“Nothing fancy but a good stop before crossing the border.”

Newport City Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a basic motel right before the VT/Canada border. We drove 3+ hours to VT so wanted to rest up before crossing the border the next day. We didn't need anything fancy; just a clean place to sleep for the night. The room didn't disappoint. It was clean and sufficient. The location was nice and quiet.

The continental breakfast is included. The selection is again, basic ... with mini muffins, toasts, cereal, boil eggs and a tub of yogurt. Drinks include coffee, tea, OJ and milk. My boyfriend said the coffe was just ok. I tried the OJ and the tea; didn't like either one. But having something is better than nothing since we didn't want to stop for lunch until we arrive at Quebec.

Room Tip: The traffic is light by the hotel but if you are worry, get a room on the second floor to avoid havi...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MROMom

Reviewed August 21, 2012

I made a reservation and when I went to check in was told there was no reservation under my name. Then they found a more expensive room and charged my friend for that. One month later the charge showed up on my credit card. The staff insisted that I was a no show and should have had my confirmation number, which they did not give me. They could not find my last name and then found the credit card number with a different last name (who knows where they got the last name they had). After many calls including one to my credit card company to cancel the charge, the hotel called to say they were going to refund the money. I told them they should refund my friend who ended up paying $40 more than what I was quoted. The woman hung up on me! How rude.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Patricia S
Reviewed August 13, 2012

As prior reviewers have stated, I wasn't expecting much, and what I got was better than expected. Nothing fantastic, but it was everything I needed, as a solo traveler, for just one night. Room and and bathroom were clean. Plenty of hot water in a full sized tub (if I wanted to take a bath), and good water pressure. The AC worked great (although it was in an odd place, so I had to contort myself around the hangers on the clothes rack). I was surprised to find that there is a heated pool, and a hot tub (no jets; it's not a jacuzzi, just hot water). Next to the pool is a weight room, with relatively new (and working!) elliptical machine, treadmill, and universal gym. It was good enough for a very decent workout. I'd come to expect that "gyms" in all but really nice hotels are typically "equipped" with garbage -- this was a pleasant surprise to the contrary. The included breakfast was just fine -- I was looking for calories, not haute cuisine. All in all, this place was a fair deal for my money.

Newport served as my "launch pad" for a bicycle trek over the border to Quebec's Eastern Townships. Close to the Newport City Hotel is the southern end of Newport Bike Path, which heads up along Lake Memphemagog to the border with Canada. When the path ends (after about 6 miles), take a right along the border for maybe two miles, make a left onto the next road that goes north, and hand your passport to the Canadian border guards. About a mile north of the border, make a right onto another bike path, the Sentier Nature Tomofobia; that'll take you to Ayer's Cliff. Both of these bike paths are actually on the same abandoned railroad line; it's now overgrown at the border. The 20 miles or so from Newport to Ayer's Cliff is nearly all on traffic-free crushed gravel paths. (Skinny-tire road bikes are not the best choice; I put knobbies on mine.). From Ayer's Cliff, strong cyclists can ride over challenging hills to other quaint towns, and to the Route Verte. The Newport City Motel was a surprisingly good start to this trek.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sirlexalot
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed one night here and were very pleased with the rooms - they were exceptionally clean for a motel. I overheard one of the girls say that the managers go over each room after they are cleaned. The girls at the front desk were also very and helpful. At first we were nervous at staying at a non-chain motel, but we were pleasantly surprised and appreciated the service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed here for two nights for a family reunion. Price seemed high even with AAA membership. Room was twin bed,a little tight but what was expected. Very clean from the bedding to the room itself. It is a country hotel/motel in a little town that appears to really be suffering from this economy.
They do have a new building that is very nice. This place was booked solid for both night, a good sign
Check in was very pleasant and professional,the housekeeping staff were very accommodating also and friendly.
I would use this place again. True on the breakfast being basic,but I was told right up front
There is the Brown Cow next door and you get a complimentary $5.00 discount for a friendly meal

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank chefpierre62
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We booked this motel without knowing anything about it. WE were stopping on the way to Quebec City Upon arrival we saw a bunch of big trucks that filled the parking lot and only a few autos. It looked to me like a bunch of guys sitting on plastic chairs on the upper deck drinking beer. My first reaction was what a mistake we made. After checking in we found that the room was a nice as they could make it, for the type of motel it was. Everything seemed new and clean. We later learned that the trucks belong to an outfit that paved highways , and they men were taking a break from the 90 degree heat of the day. This motel is not the Ritz, but it was more than OK. The free breakfast was OK too. They even have a new building which we saw was as good as any mid range franchise hotel. By the way, in the morning by 7 a.m. all the trucks and workers were gone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotel45
Reviewed July 15, 2012

This place is horrible. The service was terrible and the rooms were gross and smelly. I am a non smoker and I roomed in a non smoking room that stunk of stale cigarettes. Also I found out through a housekeeper (who was clearly frustrated with management and her job) that the Newport city motel is a frequently visited by bed bugs. I won't ever be staying here again next time I visit the beautiful north east kingdom.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Jlk09340
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
Jay Peak Resort
The Tram Haus Lodge at Jay Peak Resort
Le Pleasant Hotel & Cafe
Ripplecove Lakefront Hotel and Spa
WilloughVale Inn and Cottages
Jay Village Inn
Jay Village Inn
#1 of 1 in Jay

Been to Newport City Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!