“Best I Have Found In The Area”

Newport City Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed May 12, 2013

The city itself is in the middle of nowhere, way way up in northern Vermont. A quiet, clean little town. I visit this area 3-4 times a year and I always stay in this hotel. Stay in the new wing. It is very nice and worth the upgrade price. The rooms are very comfortable, nice, thick towels and quiet. As long as I can stay in this wing, I will continue to pick this hotel. The people at the front desk have always been very nice. There are nice dining facilities in town too. You can walk a few doors down to a nice Chinese restaurant.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor. I use the stairs but there is an elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank marlon g

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I read the reviews on this motel before we went, so I had some idea of what to expect. I was
very pleased with the motel and the staff. It is very clean and comfortable, the staff is very helpful and very courteous. Some of the reviews had to do witht the TV service - you are in
a very rural area, mostly dairy farms, but I have to say I watched all my regular programs with no problem and hubby watched hockey (nice large flat screen TV). Also, the internet service was
pretty good, only had a little trouble, but I was able to look at e-mails, and check out information
I was searching for. If we are in this area, we would stay at this motel again. Good place and
good value.

Room Tip: Provided continental breakfast each morning, that was average - 2 cereals, 2 juices, bagels, toast...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mariepro03
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was in the Derby/Newport area recently for business and decided to stay at the Newport City Motel. It's one of only two or three hotel/motels in the area. The location was good, close to a couple of restaurants etc etc.

The motel was apparently built in 1952 or somewhere around that date and I am beyond certain that the heater in my room was an original. When it was on (which was often) I could not hear a thing.

I am not much of a TV guy but being in the Northeast Kingdom in the middle of January leaves me with few choices for extracurricular activities. So the 8-10 channels were not much help. The Wi-Fi was useless as they most likely have a cheap store bought access point that sits in the office which was across the parking lot from where my room was, so that added to the angst of my stay.

Overall the room was clean (the shades in the bathroom had not been dusted in a while) and the staff were moderately friendly.

Next time I am in the area I will most likely try one of the several B & B's in the area and hopefully have a better overall stay. If this motel is your only choice I will say it's not the worst place I have ever stayed if that helps put it into perspective a little.

Another reviewer talked about the new section they have which looks beautiful but it did not appear that anyone was staying in that building while I was in town so not sure what the scoop is.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Kgosselin
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited during peak foliage time and many places were booked. The Newport City Motel was comfortable, clean, and even though a main road was close by, it was quiet. The staff were friendly, helpful, and directed us sto a great diner for breakfast. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Odessa K
Reviewed October 16, 2012

And according to one local, probably better than some other choices in the area. To be fair, we stayed in the old section, the newer section looked much nicer.

The room was pretty clean, but there is little in the way of amenities. The TV gets 15 channels, so don't plan on much TV watching. The WiFi is free, although not really fast enough for streaming. The continental breakfast was pretty limited, you're better off going to the grocery store if you plan on anything longer than a night. The bed was reasonably comfortable, the room was fairly quiet even though mine was on the ground floor. It was cool enough not to use the AC, but it is a through the wall type, so I imagine it would be noisy.

If you stay in a lot of motels( or B&Bs) as opposed to chain hotels like I do, I'm sure none of these things is out of the ordinary. It would be OK as a stop on the way to or from Canada in this part of the US, but I wouldn't stay any longer than one night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank frompitpa
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have to say this is the most disgusting room I have ever been in. It smelled like urine, there was trash under the bed and the toilet had not been scrubbed. Do not stay at this motel. I slept on top of the bed with a sleeping bag.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paula G
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Nice shower, comfortable beds, clean room (until I moved the bedside cabinet). Some of the lights & sockets did not work & the air con was incredibly noisy (next door kept theirs running all night & we could hear it) & not very efficient.
There are cheap washing facilities at locn, and check in & out was no hassle.
Pretty basic, but all in all, pretty good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cazzij5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Jay Peak Resort
12 mi away
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay

Been to Newport City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!