“Updated since last stay and nice place with small rooms.”

Newport City Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was my third stay at the Newport City Inn but it had been about three years since last stay. The rooms have been updated and I find everything to be pretty clean. I just wish the sleeping area of the rooms was a little bigger here. I stayed in the Memphregog Suite which had a whole other room with a full kitchen and sitting area. The bedroom only had a full size bed and it was still tight. This is a good room for a single person but would be tight with two in the sleeping area.

I think the prices are a little steep for this property but there really aren't many options in this area.

I didn't get a chance to use the pool or check out the breakfast. I couldn't find wifi password until I was packing up. It was stuck in a drawer so I never used it.

I'll be back in area in September but booked a two bedroom condo on lake for just a little more. I would return here though if it is just me for a night or two.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank FrancoS1M
Samantha C, Manager at Newport City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for your review! I do agree that the Magog Suite is a little tight in the sleeping area. Perhaps we could reconfigure the space to make it more accommodating to couples. The rate is higher then our standard rooms, due to the attached full kitchen. Our rooms with 1 Full size bed are the smallest rooms of the property. If you are looking for a more budget friendly room with a little more space, please consider the Holland Pond Room. It has one Queen bed in the room and more square footage. I do apologize for you not being able to find information to access the WIFI. Please keep in mind during your next stay, we are staffed 24hours and our more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you again for your review and I am very happy to know you will visit us again! Have a great day!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night after it had been suggested to us by a friend. The woman at the front desk was friendly and went out of her way to change our reservation to a main floor room after seeing my spouse required crutches. The room was clean and adequate. The shower was good and there was a coffee maker and small fridge. There was free wifi but it did not work very well. We often had to stand a the window to connect and it would drop frequently. However, we will not stay here again due to the very uncomfortable and noisy mattresses. Also, although we had a no-smoking room, there was a strong smell of stale cigarettes.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Samantha C, Manager at Newport City Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your comment on our clerk going above and beyond to accommodate your husband, as she had told me your husband just recently had been put on crutches. I only wish that you would have called the Front Desk to let us know about the issues with your room. If we dont know there is a problem, we cant fix it. If there was an odor of smoke,we could have immediately shown you a different room, or brought in a "smoke out" deodorizer, and if your bed was uncomfortable we could have shown you a different room to try out a different bed. All beds are new within the past few years, but it could be the frame needs adjusting. Again we dont know if we are not told. Our motel is staffed 24 hours to accommodate our guests needs. We have had issues with the Wireless Internet and apologize that it had not yet been fixed. Our ISP has just replaced a faulty modem and our technician is adding another WAP which should improve the connection to the internet. Again thank you for your review, and I hope you give us another chance to show you that we care about our guests and their comfort.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I travel quite a bit on business for the federal government and thought that I would try this hotel as I've driven by it and there are amenities nearby. I called to request a room at the government rate and was told that that would be a 10% discount from the regular rate. As the clerk was looking, I mentioned that the GSA rate was $83.00. She came back to tell me that the rate for a non-smoking queen would be $83.69. I said that was over the government approved rate but I thought that I might just eat the extra change and booked it. After thinking about it, having never before encountered a situation in which a hotel did not meet the GSA rate, I called back to ask a couple of questions about the room and to request that the manager adjust the rate down 69 cents to meet the GSA rate and save me lots of hassle with my voucher. After just a minute, the clerk came back to tell me, "No." I was completely incredulous that this hotel would lose 83 dollars over 69 cents by not being in compliance with the GSA. I asked if she was sure about that. The clerk said that the rate was $83.69 for the room and then she hung up on me! I was left with the impression that government business was not important to these folks and that if I was treated this rudely before arrival, my guest experience was not going to be worth my own sixty nine cents. If you are traveling to this area on GSA per diem, try the Four Seasons Motel a few miles away. It is better located right off I91, near food and gas and the very friendly staff is more than happy to offer you a rate within the GSA schedule. Needless to say I will be repeat customer there next week.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank VermontGerry

Thank you for your review. First I would like to address the Government rate. We do not have special rates for government employees and dont offer any discounts. We offer AAA, AARP and Military Discounts. Our clerk offered you the discount to try to accommodate your needs.
Secondly, I find it unfortunate that you state she hung up on you, as I was in the office during the phone call. I understand frustrations but to say an employee of ours hung up on you is not fair or accurate. We do have other rooms that are at a lower cost, but due to last minute reservations, they were not available.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The positive side of staying here is that there is an indoor pool and fitness room as well as a computer for guests to use. The place also has Wifi. However, the negative side of staying here is that the bed in our room was uncomfortable and the AC was noisy although it did cool the room. The room was small and needed updating. The continental breakfast lacked fruit and other amenities that we have had at other motels.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank globeseeker007

Thank you for your review. We are have and continue to upgrade our rooms. Some of the process in the horse shoe section is brand new modern bathrooms, all beds were replaced within the past few years, we have upgraded our wireless, and also installed keurigs in all rooms. Unfortunately we do not offer fresh fruit with our breakfast but we have added assorted yogurt and hard boiled eggs. I understand it is not the same, but it is an improvement and we continue to improve.

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The front desk person (chrissy?) Was so accommodating and nice. My husband likes to see the room first before we book it and she happily took us to different rooms. If I owned a hotel, I would want a person like this representing it. Super clean rooms, nice pool and hot tub and free breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank tina c
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I stayed here the night before the Rasputitsa bike race. The room was clean and check was friendly and efficient. There was a Keurig coffee maker in our room which was a pleasant surprise and though the room was small there was plenty of room for all our race gear and our bikes.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alicia W
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

My husband stayed here while we visited our daughter. Very nice comfortable and clean room. Located right on the Main Street , it's within walking distance to Subway , convenient stores , and other eateries . Breakfast was very good with bagels, muffins, coffee, juice etc. only negative my husband said he missed some fresh fruit. My husbands room was exterior , however they do have a newer building that has interior corridors. Overall a very comfortable stay!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank 1995win
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Jay Peak Resort
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Le Pleasant Hotel & Cafe
Horizon Hotel
Horizon Hotel
#5 of 5 in Sutton
Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel and Spa
WilloughVale Inn and Cottages

Been to Newport City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!