Tripadvisor
Newfane
All reviews the wood fired hot tub rock river the main house other guests bed and breakfast the barn swimming pond french toast with bacon consecutive years b bs southern vermont fresh blueberries hiking trails spring fed pond shared bath from scratch gay men
Selected filters
Reviewed January 15, 2020

We were celebrating our 14 years of being together, and we wanted to find something intimate but relaxing and not the frenetic pace of many gay meccas....we found it at Frog Meadow! Meticulous attention to detail, sublime pristine rural setting and attentive hosts. Accommodations were spotless and well equipped, breakfast with homemade honey and jams, wood fired soaking tub and of course a first class massage to get te stress out. Don't hesitate to spend some time here!

Date of stay: January 2020
Reviewed January 13, 2020

I visit Frog Meadow at least twice a year. There is always lots to do in every season, both on the property and in the area around it. It is tranquil and relaxing, off the grid in total comfort. Typically the other guests are laid back, friendly guys. Not a venue for the high maintenance. The food is always delicious. The rooms are spotless and comfortable. The owners have operations down to a science, allowing them to run a full house smoothly and efficiently and with attention to detail. This place is a gem.

Date of stay: October 2019
1  Thank Toronto12345
Reviewed December 12, 2019

This review is long overdue as I have now become a regular guest at Frog Meadow.

I will never forget the first time I arrived at the property and was instantly awestruck by the setting and view, I think I was even speechless, if only momentarily! Once you arrive you have at your disposal 63 acres of some of the most beautiful terrain Vermont can provide. It also has a sense of history as the property has been a farm for hundreds of years, including some original stone work and landscaping near the house that is beautiful.

What I find most appealing is that this is not only a stylish bed and breakfast but this is Dave and Scott's home that they are welcoming you into. I prefer that any day to something more formal or cookie cutter. As recent as the last year they have also brought on board a professional chef to help out so what was really great food for breakfast before is now even better!

I have also had the opportunity to attend one of their workshops. I came away with a sense of community and having a new group of friends as a result. This brings up a something that I think makes Frog Meadow unique, the culture you become a part of as a guest. Every visit I come away with having met interesting, if not fascinating men that engage me and sometimes challenge how I think and look at the world.

I will be heading back to Frog Meadow in the early Spring and as always, know it will be something special.

Room tip: For the most convenience, stay in the main house. For more of an adventure book the Brook or Bee cottage. The Brook cottage is my favorite!
Date of stay: September 2019
1  Thank brucep576
Reviewed December 8, 2019

I have been visiting Frog Meadow Farm for more than a year now. I have driven down from the Toronto area to Frog Meadow several times during 2019 - the last visit in late October. What keeps me coming back? The hospitality - the friendly attentive greetings and care taken by Jay, Scott and Dave make me feel at home as soon as I arrive; the beautiful home that Scott and Dave open up to their guests; the well appointed rooms; the beautiful gardens; the walking trails; the hot tub; the swimming pond... .All of this is in a peaceful, welcoming area of Vermont with a variety of things to do and see and some wonderful restaurants. As well, I have met a variety of interesting guests, some of whom I have stayed in touch with over time.Each visit has left me feeling rejuvenated and looking forward to my next visit!

Date of stay: October 2019
Reviewed December 6, 2019

I stayed for two nights at Frog Meadow back in September. I had just taken an exam that took a lot of preparation, so I booked this retreat, solo, to unwind from the pressure that consumed me for 4 months. I was really looking forward to a memorable weekend.

In the end, I had mixed feelings. The house is very pretty, my room was comfortable (not fancy) and I had to share the bathroom with another room. Luckily, the other room was empty that weekend, so I had the bathroom for myself. I enjoyed a lot the bucolic scenery, the naturally-heated bathtub, the silence, and the food in a nearby restaurant (Four Columns in Newfane). Even for my Manhattan standards, the food at that place was outstanding. Also I met two very friendly guests with whom I had an amazing conversation one evening.

Now the not-so-good. The breakfast was mediocre. Granola, orange juice, coffee and French toast or waffle. Everything sweet; no meat, no eggs, no vegetables, no protein. I saw Dave breaking and cooking eggs, but they were apparently for them, and didn't offer me any. I found the breakfast very substandard for the $250-a-night rate I paid, not to mention the rudeness of making better breakfast for the hosts than for the guests. Also, they make a lot of noise while cooking breakfast so forget about sleeping late or going back to bed after breakfast; I took a shower and when I went back to the room the bed was made already.

Lastly, I didn't find Dave and Scott very friendly. Dave is polite but rather quiet. Scott is more extrovert, bordering on brashness. The first night I asked him a question about keys to enter the house after they had retired, and his response was so sarcastic that I felt uncomfortable. On another opportunity he asked something and I wasn't paying attention, so I politely asked him to repeat. This time he spoke so slowly, almost slurring his words, and apparently mocking my foreign accent.

In the end, I don't rule out going again to Frog Meadow, but probably not alone. I felt awkward and not very welcome.

Room tip: The north and south rooms are similar. There is a suite but I didn't see it
Date of stay: September 2019
2  Thank PabloV2002
Dave K, Owner at Frog Meadow Farm, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2019

Hi Pablo,

We are very sorry you didn’t fully enjoy your stay with us. We do our best to make everyone who stays with us feel comfortable and welcome but obviously we missed the mark with you. Thanks for your input. We will take it to heart, learn from it, and try and do better.

I’m sorry you felt we were preparing a better breakfast for ourselves than what you were offered. This is our home and the kitchen an open kitchen, so we do have to prepare and eat our breakfast in the presence of guests. I can assure you all we were making was a quick couple of eggs so we could eat and get right to work at the B&B. Most of our guests love our fresh, locally sourced breakfasts. We do offer bacon or sausage as a side. You had noted in your reservation that you did not eat red meat. Also if a guest asks for something other than what we are offering that morning, like eggs, we always accommodate that request.

And it being our home we offer an intimate homey atmosphere. We try and be as quiet as possible preparing breakfast but as I mentioned it is an open kitchen.

Finally, Scott grew up in the NYC area. He can be direct and playfully sarcastic at times, but he has a heart of gold and would NEVER EVER make fun of someone’s accent. This was simply a misunderstanding on your part. We welcome men from around the globe and honor the wonderful differences inherent in this world, especially given the current political climate. We like to think we offer a safe place with none of the judgement that is so prevalent today. You must have misunderstood his speaking slowly, I can assure you he did that as an attempt at clarity since he can speak quickly sometimes.

We hope you will give us another chance!

Best, Scott and Dave