“A must see when in Norwich” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of King Arthur Flour: The Baker's Store and Baking Education Center

King Arthur Flour: The Baker's Store and Baking Education Center
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Norwich
More attraction details
Owner description: King Arthur Flour's Baker's Store & Café is packed with everything you need for your very best baking, from hard-to-find ingredients, innovative gadgets, and top-quality pans, to easy mixes and a huge selection of baking basics. Grab a pastry or lunch from our café; relax and check your email with our free WiFi; and connect with our expert staff about all your baking questions.Our store is open and ready for your visit!
Norwich, Vermont
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A must see when in Norwich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Before moving to Norwich, VT I had never heard of King Arthur Flour. I soon learned this is the Mecca for bakers alike, so I went to see for myself. Their store is wonderful. If you are a baker, this is the ultimate. And if you are not (like me), there are plenty of neat mixes, gadgets, books and samples to have you just as intrigued. Their cafe is a great place to grab a quick meal, a great treat and to bring a few loaves of bread home.

King Arthur made my wedding cake for me - outstanding! Not only was it a hit for our guests and family, but they went above and beyond to accommodate me when I was having a communication breakdown between my caterer, myself and King Arthur. I spoke with the baker direct & was assured that no matter what, I would get what I wanted, and as agreed upon.

Everyone should visit King Arthur. :)

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Neen813

Wallingford, Vermont
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Cancellation Policy King Arthur”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have taken multiple King Arthur Bakers classes over the years. I have observed both positive and negatives throughout these classes. I have enjoyed all the classes and gained a plethora of baking knowledge although I have consistently seen a lack of equipment, product, and a lack of sanitation in the Education Center. One of my instructors was mortified when we discovered hair wrapped around the paddle of my mixer. I was given a new mixer and attachments, but I had to start over with my batter. Several classmates noted this lack of cleanliness on our class evaluation forms.

I was shocked when I experienced KA cancellation policy due to an unexpected death in the family this past June. The lack of empathy was notable. I found myself in the position of having to cancel several commitments with the death of my brother. Every company except King Arthur was respectful, accommodating and sympathetic to my situation, offering either a full refund or a full credit vouchers to retake the class at another time. I was denied this option by KA and told a full refund was not possible. Over 25% of the class fee was charged as a penalty of canceling.

After expressing my amazement at this policy, a friend advocated for me, while I was attending my brother’s funeral. The director did rethink the excessive penalty fee and offered me a portion of that penalty fee in the form of a store gift card.

I was registered for a July class at KA. I attended the class and noted that the sanitation issues were not addressed, even the guest chef commented on a “dirty” workbench. The lack of equipment continued with all 6 classmates sharing one scale and the guest chef being denied a muffin tin as KA assistant instructor stated “there were no muffin tins available for use”. I observed a fellow classmate being asked to leave the class due to her dairy allergy. Another classmate with a dairy allergy was accommodated without incidence. This was amazing as KA has a delightful array of gluten and dairy free product and recipes for this growing marketing need.

As a Vermonter, a Vermont business owner and a Vermont consumer I am appalled at the callousness of the KA Educational Baking community. I find KA policy disrespectful and distasteful.

I hope that King Arthur Baking Education Center will reflect on their policies and align themselves with other Vermont businesses that respect their relationship with their loyal consumer base.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank Mj H
KingArthurFlour, Customer Service Specialist at King Arthur Flour: The Baker's Store and Baking Education Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We would be happy to talk with you personally about your concerns. Please call us at 1-800-827-6836.
Bridgeport, Connecticut
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“A Unique Stop, Baked Goods and Everything for Baking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Yes, you can do a lot with flour. And baking.

You can have a cafe with wi-fi and coffee and baked goods. You can have a full-service store devoted to baking. And you can have it all in an attractive package that's been on the must-stop list for veteran Vermont visitors for years.

King Arthur Flour is baked and ready to serve you. Make the stop.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Douglass D
Springfield, Massachusetts
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Store visit not what it use to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have been visiting the King Arthur Store for years. My wife loves to cook and looked forward to restocking her supplies of KA at least three to four times a year not to mention a few baked goodies to take home with us. I am honestly disappointed in the renovation of the store. The old retail store which is now the food court is not well suited from a noise standpoint. The place sounds like a beehive with everyone talking. The product quality is as good as ever but finding what you need or want is a pain with the store layout. I can't speak to the cooking school but my wife looks forward to signing up to find out. The store looks good on the outside but it is not user friendly. It would appear that the major emphasis of the renovation was to provide a place to eat which was apparent with the number of people purchasing food. We will visit again but have made it a point to go early in the morning to avoid the lunch crowd.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Neal J
Annapolis, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My mother has been an avid KAF user for as long as I can remember. So we took a girls weekend trip and took two baking classes. The property, baking classrooms, food, and staff are outstanding. All of which makes up for the difficulty I had getting us into classes. If you love to bake, these classes are great. They are well paced, appropriate for any skill level. I've taken cooking classes before where it's all demo, but KAF's teaching system is great. Just the right amount of demo with guided hands-on learning. I will most definitely be going back!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Stephanie S

Travelers who viewed King Arthur Flour: The Baker's Store and Baking Education Center also viewed

Been to King Arthur Flour: The Baker's Store and Baking Education Center? Share your experiences!