“Wonderful place to stay in the Northeast Kingdom”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Little Gnesta B & B
Ranked #1 of 2 Newport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Maple Valley, Washington
“Wonderful place to stay in the Northeast Kingdom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Ruth is a delightful hostess, and her home is beautiful. Breakfast was European-style, which I much appreciated. My room was huge (Umea) and a haven after a long day. I would absolutely stay here again and bring my friends. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Upstairs Umea room was large and private. B and B is right in town, so expect a little street noise...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Middlebury, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

We stayed two nights at Little Gnesta. Our hostess, Ruth, welcomed us warmly. The room we stayed in was upstairs facing the residential street. With the blinds up the room was light and airy. With the blinds down there was delightful privacy. The room was very large with a private bath. We enjoyed the Swedish bed (a little different from our normal mattress, but very comfortable) and the lovely sitting area included in the room. The bath is small but quite functional and well thought out. Downstairs there's a comfy little library where it's nice to relax and read. The front porch is a great place to end your evening. Ruth put out a Swedish style breakfast for us: fresh, hot bread, meats, cheeses, fruits, jams, and juice, with plenty of coffee or tea. Our trip included bicycling, and Ruth kindly let us store our bikes in her garage and told us about the local bike path.

This is a great place to stay to enjoy a peaceful atmosphere with great access to outdoor activities and the wonderful little town of Newport.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Little Gnesta is a Scandinavian inspired Bed & Breakfast located in the quaint northern Vermont town of Newport. We had travelled to Newport last year so my husband could compete in a swim on Lake Memphremagog, and we loved the town and the friendly locals. We had stayed at the Willowsby Inn, and we were neither impressed by the facilities (and the excessive cost considering the condition of our room -- possibly one of the worst showers I've ever used aside from outdoor facilities one finds at beaches) nor happy with the distance we had to travel to get to Newport. Little Gnesta was suggested by the person running the swim.

The B&B is located a quick walk from downtown and to the lakefront, which has a lovely walkway along the water. This was terrific since my husband needed the car to get to the beach where the swim would begin and I had no desire to wake up at 5 a.m. to drive him there two mornings in a row.

The house is in a neighborhood that is slowly being gentrified, and Little Gnesta's owner, Ruth, is a frontrunner in initiating improvements and change, both at her own business as well as being involved in helping Newport become even more of a welcome place for visitors. She personally did many of the renovations of her house, and she did them with thoughtfulness to her guests as well as to the environment. The result is a comfortable, clean and beautiful place. We loved the decor, which was both clean in style and in fact. I have stayed in all sorts of hotels, Inns and B&Bs, and I prefer an unfussy design that uses space effectively with an eye towards comfort. Size of my sleeping space matters less than how easy it is for me to get comfortable and stash my luggage and gear.

We were late in making our reservations, so we got the last of the 4 rooms, which the website describes as "cozy." The room was rather small -- maybe about the size of a college dorm room single. It had two twin beds, an antique icebox (as furniture), a basic 18" bookshelf unit that ran floor to ceiling and one window. An air conditioning unit was located below the window, which was great since it did not block out the natural light. The bookcase was great for unpacking stuff we wanted quick access to, and our suitcases fit under the beds. One bed had a featherbed topper and the other a memory foam mattress. I chose the featherbed, and loved it. I also slept through all of the breakfasts that Ruth offered in the charming dining area. I assume my husband had a great sleep on the other bed -- he fell asleep quickly and he went on to win his race. Our room did not have a television, but that did not bother either one of us. I understand that the other three rooms do have televisions as well as Netflix access. We did, however, much appreciate the wifi connection.

Although the room was small, we were only there for sleeping. If we had felt like we needed more space, Little Gnesta has a centrally located sitting room, which is stocked full of books. In addition, the kitchen, dining area and front porch were available for our use. We had a dedicated bathroom just across the hall from our room. It was beautifully appointed and large. I loved that she had wall hooks in multiple, commonsense, places throughout both the room and the bathroom.

Not only would I recommend Little Gnesta to even the pickiest of travelers, I wish more places would adopt the Swedish style for hospitality. I think that the somewhat overstuffed, overly cabbage-rosed bed and breakfast style often feels more like grandma's yard sale than a thoughtfully decorated guest space. I am all for repurposing antique and vintage, but that does not mean it should be left broken or poorly maintained. Ruth has maintained the historic charm of her house while making it work for modern travelers. I especially admired how she refinished the hardwood floors.

Beyond my accolades regarding my stay at Little Gnesta, I was thoroughly impressed with our host, Ruth. She is the kind of broad-thinking business owner that any city would be fortunate to have as a citizen and cheerleader. She was very knowledgeable about the area, really seems to care about questions or concerns the guests may have (and immediately sets about making things right, even if the concern is not related to her business), and is a genuinely friendly and interesting person. We will definitely stay at Little Gnesta next year when we return for the Kingdom Swim.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

We were in Newport for the Kingdom Swim. Little Gnesta was a great place to stay. We needed to arrive after midnight - and Ruth, the owner, was able to deal with that problem. Our room was very large, very clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was more than ample and beautifully served at whatever time was convenient for us. Ruth is a wonderful host.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Last weekend, I had an opportunity to stay at Little Gnesta in the small quaint town of Newport, VT. The location was very convenient, it was spotlessly clean and comfortable, and Ruth made us feel welcome to not only Little Gnesta but also Newport.

I'm already making plans for my next visit to the Northeast Kingdom and will definitely stay at Little Gnesta.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Sharon, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

We loved staying at the Little Gnesta B&B! The Swedish inspired decor was bright, crisp, and inviting. The facility is extremely clean. It is also within walking distance from the center of charming Newport. Ruthie, the owner, is extremely knowledgeable and her wisdom of the area made our overnight business trip feel like a long-needed vacation. After admiring a French butter dish she set out during breakfast (which was delicious), Ruthie didn't hesitate to tell us about the local potter who made it and even call her to see if she would open her store early so we could stop by on our return home. Newport, Vermont is a beautiful town to visit with breath-taking lake Memphremagog set in the mountains. The little Gnesta B&B was a fantastic place to stay and we plan on coming back soon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lloura
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

Brand new B&B in downtown Newport with all of the charm of home. I was in town on business and stayed four nights. The only drawback is the WiFi, some of us couldn't connect. Breakfast is simple and the beds are too die for! Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
ThurEdos, Owner at Little Gnesta B & B, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
The WiFi problem was acknowledged and resolved immediately after this customer's visit. Now, it has appeared to work for everyone subsequently...thankfully!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Jay Peak Resort
Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel and Spa
Le Pleasant Hotel & Cafe
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay
WilloughVale Inn and Cottages
Domaine Les Boises Lee Farm

Been to Little Gnesta B & B? Share your experiences!