“A bit uneven”

Cuisines: American, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife, mother-in-law and I went to River Stones and were looking forward to how the new restaurant was doing. It was very popular and we had to wait a short time for a table.

The restaurant is very nicely decorated and we thought would be a really nice experience. Well that experience depended upon what you ordered.

My wife and mother-in-law shared an French Onion Soup and a Ceasar Salad. Both were poor and between the two of them, neither was finished. The soup was weak, the ceasar salad dressing had little flavor and the lettuce didn't taste right.

On the other hand my Prime Rib was one of the best that I have had in a long time. However, while I ordered a baked potato, they served me mashed potatoes, which were OK.

What I came to the conclusion was that this is a bar/restaurant. Therefore if you ordered meats you were probably pretty good, but if you ordered items that were not in the theme of the restaurant it probably would suffer.

I would like to go back there again, but I think my wife doesn't. Maybe if she tried something more in line to what a bar/restaurant served she would be more satisfied.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I live not far from River Stones and foolishly keep going back. Two of us had dinner last night. As usual you have to practically trip someone to get them to seat you, a half empty restaurant during peak foliage in VT. Waitress came over and asked if we wanted "a delicious beverage". And she just got weirder. We ordered dinner and I asked for some bread. She said " NORMALLY we don't bring that till you order". I don't normally get reprimanded by the waitress. Chicken parm, if it isn't frozen they should consider using Stouffer's, calzone big hunk of dough with no filling. Strange server finally brought check with a scoop of chocolate ice cream because we didn't look happy. An understatement.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

It was just so great that Riverstones opened in Quechee last June! We totally enjoyed our evening at the newly renovated restaurant. The menu offered a good variety of flatbreads, appetizers and main courses. We were very happy to see that the bar area had been opened up, yet the rustic bar remained in place. We will surely return again next winter.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I stopped for lunch while out antiquing.I will notbe back. The service was fairly good, the atmosphere attractive, the food poor. The hostess seated me promptly, gave me a menu. The server described the specials, never pointed out that the drink specials card on the table had the pizza menu on the other side. My quiche was lukewarm, very bland, and was served with an odd white sauce. The side salad had wilted lettuce and a viniagrette dressing that was almost straight vinager. The iced tea, strong andfreshly brewed, was by far the best part

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Unfortunately, this is not the place it once was. It used to be a cozy, reliable place for good, not too expensive comfort food and popular with locals. True, the wine by the glass was a little pricey back then but now it's just flat-out unaffordable for casual dining.

Across the board, the food is now incredibly expensive. Apart from the sticker shock of the new menu prices, the meal I had was inedible and had to be sent back to the kitchen.

Whoever bought the place seems to think they are in Boston, not Vermont. Quechee has many fine upscale dining options. We need more mid-range options.

2  Thank Swissgrrl