“Uneven is the name of the game”
Review of Black Krim Tavern

Black Krim Tavern
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Randolph
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“Uneven is the name of the game”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a hard review to write, because each diner had such a different experience. My husband had the veal sausage with red quinoa, and he thought it was WONDERFUL. I had the ratatouille, and it came with a hard central cake of something with a red sauce around it. The central cake turned out to be polenta, although it must have been mixed with other ingredients, because it neither looked nor tasted particularly like polenta. Once I broke the cake up and mixed it with the sauce, it was tasty, but I had expected the veggies to be in large enough pieces so that I could identify them. My daughter's experience was the most confusing. On the one hand, she had the tomato stack, tomatoes with feta cheese, which was very good. Her other order (she's a vegetarian, and there weren't a lot of options) was called tomato pasta. We were puzzled when she got a plate of greens, asparagus, grilled carrots, and several flat brown medallions, which tasted almost potato-like. It turned out that the medallions were whole-wheat pasta with tomato in them (we couldn't taste the tomato at all), and there was no taste in the asparagus or carrots. Blue cheese came in a separate little cup. I asked the server if she could have some of the quinoa, which was promptly supplied. She ended up putting the cheese on the quinoa and ignoring the "tomato pasta". To their credit, they removed it from our bill. It's hard to recommend this restaurant, although my husband was quite happy with his meal.

• Visited September 2013

“Delicious, quirky menu and friendly service.”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Really an enjoyable culinary experience with three categories of offerings...small, medium and large. Fresh seafood and local meats and vegetables, everything exceedingly tasty.

Visited August 2013
Dartmouth, MA
“Eclectic food for the adventurous diner”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

What a find in the attractive downtown of small Randolph, VT. To call it "farm-to-table" undersells the experience. While the small staff locally sources a lot of the food, the dinners are really all about the melding of flavors in a way I have never experienced. I chose roasted tofu for my dinner, and I NEVER eat tofu. I think it was the complement of the yam puree that swayed me, and when I discovered the melding of flavors I accomplished by swiping a piece of the tofu through the yam puree and a bit of goat cheese I realized the chef was an artist whose medium was the ability to bring together complimentary flavors. My three dining companions had similiar experiences with the roasted cod and the chicken. We had three desserts to share, and my favorite was the basil panna cotta, a delicate, smooth dessert with a hint of basil accompanied by fresh berries. The beer, wine, sake, and hard cider selection is creatively presented. We had a great food adventure at this restaurant and I still can't quite believe I found this incredibly different and creative place in quiet downtown Randolph. I'll be back!

• Visited August 2013
“Ecclectic menu with a creative culinary flair”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We really enjoyed our dining experience at the Black Krim Tavern. The halibut was expertly prepared with a fabulous sauce. Wished I'd had a piece of bread to sop up the last of the sauce but a spoon worked well too! They have a great variety of wines and saki drinks (they only serve beers and wines, no other alcohol). The braised beef was excellent also. Try the desserts - just enough for a perfect ending to a meal without making you feel overly stuffed. We found the prices to be very reasonable, the food delicious, and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Shannon is a great addition to the staff. We would definitely recommend!

• Visited June 2013
Waterbury VT
“Excellent Find”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had tickets to see a performance at the nearby Chandler Music Hall and found the Black Krim online when looking at where we might eat before hand. What an excellent choice. Great food. Sometimes you don't expect outstanding dining in small towns but this restaurant rivals bistros in major cities. This restaurant is very small so reservations are a good idea especially if there is an event at The Chandler or elsewhere nearby. All the tables were reserved when we called at the last minute but we got a seat at the small bar which was very comfortable. The bartender was great - very pleasant and knowledgeable about the food and wine selection. I look forward to going back someday.

• Visited April 2013