“Just Awful”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
New Haven, Connecticut
“Just Awful”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

It seems that a good philosophy doesn't necessarily equal good food or a good experience. This diner celebrates its commitment to local growers and providers. Unfortunately, this does not translate to a decent place to eat.

I stopped here for lunch and ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and fries, which should be a slam-dunk, but when it arrived it was clear that it wasn't. The bread was dry and seemed old and the sandwich looked and tasted like it had never been on a grill of any kind. The only concession to it being an actual *grilled* cheese was the damp spot of oil in the middle of the bread. The only thing worse than the sandwich was the fries, which were soggy and seemed like they had been in the deep fryer hours beforehand and reheated.

I wish I could say it was made up for the charm of the place (and in theory it should be charming) or the charm of the waitstaff, but it wasn't. A couple of the waitstaff were nice enough, but two of them were loudly complaining about some customers. Also, when I paid at the register, the woman who was giving me my change asked "You don't really want the other two cents, do you?" while she was holding the unbroken roll of pennies in her hand. Bizarre.

I would never eat here again, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you were in the verge of starvation.

“Worst experience service - food everything”
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Absolutely the last time we will ever set foot in this place. Extremely rude- surly waitstaff and terrible food. Food is supposed to be local but I swear the tomatoes were hot house variety and this is VERMONT in August. Pickles tasted like vlasic.

a total fraud- I wish I could give it a negative "0" rating

VerdeMont
“The Food of Yesterday at the Prices of Tomorrow!”
Reviewed April 29, 2007

My great-grandfather was a farmer in Vermont, and I doubt he would ever eat in this diner. My wife and I stopped for breakfast and were impressed by the appearance of the building, which is a classic diner car right out of the 30's or 40's. I ordered pancakes, which come with real Vt. syrup. To be more precise, about six drops of real Vt. syrup! I asked for more and was charged $1.50 for another small amount; seven drops this time! The waitress gushed about how it was real Vt. syrup and worth every penny; I wanted to tell her that as a real Vermonter, I wouldn't be leaving a tip as real Vermonters are frugal and don't like getting fleeced. My wife's meal came with sausage that was locally made and was free of preservitaves. Well, they should add preservitatives or something to give it flavor, as it was bland (just like the coffee). Also, the waitress was rude. The bill came to around $15 but wasn't worth it. As a local, I don't hear much good said about the Farmers Diner, but it you want to go were the locals go, try the Four Aces in Lebanon.

2 Thank VtBlackDog
USA
“Best Breakfast ever at Farmers Diner”
Reviewed September 26, 2006

This old fashioned diner delivered the best breakfast I have ever had. The menu is large and covers the usual eggs and meat. Then they offer homemade muesli with homemade yogurts, pancakes with lashings of pure maple syrup, plus vegetarian breakfasts with scrambled tofu, home made sausage, homemade muffins and breads and freshly squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice. The coffee is strong and organic. No Smuckers jams and jellies, but homemade jams or apricot and orange marmalade! The staff are super friendly and fun. The food is just excellent, but the ambiance in the back room is a little bland (otherwise 5 stars easy). So enjoy your evening dinners at Simon Pearce etc, but leave room for Farmers as you will not be disappointed

1 Thank MarthasMerlot