“Restaurant Verterra at the Inn at Weathersfield”

Inn at Weathersfield
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Norwich, Vermont
“Restaurant Verterra at the Inn at Weathersfield”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I ate here with friends earlier this month and enjoyed the company and the meal, especially the lobster and cucumber appetizer. My main course was one of the specials of the day and it consisted of sauteed veal with polenta. The polenta was flavorsome, but I had expected the veal to be thin slivers of veal (rather like a piccata). Instead, it was a huge, generous chunk of meat, a little too much for my appetite. I washed the entree down with a glass of excellent Pinot Noir.

Unfortunately, I was too full for a dessert, but ordered just coffee. In future, I think I will stick to the grazing menu!

• Visited August 2012

Hartford, Connecticut
“Terrible Waitress”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was here this spring and the service was terrible. Our waitress had a comment for every dish ordered. "Ohhhh, good choice", "that one's really good", "earlier tonight I tried that one...", etc. She had something for every single order. Everything was either "great", "excellent", or "very good". Sometimes she had a story about her childhood. She was obnoxious enough that I couldn't enjoy my food.

Aside from the service, the food was pretty good and was definitely fresh, but completely forgettable. The setting is very nice. In my opinion there are inns with much better food in Vermont (Victorian Inn at Wallingford for example).

I won't be going back until I can be pretty sure that waitress is gone (5+ years)

• Visited April 2012
Weathersfieldinn, Owner at Inn at Weathersfield, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
This review was written before we took ownership in Oct. 2012. We know which server this reviewer is referring to and we can assure you she is no longer working here.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lacking Quality Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

The food was well-prepared. The dinning area is pleasant. However, with the per person charge of $50 (minus the drink), the service better be impeccable. It wasn't. In fact, we get much better service at establishments charging a third of what they charge. We re-ordered a round of drink, it didn't arrive for 25 minutes but that time we were finished with dinner. The server didn't even stop by to apologize. We won't go bad.

• Visited July 2012
We bought the inn Oct. 2012. We are sorry that you had such a bad experience before we became owners/managers. We take pride in not only our cuisine, but our service. Every night, we are also on the floor checking in with guests, greeting them, watching to make sure that the servers are servicing each table in a professional manner. We invite to return and let us know what you think of the restaurant now.
Ludlow, Vermont
“No comparison”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is the type of Inn restaurant which all others should be judged by. Not the cheapest, but always worth it.

Visited March 2012
Brownsville, Vermont
“Wonderful, different, and creative.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I went to the Inn at Weathersfield last week for dinner. The Inn is a very picturesque spot and the atmosphere is friendly and relatively quiet. It is decorated very nicely, there are fresh-cut flowers and fires burning in the fireplaces, giving the Inn a very welcoming feeling. We had our choice of the dining room or the tavern, and we chose the tavern since we were told that we'd have more menu options there.

We ordered a salad for appetizer and a draught beer from the bar. They have a very nice, although small, selection of local craft beer on tap and several more in bottles. The salad was absolutely fantastic. Everything was fresh and the flavors complimented each other perfectly.

We ordered our meals, and they came quick and hot. Again, the flavors in the meals were outstanding, and perfectly complimented each other. I ordered the baked pasta bolognese and my wife ordered the pork plate, which was a braised pork over some sort of bread and topped with a mild ginger sauce and a thinly shredded slaw. Both of these dishes were incredible; they each featured flavors that were subtle and rarely encountered.

The service was great, everyone was friendly and attentive. When we asked about the rooms for rent at the Inn, we got a nice tour of the open rooms from one of the servers. The price of dinner was reasonable. Two dinners, one large salad appetizer, two glasses of beer, and coffee: $60.

I can't wait to return to try their other offerings from their award-winning chef. I trust that the Inn at Weathersfield will become a regular spot for my wife and I, plus our friends and guests.

• Visited February 2012