“Great price but rooms are sparse. Delicious breakfast!”
Review of Swiss Farm Inn

and 1 more site!
Swiss Farm Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Pittsfield B&B and Inns
Woburn, MA
“Great price but rooms are sparse. Delicious breakfast!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We just stayed at the Swiss Farm Inn B&B while in Pittsfield for a friend's wedding. I have stayed in bed & breakfast accommodations before, and this one would be considered to be a value B&B. The room rate is why we chose the Swiss Farm, it being the least expensive option out of others in the area. The wedding was at Riverbend, and was only a short drive down the road. If you are staying in the area for a wedding at Riverbend, the convenience factor is high.

The staff was friendly and helpful in all of our interactions. The rooms were very clean; while I love traveling, staying in a strange bed and bathroom tend to freak me out, so when I say they were clean and I was comfortable, that should stand for something! We saw other rooms in the Inn, every room was a little different. Ours had only a very small stand up shower, others had a full tub (I think that may have depended on how many beds were in the room). Amenities and conveniences are sparse. Luckily the weekend was cool, because it looks like there's no AC and based on other reviews it appears as though its not an option. No fan in the room either although another room we saw had a ceiling fan. Our room had windows facing the road, and we could hear traffic although it was not frequent. Also, there were only sheerish half curtains on the windows so we got sun in the room once it was high enough, which made sleeping past 7am difficult. We had a small closet that badly needed new shelf paper, it was all peeling off. Also, the closet rod was too low, so our clothes touched the ground. We had no other hooks to hang anything on. Very frustrating when you have a formal event to attend and need your garments looking fresh. Looks like other rooms had luggage racks and proper hanging rods, so maybe this room was a miss? Bed was comfortable. No TV, no radio, and the wifi connection was not excellent, so it made being in touch with other wedding guests a little frustrating as we had almost no cell service all weekend.

Bathroom was a tight squeeze with a slanted ceiling, fixtures are old and could really use some updating. The hot water was not consistent.... randomly went from scalding to freezing at least 3-4 times during the 1 shower I took. As another reviewer commented, you had few to no options to put things down in the bathroom, which again was very frustrating as we were preparing for a formal event. Also there was no full length mirror.... would be good to have on the door.

The weirdest thing about our stay was that our room had a door that led to an adjoining room. The door was unlocked and when we opened the door, it led right into the bedroom of the inn owner's teenage son. We had no means of locking the door ourselves. It made us uncomfortable and I really don't see why it should not just be closed up. Also, there was an outlet shaped hole in our room, (mostly) covered by a metal plate but at one point during the day we heard a strange hissing coming from the part that wasn't covered by the metal plate. What was that????

Breakfast was very good and portions were plentiful. We were there for a Sunday morning and luckily ate before the rush because it got PACKED in there. We had to do an old school checkout and turn in the key and hand over a credit card to pay. I can't remember the last time I had to do that! Not complaining, just thought it was amusing.

Overall, it suited our needs and the price was right, but only in comparison to other options in the area. I don't ever see us returning to Pittsfield unless its for another wedding, but with that said I'm not so sure we'd stay there again. Our friends paid $30-$40/night more at Trailside Inn but got the conveniences/amenities we were missing. I didn't realize how much I valued them until they weren't provided. The delicious breakfast included made up for some inconveniences. I understand that this is family owned and operated, they live on site, employ a limited staff and I'm sure have limited resources. You have to respect that they essentially work 24/7, and the staff was great. However, I think they need to take some time/money and invest in a few upgrades/updates/maintenance that make traveling a little less weary for us high maintenance gals ;-). Oh, and get that adjoining door situation addressed!

Room Tip: If you need a full tub shower because of children or other issues I would make sure you mention it...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank litchic521

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ronkonkoma
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Not sure what it is, but this place always delivers great memories. The fact that you never spend any money on breakfast except for the tip just adds to a great value . Nice people, great little community, definitely recommended.

Robert

Room Tip: Ask about specific beds in your room. Limited so not a lot of options
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed April 11, 2013

When we walk in to the Swiss Farm Inn, whether it has been a year or more since our last visit, it is like coming home. Our entire family of 19, ranging in age from 13 to the 80s, look forward to waking up to the smell of bacon sizzling. After the World's Best Breakfast and a day of skiing at Killington, we return to sit by the fire with a bottle of BYOB and thaw out while a full 4 course meal is beign prepared. We are never disappointed with the food nor the company from Roger and Joyce. The rooms are cozy, clean and comfortable. After 10 years, still love coming home to the Swiss Farm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Tunbridge, Vermont, United States
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We found this place as we were at tweed music fest nearby in august . The food and portions are great , the family seating warm and welcomming . Its a long drive from tunbridge as is any were ! , We look forward every visit and are never dissapointed . All is cooked to order in a small open to view clean kitchen , no bigger than a standard home kitchen . The prices out of the 70's very affordable , and i eat out ALOT ! All around country I see chain style restraunts , cookie cutter all the same , not this one , these are hard to find . I have eaten here several times since I first found it , reminds me of the great memories made at the defunct Foxx Stand , and Peavine .I have not stayed in sleeping quarters But highly reccomend eatery . We went to get eggs one morning , ended up opting to ride mc to pittsfield to eat at swiss farm , were happy and full , decided to continue on to Warrensburg NY we were not hungry till later that day just before returning home and were still a bit full . The service , exceptional !

Room Tip: bring your appettite , reccomend homemade hash
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stay here with family Christmas week. It is such a good value- it includes the World's Best Breakfast and a delicious dinner. Close to Killington and Pico, it is quaint and cozy. Roger and Joyce are awesome hosts. I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Milton, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed March 24, 2012

When I entered & found my name & room number tacked to the front counter, I thought, "how quaint!" The rooms are basically like dorm rooms. It had a tiny bathroom, stand up shower, no extra luggage space and well worn beds. The owners and staff were very friendly, and it was as though they opened their home to their guests. Service was impeccable. I didn't expect "housekeeping" service, but we came back to find the beds made & room tidied. Dinner was just ok, but breakfast was delicious. For the price, it was definitely sufficient for a place to crash for a night or two; it was not a picturesque, luxurious B&B experience.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank KScottboston
Oakdale
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I'm not a skier and I don't like the cold but I will be the first one packed when we head to the Swiss Farm Inn in Vermont again. Cozy rooms, crackling fire in the dining room, plenty of books and board games on hand and charming conversations with the owners (and their children) made my stay an absolute delight. "Home of the World's Best Breakfast" the huge sign in front of the Inn boasts...and they did not disappoint! Stuffed French Toast, Homemade Hash and Outrageous Omelettes, just to name a few. I've never written an online review before but this place is special - it captures the heart of Vermont and it's people. Thank you Swiss Farm Inn!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Roseann M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pittsfield
Mountain Sports Inn
Killington-Pico Motor Inn
Greenbrier Inn
Greenbrier Inn
#6 of 14 in Killington

Been to Swiss Farm Inn? Share your experiences!