“dinner with amazing view”
Review of Simon Pearce

Simon Pearce
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Quechee
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Simon Pearce Restaurant, recently voted one of America’s Most Romantic Restaurants by Travel and Leisure and Best of New England, VT 2011: Meal with a View, offers Creative American cuisine utilizing fresh local ingredients, thoughtfully prepared and attentively served in a classic restored Mill overlooking the Ottauquechee River. The staff motto is "quality without pretense." The dining room is casually elegant with views overlooking the waterfall and covered bridge. Recipient of Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence" since 1993, they offer a series of wine dinners monthly from November through May. They feature handmade glassware and pottery, which you can observe being made in their on-site glass and pottery workshop at The Mill. Enjoy their retail shop before or after you dine. Reservations are not accepted for lunch but are accepted for dinner. The restaurant will do their best to accommodate requests but does not guarantee any specific seating.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

You dont even have to get a table by a window to appreciate the view--the view is pretty much everywhere. The food is always amazing. Fresh, unusual without being over done or complicated. Must do for anyone who wants a memorable meal.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,191)

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I had dinner at Simon Pearce. We were staying in Woodstock and made the nice drive to Quechee. The store is so nice to shop in while you wait for your reservation. We actually did not have a wait. I used Open Table for our reservation and it only gave me the option of 9:00 PM which I was happy to take( for a Saturday) however, we arrived around 8:45PM and there were a lot of empty tables that never filled so my advice would be to phone the restaurant directly for reservations. I had the Strip steak and my husband had the duck we were satisfied but we ordered the chocolate peanut butter whoopie pie. I thought it was the worst dessert I had ever had and I love dessert so it was bad for me not to like it. The waitress did not offer a substitute. I understand dining in a small town is different than dining in a large city but I would give Simon Pearce 3 stars out of 5 for the atmosphere.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had an evening meal here recently with another couple. We found this a superb and beautifully presented restaurant, with great atmosphere (even though we understand the daytime view over the river makes it even better). The adjacent glass studio that is also on the premises adds to the whole experience. The restaurant uses its own glassware and it's probably the best glassware you will ever have put in front of you at a restaurant.

The restaurant has a wide selection of dishes on its menu as well as a good wine list. All of us were happy with our selections and the service was great.

Would definitely return and try a lunch to see the river view next time....

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went to Vermont for a long weekend getaway and to see some foliage (which was OK but not great this year).
Dined at Sjmon Pearce for the first time in over a year, and it was well worth it. Arrived without resercvations early on a Sunday evening and had to wait a bit for a table, which gave us time to shop the glassware (there were plenty of open tables, so we suspect they don't seat anyone immediately in order to tempt them with the retail shopping).
They were hit fairly hard by Hurricane Irene's aftermath a year ago, but appear fully restored, with the same decore and appearance. Our waitress was experienced and knew the menu. We each had an entree sized appetizer item, tuna nicoise and a veal meatball stew. We shared them and agreed both were outstanding.
They have an excellent wine list and we tried a glass of a Napa Chardonnay bottled in Simon Pearce's name which my husband liked but I felt was too woody (I'm not a Chardonnay fan anyway). I had a Savignon Blanc that was excellent.
Great dessert menu, but we were being good about our waistlines, though we were really tempted.
Overall, Simon Pearce hasn't missed a beat in spite of Irene's rude interruption. It is still a wonderful dining experience, as reliable as ever.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had already spent a long, busy day "peeping" and my husband was reluctant.... I wanted to go to the glass studio, so we decided to eat at the restaurant while we were there. It turned out to be a highlight of our three week New England/Canada trip. We had to wait to be seated, thank heaven! My husband watched the glass blower who was up-close and personable, while I soaked up the glass in the gorgeous studio upstairs.

We were seated right over the falls, which were lighted for the evening (it was late, dark). It was the best seat in the house! Our service was perfect, casual but attentive. My husband had the cod, I had the salmon. Both were just superb. My husband was so mellow after this meal that he went back to the studio and bought me a beautiful glass Christmas tree.

Caveat: it was dark and raining when we got to Quechee; the parking and entry to Simon Pearce were a bit ambiguous, so "case" the area in your car to find the entrance.

1  Thank LLSNapa_California