“Not a bad place for breakfast”

The Brown Cow Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 31 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Serving Breakfast and Lunch only. Friendly staff. Excellent food. Reasonable prices.
Stowe, Vermont
“Not a bad place for breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Went two weeks ago on a Sunday, place was packed. Didn't fully appreciate the owner's comment when presenting me with the bill "today, the women pay". Clearly none of his business as to who pays the bill, particularly since it's coming out of a shared account as a married couple anyways.

The food is your typical breakfast fare. The pancakes are plain and they actually ask you if you want real maple syrup or the fake stuff. This is the Northeast Kingdom so they should simply serve real Vermont Maple Syrup and not charge extra for that.

The biscuits and gravy were actually pretty good as were the fries. Now if the owner stopped trying to be funny, this would be a neat little place.

• Visited September 2013

Delray Beach, FL
“A Nice Discovery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I brought our Ford Transit Connect in to the Newport Ford dealer figuring we'd have to take a loaner, instead the body shop manager looked at the damage and decided he's fix it on the spot instead of ordering a (quite expensive) part. However, this left us with an hour or so to kill.

The Brown Cow was almost directly across the street so we headed there with not many expectations, except we could sit down and eat while we got our truck fixed.

It was a pleasant surprise. Despite being almost packed with a noon-time crowd (They seemed mostly locals which is a GOOD thing in a tourist town like Newport.), the service was pleasant and prompt. The owner has a rye sense of humor, which might put some people off, but we took it in the manner in which it was intended.

The food was well cooked and quite tasty and the grill is in the same room with the tables, something I like because the way the cook handles himself or herself tells you a lot about how safe it is to eat at a given place. After watching, I was quite comfortable when the food arrived.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank DrJohnWarren
“TBC one of the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

We eat at "the cow" quite often when in the NEK and it's always great. Chef's omelette / rye toast is the order of the day. Folks are friendly, staff is attentive and the food is consistantly good. There is a reason folks line up on the porch to get in. (BTW you can get a coffee at the window if there is a wait!) Whether you are local or visiting the Kingdom I would highly recommend a stop at the cow.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank christeele
South Burlington, Vermont
“A local breakfast gathering”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Nice country breakfast awaits you here does tend to be crowded very popular but if you
go bring your appetite they feed you well.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank NANCY V
Newport Center, Vermont
“If I could give zero stars I would”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

I can't comment on the customer service because there is none unless being gruff and obnoxious is considered customer service and that is just what you get from the owner. The breakfast is just your average fair, eggs,bacon,sausage pancakes (extra for maple syrup) the waitstaff is constantly changing so that should say something about the working conditions there.The food is average at best although my wife has had to send her undercooked scrambled eggs back on 2 separate occasions and I don't recall her sending any type of food back,ever. I once made reservations for a table for 8 and the owner told us no problem and when we got there he said he couldn't accomodate that because it got too busy. Then why did you not say that when we called or reserve the table for 8.If I am going for breakfast in the Newport area this would be my last choice, Try and find Brenda's or the Family Recipe on Main Street in Downtown Newport both establishments will treat you right give you a good meal and appreciate your patronage.

• Visited July 2012