“Interesting but Pricey”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Interesting but Pricey”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

It was cool to see them making glass items for the shop. The pieces, even the seconds, were outrageously priced. Nice view of the river from workshop portion of the building.

Visited October 2013

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Be careful of what you pay for”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed visiting Simon Pearce Glass Blowing. They certainly have beautiful and pricey things. I found a wonderful hand carved wooden bowl among a collection of wooden items sold in the shop. When I got home I went to remove the scan tag on the bottom of the bowl and found another hidden tag that said "Made in Kenya". Here I thought I was buying something locally made and instead it wasn't. Very disappointing.

Visited September 2013
Atlanta, GA
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I spent a week in Vermont this month, staying in Stowe. On the recommendation of a Vermont friend, we decided to make the drive to Quechee for a visit to the Simon Pearce Mill. We arrived late morning and decided to have lunch at the restaurant on site. I would recommend getting in line before the 11:30 a.m. opening time for the best tables at the windows. We were seated with a lovely view of the covered bridge and waterfall. The lunch was great. We were greeted immediately by our server and were given the daily specials. I chose the broccoli, mushroom, cheese quiche and it was terrific. My husband chose the hamburger plate and he reported his meal as good also. The strawberry infused lemonade was a nice addition to the meal. We opted to pass on the desserts, but we both thought our choice to have lunch there was a nice highlight to our visit. After lunch, we visited the store. Although expensive, the pieces are beautifully displayed. There is an area to the back of the store where slightly flawed pieces can be purchased at a somewhat reduced price. Both the lunch and the store are very enjoyable, but the high point of the visit is downstairs, where the artisans are busily creating the beautiful glassware. Although they are busily concentrating on their duties, they are very friendly and seem to welcome questions. The weather was rainy on the day of our visit, so we didn't take the opportunity to see the Quechee Gorge. The drive from Stowe to Quechee is an easy trip on mostly interstate roads.

Florida
435 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 772 helpful votes
“Fascinating”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

At first I didn't realize that they actually MADE glass in the basement of the building. I thought this was a retail outlet and restaurant. The glass blowing process turned out to be quite interesting, and even more so when I found out that they generate their own power via the dam on the Ottauquechee River, which flows adjacent to the back of the very old building.

Watching the craftsmen work with extremely hot materials to create exquisite glass art is certainly not boring. They're very friendly and will answer any question about their work.

I later googled the Simon Pearce glass flowing facility and found out that it had been severely damaged August 28, 2011 when Tropical Storm Irene wreaked havoc in New England. The building was flooded with fifty-foot high water in the basement and the mill area, and it took nine months to get everything operational again.

The finished glass products are truly beautiful, although pretty pricey. After seeing all the work that goes into the creation process though, I have to admit they're probably not overpriced.
Bargain hunters can find some very lovely items for 40-60% discounts in the clearance section.
The retail outlet also carries wood art creations by Andrew Pearce (Simon's father), as well as some copperware.

Having just eaten prior to arriving, we didn't dine at the restaurant on site.

Providence, Rhode Island
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Interesting for a brief Visit”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

For the challenged traveler:

Easy access for all. A lift that will fit a wheelchair to the lower level and good ramps inside. The bathroom is a bit tricky, but negotiable.

For all travelers:

A very cool typical New Hampshire small town. The place has a very interesting assortment of glass pieces made on site. It is very pricey, but I am not an expert on glass. The restaurant is very pricey, but has great views of a beautiful waterfall and the food is interesting and tasty. I wouldn't bring kids there due to the price and selection.
The highlight is clearly the lower level where you can see the glad pieces being made. The artisans are friendly and are constantly inviting questions. I could have stayed there for an hour just watching them do ghri magic.