“I'm surprised at the great reviews”
Review of Good Commons

Good Commons
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Plymouth
Good Commons
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I'm surprised at the great reviews”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have to say I'm surprised at the raves for this property...when we arrived at Good Commons we discovered dirty floors, torn screens in the windows/doors, a full compost bin in the kitchen, cake icing in the first aid kit (which we actually needed!), a dirty deck/tables, and a whole lot more. The pictures on the website were a bit misleading.

The experience might be different/better for a hosted event, but I would not rent this again for a group get-together.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank ejc518

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I really can’t recommend this place enough for anyone in search of a quiet, relaxing East Coast getaway. I visited Good Commons for their Labor Day Food, Wine, and Rejuvenation Retreat which lucky for me, also fell on my birthday. I was in the market for an affordable weekender that didn’t require a ton of planning, but had all the makings for a memorable, pampered adventure. After checking out the Good Commons website upon the recommendation of a good friend, I was confident I’d found exactly what I was looking for. The fact that all I had to do was show up at a convenient Midtown Manhattan location and “get on the bus” was a major selling point. The retreat package was all-inclusive: food, lodging, activities, AND roundtrip transportation from New York City. Can’t beat that!

Guests hop aboard the Good Bus, a veggie oil powered jitney, stocked with homemade munchies and various wines chosen by the weekend’s sommelier, for what amounts to a mobile wine tasting drive from the Big Apple to the Green Mountains. A mere 5 hours later, we were greeted by one of the most amazingly warm and generous women I’ve ever met in my entire life, GC's owner and hostess, Tesha Buss. She lights up a room on impact and immediately makes you feel like her casa es su casa. A champagne toast kicked things off, followed by a light dinner and 'welcome circle', where we all introduced ourselves and set our intentions for the days ahead.

They have plenty of activities on tap throughout the weekend: hiking; cheese making, glassblowing, & brewery tours; music festivals; picnicing & paddleboating at the nearby lake; yoga classes; and so much more. But one of the things I like best about Good Commons is, you can choose to partake in everything under the sun or absolutely nothing at all. The vibe is so relaxed, you’re under no pressure to do anything other than what your heart prompts. You can curl up with a good book in the hammock or soak in the jacuzzi all day. I nestled into a bench on the hill with my journal, writing and listening to music, and later went for a solo nature walk.

They also had a masseuse on-call for the weekend, so I scheduled a private massage in the healing arts loft. Soooo nice. Wi-fi is available if you just can’t tear yourself away from your laptop. I frankly liked the fact that cell service is quite limited in the area, and took the opportunity to just completely unplug. There is a house phone for guests if you need it.

If you’re feeling more active and social, jump aboard the Good Bus and they’ll whisk you off to the day’s scheduled outings along with the other fabulous guests, many of which have since become good friends who I regularly keep in touch with.

The best part is, of course, the FOOD and for their F, W, & R getaways in particular, Good Commons pulls out all the stops. Breakfasts were a mouth-watering buffet of handmade pastry treats, baked egg dishes, local artisanal bacon or sausage, with bottomless pitchers of fresh juices and coffee, served at the long family-style table. Dinners were substantial four-course meals with wine pairings, on both Saturday and Sunday night. Yes, TWO nights of multi-course gourmet dining! The first night's feast was orchestrated by GC's resident chef, Matthew Wexler, and the second night was prepared by a visiting chef, April Stamm (who I later found out are both culinary school grads who trained under by Bobby Flay at Mesa Grill). They each planned really unique menus and used the best of Vermont’s seasonal, local ingredients. It was “farm to table” in the truest sense of the term. Though I was completely stuffed, I didn't want a bite to go to waste!

After the last course, we made our way out to the back deck, nightcaps in hand. Smores were roasted around in the fire pit and hilarious storytelling ensued, until the evening slowly wound down into quiet fireside conversations and killer stargazing. Around 2 am, I tip-toed through the maze of a house, and slipped peacefully off to sleep, feeling more like I was visiting a good friend's house for the weekend, rather than a b&b/retreat.

It was so easy to get in the relaxing groove and all the chaos of NYC quickly felt a million miles away. Yep, choosing this place as a vacation destination is a no-brainer. I felt very comfortable visiting as a single woman, without knowing anyone in advance. It was quite an eclectic group - couples, singles, 20-somethings to 60-somethings, artists and business-types alike. A good mix. I highly recommend this little Vermont gem!

Room Tip: Check their website/FB because they often offer discount promos. Try to get the private room with st...
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank eyeforstyle
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have been to Good Commons two times now. Both stays were perfection. Tesha and Matthew make you feel at home. The location is picturesque, the food is outstanding and the vibe is always light and welcoming.

• Stayed July 2011
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I officiated a 50 person wedding at GOOD COMMONS last year and it was, without a doubt, one of the best weekends of my life. Later in the year I was invited back to help teach at a renewal retreat weekend. This little jewel of a retreat is incredible whether to spend with family or friends, or even to fly solo at one of their meticulously planned and super fun retreat weekend. Tesha is the hostess with the mostess: you will never feel more taken care of. Matt's food will please even the most finicky of New York foodies: simply remarkable. Former artists from New York, they create a vibrant energy in which to relax and enjoy yourself. I can't imagine anyone not loving their time here. This area of vermont is incredibly special and they help to make it even more so. "Quality time" is redefined here-- a week or weekend at good commons, whether to imbibe in a lavish food and wine retreat or unwind with yoga, is time extraordinarily well spent.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret N
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed January 29, 2011

To say that Good Commons is a hotel, is a misnomer. An amazing vacation home? Closer. A cozy bed and breakfast? Maybe. I guess what makes Good Commons so good is that it can be whatever you want it to be.

My husband and I joined the Winter Expedition retreat featuring amazing food, spectacular wines, and incredible people. We spent our days skiing on two incredible mountains and our nights meeting new and interesting people and partaking in homecooked specialities courtesy of Chef Matthew. Since this was a retreat, all the planning was taken care of. Of course, you can create your own retreat by calling and arranging your own customized getaway or just book a retreat that has already been created for you. I think they have a few yoga retreats and recharge weekends scheduled all season long.

We were welcomed to our weekend with a family style meal of beef bourginon shepherd's pie. We even had a gluten free version for our gluten free guests. Dinner was superb and included the chance to get to know our fellow travelers while breaking bread. The next night we had a generous wine tasting menu with courses to match. It was like eating and drinking at a 5 star restaurant. We even found some new wines to enjoy!

We stayed in Bedroom 3 which has it's own shared bathroom with Bedroom 4. And what a bathroom! A steam shower to relax your muscles after a long day sliding down Okemo or Killington Mountain resorts. The beds are super comfortable. The down comforters and soft sheets made us forget how cold it was outside.

The second floor living room is a great place to relax, read a book, take a nap or catch up with your fellow traveler's tales of the day. Good Commons even has a whole house sound system where you can plug in your iPod or phone. Each common area can select a source including your iPod or a friends. It was awesome to experience my vacation with my own little relaxing sound track.

Even better? Rosalie and Marcus at the ready to give you a fantastic massage at the end of a long day on the slopes. We even had a nightly yoga class to limber up those tight muscles. And I can't forget the hot tub which even in the snow is an awesome way to relax. I can't think of a better way to recharge than great food and wine, yoga and massage, can you?

Our retreat had shuttle service to the mountain at scheduled times on the Good Bus driven by the adorable Good Commons owner Tesha. Her enthusiasm and love for this place shines through. The house is a labor of love and her commitment to positive energy and an enjoayble time for all is apparent. I dare you to stay a weekend (or week) at Good Commons and come away feeling anything but....inherently, organically and authentically GOOD.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Just spent a long weekend under the care of lovely Tesha, skiing Okemo and Killington. WIth the comfortable ride on the Good Bus, which incl. pick-up in cantorial Manhattan, snacks and wine tasting; charming and equally comfortable rooms in a lovingly restored house; hot tubbing after the days on the slope to which we were ferried, again on the Good Bus; restorative yoga led by Marcus; dinners expertly prepared by Chef Matthew with wine pairing provided by sommelier Kristen and the company of many amazing people, I really had the best time!!

Being Gluten Intolerant, I particularly appreciate the care taken to accommodate my dietary needs. Knowing that I can trust what is prepared is not cross-contaminated, and also know that it's equally delicious, is by no means something I find everywhere!

Knowing that Tesha caters for virtually anything, I can really recommend this lovely spot to anyone that wants to organize a special event or a group/family gathering.

This is the second time I've been and I'm sure I'll find a good reason to return!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I stayed here with friends for my husband's 50th birthday party last March. The owner couldn't be more helpful answering all my questions and going the extra mile for me. Tesha is the best. We spent a day skiing at Okemo and one day snowmobiling. One of the nights we hired one of her chefs to cook us all a meal and it was top knotch. Everyone was very very pleased with the accomodations and the loft room was alot of fun for the few kids that was there. They had there own section of the house. I think of this trip often. Great memories with great friends in a great house.

Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plymouth
Sleep Woodstock Motel
#1 of 2 in Plymouth
Deer Brook Inn
Deer Brook Inn
#3 of 16 in Woodstock

Been to Good Commons? Share your experiences!