“Pricey, but a nice attraction with lots of hands on fun for the kids.”

Montshire Museum of Science
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Norwich
More attraction details
Owner description: The Montshire is an award-winning hands-on science museum. You'll experience over 140 exciting exhibits relating to the natural and physical sciences, ecology, and technology. As a 110-acre museum on the Connecticut River, there's always plenty to explore, both indoors and out! Open daily 10-5. Summer Admission (May 17-September 7) $16 for adults, $13 for children 2-17. Regular Admission: $14 for adults, $11 for children 2-17 Two day passes available. Free for members and children under 2 years of age. Water exhibits in outdoor Science Park are on mid-May through early October.
Reviewed October 28, 2017

If the price was half of what it is, that would have made this a 5-star review. The admission cost is $14 per child (even for 4 year olds) and $16 per adult. So for a family of 5 it is quite an investment. If you live nearby and come here a lot, you are probably better off with an annual membership.
The location is really convenient - it is right off I-91 and a mile or two from Hanover NH which is the home of Dartmouth Univ and has a great little main street with places to eat and shop (we stopped at a diner on main street for lunch before heading to the museum).
The museum has an indoor section that is great - lots of cool science stuff for kids of all ages - much of it with a "hands on" element. The outdoor part is more geared to smaller kids and frankly didn't seem well maintained - a number of the water features werent working great when we visited. Also, there isn't much shade if you go on a sunny day.
There are also some very mild hiking trails around the property - we didn't partake in those. There are vending machines on the property, but otherwise no cafe or food options.

All reviews
"ant farm"
"great visit"
"well worth the trip"

Reviewed October 13, 2017

This was a special family adventure with three generations and ages from 5 to 72.
Our 5-year old granddaughter was almost overwhelmed with the seemingly never ending items for her to do "hands on". The "mystery" games, ant farm, etc., etc. are all done extremely well.

And that was just inside the facility. Despite the rain / drizzle, we did enjoy some of the exterior items with the pendulum and piano being big attractions.

The older (70s) members of the family seemed to enjoy the exhibits / challenges as much as the younger.

Our only negative observation is that there may not be too much for kids over 10 or 12.

1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

Went with my older children, but a friend with younger children along with us. Though most of us were older, there really was a little something for all of us. I had as much fun with the bubble exhibit as my 17 yo and the 10 and 11 yo kiddos. Small exhibit on the human anatomy was informative, the microscope to look at common items etc, and the grounds are real nice. I'm sure it's even better on a warm sunny day to appreciate all the outdoor offerings.

Reviewed October 8, 2017

I enjoy the Montshire as much or more than my children. Only down side to our visit was that it was a rainy weekend and lots of other people had the same idea.

I highly recommend finding time for the hands on science "labs" if your children are old enough and at all interested. We dissected lichen using a microscope. I personally thought it was a great experience. It was one of my children's first experiences with a microscope and it was a little frustrating for them to know what they were looking for. We also participated in a rock experiment.

My kids loved the big bubbles, leaf cutter ants, bees, and the hands on puzzles.

It was too rainy to explore out doors but I know from a previous trip that the outside activities are good too.

Plan to stop in.