The Inn at Weathersfield
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Springfield(Springfield)
View Hotel
All reviewsfire pitfarm to tablewine cellarenjoyed drinksnew englandlove foodchef michaelcooking schoolapple pancakesthanksgiving dinnerrural vermontperfect combinationlincoln roomfront porchworth the tripthe entire staffgreat weekend
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We may be out of the TA-mainstream in judging this place on its food, but perhaps the bulk of its mostly food oriented "raves," including Zagat's, are a bit dated, tie to the cooking of a recently departed chef. We found the food to be in the good to very good range. Don't get this wrong: the Chef certainly knows what he's doing and will likely get even better with time, and the menu is not overpriced for what you get, but in no way is this currently a "5 Star" foodie trip must (we had 2 dinners, 1 alacarte and 1 tasting). A very pretty and well kept and friendly place in all, with smallish, very nice rooms. Breakfasts were fun, but with quite limited choice. We suggest that If you come for to visit primarily for the food, you may be best off lowering your expectations a tad compared with what you've read.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abobharris
Weathersfieldinn, Owner at The Inn at Weathersfield, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We remember your visit well as it was the opening weekend in April after our Mud Season shutdown. I enjoyed getting to know you and recall your unsolicited feedback was the dining experience was exceptional, not just "very good." During our former chef's eight year career at the inn, he received his share of glowing reviews, especially back in 2008.

Our new chef, Jean-Luc Matecat, is 32-years old and as a native Vermonter and son of a Parisian chef, he brings a global experience and an honest approach to his food. We share his culinary philosophy that a dish doesn't have to appear complicated to be exceptional, especially when it's cooked from scratch and sourced from our farms. Please email us as our chef would appreciate any suggestions that would have made your experience outstanding.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

It's nice to be surprised!

What a great find...wonderful food. Absolutely creatively prepared with quality ingredients.
We had people in our group that had food 'issues' and the staff had them smiling withing minutes of arriving!

Good wine list, and a very interesting Chef's Tasting menu.

Not cheap, but sometimes you pay for what you get...This was one of them!

Wonderfully romantic, too!

Room Tip: Only stayed for dinner, so we don't know.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is truly a special place. The Inn has all the character and charm of the Colonial time period in which it was built, but still all the comforts of today. Having dinner there is a must. You can chose between a laid back dinner or a 5 star dinning experience. The included breakfast was also spectacular. The proximity to Okemo or Mt. Sunapee makes it a great escape for a ski weekend. You will not go wrong staying here and the owners will make you feel very welcome just like old friends visiting...

Room Tip: The rooms at front of the inn maybe a little quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Read the other reviews and you'll come to see why people travel to the Inn at Weathersfield from all over. It's the food, it's the ambience, it's the sense of relaxation. You have to poke a bit down some Vermont roads to get there (admit it, you've never heard of "Perkinsville"), but the 200-year-old building at the end of the lane justifies the work.

For many years there was an extraordinary chef at the inn. He left back in the fall of 2013, they've got a new fellow overseeing the kitchen and, almost always, he keeps the rep going. [The wall next to the office is plastered with rave reviews from travel and food/wine magazines all over, so thats quite a rep to live up to.]

OK, the food. Yes, it was great. Breakfasts of these amazing combos of pancakes and sausages and yoghurt and pastrami (!) and eggs and…just top-notch. Dinner (they don't serve lunch) was similarly impressive. We ate one night in the Tavern, one night in the more formal space (really, they're the same space, just reconfigured or imagined), and enjoyed both meals. Great wine list, imaginative cuisine, very good service. BUT…on two separate nights, my wife's entrees were not uniformly warm/heated, i.e. a little hot here, a little tepid there. Hm. And one night, they just apparently forgot about our table - the waitress came out all flustered, apologizing. That "Chef's Tasting Menu," where everyone in the place gets pretty much the same thing, took two hours. Now, I love to sit, and I love to imagine what the next course will be, but two hours was r-e-a-l-l-y long to get through a meal. Small things, and I expect they'll be ironed out.

The inn itself? Fabulous. We stayed in the Taftsville Room, upstairs in the front (old) part, with windows on three sides, a gas fireplace, comfy chairs, a deep king bed, a cool shower…boy, it was hard to leave, when our stay was up. The owners, Merilee and Richard, are extremely friendly and accommodating -- they're clearly enjoying the experience as much as you are.

We were there in the dead of winter and they kept telling us how beautiful it is in summer (the flower beds, the lingering evenings on the terrace), but it was pretty wonderful in mid-January, too. They have snowshoes you can grab and go out onto the property with.

"New England's Premier Culinary Inn," the website says. Well, I don't know about THAT: New England is kind of big. Let's just say that it's a lock that you will not be disappointed. Most likely, you'll be planning your next trip back as you drive away down the lane….

Room Tip: Choose one of the rooms up front in the "old" part of the inn. Worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2013

From the moment I passed through the quaint little entrance way I immediately felt my cares wash away. Marilee and Richard have running a B&B down to perfection. They have a perfect blend of personal & professionalism. After reading a few reviews, I was concerned about the food as read the chef had left,,that quickly dissipated with my first bite of their divine food. This trip was booked as a culinary destination for us, as we work in a similar industry and were researching the farm to table movement. Although I have no record of comparison to the prior chef, I can speak to the incredible talent of their current chef. I appreciated that the food was not only incredibly fresh, but super creative too. After speaking with the owners and the chef himself about the direction they are taking the food, I have no doubt about the amazing things to come from the Inn. I loved how the main part of the Inn maintained it's original architectural integrity while the private rooms had many of modern luxuries that made it feel like a spa vacation. I even booked a massage (which I highly recommend) in my private room. If I had any complaint about the room, it would be the noise level. We booked the upper falls which is right above the dining room, so you could hear late night guests and early morning set up. I'm sure this is easily resolved with some earplugs if you are a light sleeper. Otherwise the room had everything! Bed was comfortable with high quality linens, heat worked great, new windows and great spa shower. It was spacious and immaculate. (and believe me,,I am a clean freak..I looked!!) The only other thing to note is seclusion. Be prepared to drive to things. Everything is about 20 minutes away. Marilee is wonderful about printing out directions, and things to do in the area. But I can't stress enough that the food justifies everything!!! We will no doubt return to peek in on their new creations! And with any luck you will meet their dog George, who my Husband fell head over heels in love with :)

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business