chinese). The restaurant is located right down the hill from the back side of the Chandler Music Hall. As a previous reviewer said, take the road right at the end of the bridge which goes down to the restaurant. There is a small sign on the bridge for the turn. Service was very pleasant and attentive. The food came out quickly and correct. My friend had the pulled pork which he liked. The French fries were not crispy, but tasty. I had the pecan-encrusted salmon which was cooke well-done, just as I like. The tall piece of tuxedo cake was the highlight. There ware layers of yellow cake, vanilla cream, chocolate cream and chocolate cake.

There is a pub in the back, but we preferred to sit in the front dining room. It's a large space.

This is a very decent place to get good food after watching a concert (or performing) at the Chandler Music Hall.

I could only find a Facebook page, but I hope they develop a website. It was really hard to find a place open on a Sunday.

2  Thank puchochot1
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We are always surprised that Chadwick's isn't crowded. This pleasant restaurant, somewhat hard to find...turn right immediately after the bridge into town...has a good, varied menu and friendly service. Not gourmet, but straightforward American fare at a reasonable price. It seems most locals frequent the bar, but we like the dining room where it is comfortable and quiet. Also, it seems other restaurants in Randolph close early and are not open on Sunday or Monday evenings. Give this restaurant a chance. The macaroni and cheese is the best we've eaten...yummy with plenty of cheese and flavor --- and topped with bacon.

Reviewed March 1, 2012

We had a terrific meal in October, but have had two disappointing meals since then. The latest, their highly advertised prime rib was tasteless and more like pot roast. The broccoli was undercooked (and I like it steamed firm). My wife's meal similarly was disappointing. The prior (2nd) visit was a disappointment, especially after such a great start. The hostess was inexperienced (we found a table she couldn't) and our waitress was obviously in training. It may be rapid staff turnover - or it seemed so to us. I hope they aren't relying more on the bar-TV-pool table traffic in the other main room. I do not like giving negative reviews but we've decided to simply not return until we hear or read about improvement. Other folks have voiced similar complaints to us - even the couple we gave a gift certificate to! Too bad, given the few choices in Randolph. We hope the owner gets enough feedback to work to bring the quality back he started with.

3  Thank Vermonter05036
Reviewed December 11, 2011

..they served me prime rib -- not with au jus-- but a heavy gravy. The veggie of the day was cooked to a mush. Maybe it was just an off night? I hope the owners reconsider gravy on prime rib and don't cook your veggies to mush. I will give it another try. I would love to log on and give them all 5's...

2  Thank VTPaws