“Nice Surprise!”

Add it.
Allechante
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Me and my husband were visiting Norwich and decided to find something within walking distance of the Norwich Inn to get a light lunch so we found Allechante. As soon as we walked in I knew I would like it there. It was warm and welcoming and there is a beautiful display of different pastries, scones etc that they serve. They also have sandwiches, salads, and wonderful Vermont cheeses as well as soups, pasta's and sauces to go. My husband got a Roast Beef Sandwich on Ciabetta bread and I got a salad with pecans, cranberries and balsamic dressing as well as a portion of their delicious cous cous salad. While we were waiting for our sandwich and salad to be made we ordered a hot cocoa for my husband I got a cappuccino. Both were made perfectly and the service was wonderful! We also bought a few things from the pastry case. We got a chocolate chip cookie, a ginger molasses cookie and a brownie with chocolate chips. The only reason I am not giving it a better rating is that the cookies were a bit hard and I like soft chewy cookies and my husband said the brownie wasn't chocolaty enough for him even with the addition of the extra chocolate chips. This would be a must visit again when we are in the wonderful town of Norwich.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

very good, and different prepared food to take home, or eat at one of their few tables. Some delicious desserts but there used to be so much more, and the great bread is gone. Still a fun place looking out at the grassy sort of courtyard.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Loved this place, when it was Alice's, as, in addition to wonderful baguettes baked in her French oven, there were always excellent cheeses. At Christmas time, she would order whole wheels of Stilton cheese, and they were absolutely marvellous.

Nowadays, I tend to limit my purchases to the meringues, currant buns (when they have them), sausage rolls, local Vermont goat cheeses, and soups. I prefer the nearby King Arthur Flour on Route 5 in Norwich, VT, for their whole grain breads and hazelnut brioche. But, it has been some time since I have had lunch at Allechante. However, for take-out service, there are some excellent chicken pot pies and shepherd's pies (English-style), when you do not feel like cooking.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Their pastries are delicious! But both times that I stopped in for lunch they put my lunch item in the oven and said they would bring it to me. Well I think they just forgot about it and me and by the time they remembered they brought over an overcooked dish. So avoid heated items.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Allechante, aka Alice's, used to be the top 'go to' take-out/deli/caterer in the Upper Valley region. Everything used to be fresh, mouthwatering and delicious. Now it is horrible. And I've gone back a few times in the past few months hoping that maybe they were just off the last time. No more!!! One factor in the equation is that their baker quit, so no fresh breads are being made for use in their sandwiches or meals. They used to have a divine purple cabbage coleslaw used on a variety of their sandwiches, now it is a bitter vinegar mess. What a loss for the region. The owner has opened up a restaurant in Hanover, too bad she let Allechante wither into inedible from incredible.

3  Thank gingergirl007