“Expensive but worth it”
Review of North Hero House

North Hero House
Reserve with OpenTable
North Hero House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in North Hero
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Recommended by a friend with local ties, this was our 18th anniversary dinner. We were not disappointed. The food and service was top-notch. In September, on a Monday, we did not make reservations but still sat on the glass enclosed front porch watching the duck on the lake. For appetizers we had the chowder (special) and menu item of PEI mussels. The chowder was delicious and the mussel could have been a main dish there was so much. I had the special lobster gnocchi and my husband had the seared scallops from the menu. I could not finish my meal it was so generous. No room for dessert.
Come prepared to pay a fair price for a well prepared and served meal. Not a bargain but well worth the cost. With one glass of wine, appetizers, entrees and one dessert was close to $100.

1  Thank Beth S

Reviewed September 24, 2013

We ate in the dining room of the North Hero House, not the Pub or Bar & Grill. The menu is fairly traditional, not terribly imaginative, but the food is superbly prepared and very attractively presented and the service we received was excellent. We had the flat-iron steak and the haddock and chips. Both were very good, as was the Caprese salad, though it was perhaps a bit skimpy for the price. NHH is a little pricey, but not unreasonable. We also appreciated that the chairs were comfortable and the noise level in the restaurant was fairly low. We had a very enjoyable dinner and would certainly go back again.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is another good example of why asking the locals for advice is a good idea. We were searching for another restaurant when an antique store owner sent us to this place instead, thank goodness! We had a great meal under a tent by the side of the lake taking in the beautiful scenery and watching boats come and go. We arrived late, around 2:30, and the place was still full when we finally dragged ourselves away, which says a lot about the place, doesn't it!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were told this place was good and we were truly impressed we had the Lobster Roll and ate it on the Pier Terrace!!!

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I fully expected this restaurant to provide the quality one receives at Vermont's best culinary establishments such as Michael's On The Hill or Hen of the Wood; I was was horribly mistaken.To begin we ordered the "seafood chowder" which the waitress claimed was filled with salmon, scallops, crab and white fish. What we received was a bowl of bland looking stock filled with globs of slimy, black fish skin, some white fish with bones, a few minced potatoes and celery. There was no salmon, scallops or crab and even if there had been it would not have lessened the assault on the palate. And by definition the base was clearly NOT a chowder. The main course consisted of flat iron steak ( They were unable to provide the beef tenderloin cooked rare). The beef was cooked perfectly to my specification and seasoned well. The complaint I have is the quality of the beef was lacking, especially for the price paid. The quality was comparable to what you might expect in a chain restaurant, such as Friendly's, for a fraction of the price. The vegetable medley was served on a bed of mashed potatoes which appeared to have not been properly drained prior to being mashed; they had a water like consistency to them. The vegetables themselves were perfectly cooked and tasted fresh. The service was OK despite the fact the we never did receive one ordered beverage and while the waitress stood beside a table talking with patrons, the demi glaze poured from the plate she held all over the floor. It would not have been a big deal from my perspective (accidents happen) except she proceeded to serve that plate. The views of lake Champlain and the Green Mountains from the enclosed porch were striking. I do not know if this was an off night for this restaurant or if it is what one could consistently expect, but I will never return. Based on my experience you are much better off sacrificing the majestic views and heading south to enjoy a quality meal at the Blue Paddle Bistro in South Hero.

4  Thank Liz3668

Been to North Hero House? Share your experiences!