“The Fries Were Good But...”

The Farmers Diner Quechee Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Windsor, VT
“The Fries Were Good But...”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

As a local, I've been wanting to hit up the Diner for months, but have never had the opportunity on a weekday (the weekends are apparently quite busy). My parents, three children and I finally made the trip, but were quite disappointed with the experience, I'm sorry to say.

While the atmosphere was lovely, the service was quite poor. We waited an extraordinarily long time for our order to be delivered, and when our lunches were presented, I was horrified to see that my "well done" hamburger was, in fact, charred to the point of being inedible. When I brought this to the attention of the server, she did not make any clear attempt to apologize but said she would place the order again. Twenty five minutes later, the replacement burger was nowhere to be seen and my three children were becoming quite irritated with sitting for such a long time. My father asked the waitress when she thought the burger would be ready and she seemed surprised and said, "Well, the order might have been lost."

At this point it was necessary to leave the restaurant, so my father tried to settle up with the check and asked that the hamburger be removed from the bill. After speaking both with the waitress and the manager he was denied a refund and we never received a replacement hamburger or apology. It was quite a disappointing experience, especially given all the recent hype about the establishment.

I am sorry to say I will never return to the Farmer's Diner and will absolutely not recommend it to friends in the area given the appalling customer service. I would recommend that visitors continue down Rt.4 to Woodstock or to Simon Pearce for a delightful dining experience.

Texarkana, Texas
“Good meal and good service”
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We stopped here for lunch during our June vacation. We ordered hamburger and fries and it was great! The staff was friendly and informative, and everything was clean. We were seated in the dining area as the "dining car" was full and we had a really nice meal.
I hope others will have the same experience as we did, if returning to this area, we will stop here again.

Dayton, Ohio USA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just not that good”
Reviewed August 22, 2007

Apparently the best thing going for the Farmer's Diner is its PR person, because you'd think it was great based on the many raves in New England publications.

Having actually eaten there twice now, the experience is nothing to write home about.

The first time we went there it was soon after it opened and they were short staffed. When we asked why, we received cryptic answers until finally one of the staff said that a stomache bug was going around. Oh lovely. Just what you want to hear at a restaurant. The food was mediocre, but at least none of us got sick from it or the atmosphere.

Willing to give it another try - especially in view of the raves we'd since read - we returned earlier this summer to find a largely similar, unsatisfying experience. The food just is not worth the outlandish prices, and service is not great by any stretch. Plus, unless you get seated in the diner, the atmosphere is lousy, stuck between quaint and spartan.

Seek other options, as there are many in the Quechee area.

1 Thank Gorgerific
New Haven, Connecticut
“Just Awful”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

It seems that a good philosophy doesn't necessarily equal good food or a good experience. This diner celebrates its commitment to local growers and providers. Unfortunately, this does not translate to a decent place to eat.

I stopped here for lunch and ordered a grilled cheese sandwich and fries, which should be a slam-dunk, but when it arrived it was clear that it wasn't. The bread was dry and seemed old and the sandwich looked and tasted like it had never been on a grill of any kind. The only concession to it being an actual *grilled* cheese was the damp spot of oil in the middle of the bread. The only thing worse than the sandwich was the fries, which were soggy and seemed like they had been in the deep fryer hours beforehand and reheated.

I wish I could say it was made up for the charm of the place (and in theory it should be charming) or the charm of the waitstaff, but it wasn't. A couple of the waitstaff were nice enough, but two of them were loudly complaining about some customers. Also, when I paid at the register, the woman who was giving me my change asked "You don't really want the other two cents, do you?" while she was holding the unbroken roll of pennies in her hand. Bizarre.

I would never eat here again, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you were in the verge of starvation.

“Worst experience service - food everything”
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Absolutely the last time we will ever set foot in this place. Extremely rude- surly waitstaff and terrible food. Food is supposed to be local but I swear the tomatoes were hot house variety and this is VERMONT in August. Pickles tasted like vlasic.

a total fraud- I wish I could give it a negative "0" rating