“Old fashioned comfort”

Quechee Inn At Marshland Farm
Ranked #1 of 6 Quechee B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here five nights, mid-August 2012, while I attended the four-afternoon Bread Baking school at King Arthur Flour in Norwich (great fun!). We enjoyed our stay very much and would happily return. Our room, #11, with a sloping wooden floor, was clean and comfortable and had two bathrooms. Also a very old rather noisy wall A/C.
If your grandparents liked their visit here sixty years ago, they would be pleased now; nothing has been changed. The furnishings and the decor are the originals and the upstairs windows have not been washed since. The public area is cluttered with old comfortable furniture.The owners have not spent a dime on upgrades in all those years. This is not a complaint. If you like an old-fashioned environment, this is the place. Relaix & Chateau it ain't!
Most notable was the friendliness of the entire staff, all anxious to please. The restaurant, however, is outstanding. We enjoyed all four nights there, not seeing any reason to try other recommended restaurants in the area until we had completed the menu. The duck was the best I have ever tasted. Preparation is a two-day process: roast the first day and completely debone. Truss up, glaze, and re-roast the second day to serve. Superb! I had it twice! The wine list is very good and is very reasonably priced, although you will not find any first-name California or French wines on the carte.Try the Ex Umbria Syrah, a beautiful bottle.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 23, 2012

This review is really hard to write because this Inn has some very strong points but also a couple of big problems.
The staff is friendly and the location is excellent, we ate at the restaurant and the food was very good and also here with friendly staff.
The problems started when we saw our room: we couldn't believe that the hotel looked so good from outside and the room was so bad.
The room was dusty and the bedsheets weren't clean, I think that cleanness should be the first priority in an hotel and I never found a room in such a bad shape. The bathroom was in line with the rest of the room with problems with water pressure and a not so clean floor.
I'm sure that the hotel has better rooms but it doesn't make me feel better to know that we're assigned a second rate room...

Room Tip: Avoid room 12 at all costs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SitoCH
QInkeeper, General Manager at Quechee Inn At Marshland Farm, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

I appreciate the fact that this guest made note of the strong qualities of the hotel, and that they enjoyed the food and staff of the Inn. I find the comments regarding the cleanliness of the room very distressing. We make every effort to ensure that our rooms are as clean as possible for each and every room in the Inn. The Inn has a dirt driveway and dust is always a problem due to the driveway encircling the building. Our staff inspects every check-in to ensure that the room is clean and dust-free for check-ins. This guest does not indicate whether they brought their dissatisfaction with the room to our staff's attention. I always ask that any guest who has an issue with anything, rooms, service or food please bring it to our immediate attention so that we can resolve the issue in real time while the guest is here. We could have immediately sent staff in to clean and refresh the room or moved this guest to another room. I cannot determine who this guest was and we received no complaints or comment cards regarding an unclean room. The guest does indicate that they stayed in Room 12, but not when they stayed. I personally just inspected this room and found it to be spotless, I am at a loss as to why it owuld have been so dusty for this guests stay, as this room is sold quite often. I have shared this review with our housekeeping staff, a review like this only helps us to improve our commitment to providing the best stay a guest can have. I would encourage this reviewer to contact me personally as I would like to have more specific information to share with the staff. I hope this guest would return and allow us to make sure that every aspect of their next stay, including the room is perfect

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We concur with all the positive comments below. Both our dinner and breakfast were delicious. The B&B was located in beautiful surroundings, very friendly staff, and despite being a national historic site, was very well maintained. It has a lodge feel - the sitting area (see pictures) is inviting with its funishings, piano, and bar. Everything here is top notch, welcoming, and at a very affordable price.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JohnJurik1
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We have a super dinner with wine two for $50 at the Inn during the Quechee Balloon Festival. We had front row seats the for balloons and a great meal! The wine selection could hav ebeen better, but what do you want for such a deal!!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a lovely old inn with beautiful surroundings. Friday night $50 dinner for 2 is great. Soup or salad, choice of 6 or 8 main dishes: crab cakes, steak, salmon, ravioli, chicken, pasta, a glass of wine each (and $5 ea if you want another glass), plus dessert.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I spent a lot of time in Vermont as a kid but not in this area. I chose The Quechee Inn at Marshland Farms because we love B&Bs and it fit our price range. I had no idea just how quaint and charming this Inn was. The food both for breakfast and dinner was amazing. Eggs, French toast and oatmeal were made to order. Our room was very large and comfortable. The bed was great, we slept like logs which is a problem with me when we travel. It was a very refreshing and relaxing stay. The staff was very helpful with a car problem during our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank leela1948
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed at the Inn on the way back to the Midwest from picking up our son at Norwich University. Had a wonderful time and the food is fantastic. We also rented the Kayaks and had a nice trip down the White River. The hospitality is wonderful and it is a very relaxing location and property.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Loggia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quechee
Quality Inn at Quechee Gorge
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express & Suites White River Junction
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Whi...
#3 of 8 in White River Junction
#4 of 7 in Lebanon
Hampton Inn White River Junction
Hampton Inn White River Junction
#1 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Quechee Inn At Marshland Farm? Share your experiences!