“Excellent tour and really tasty cheese.”
Review of Crowley Cheese

Crowley Cheese
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The public is welcome to visit the Crowley Cheese Factory, the country's oldest cheese factory to see award-winning all natural Crowley Cheese, made entirely by hand, the old-fashioned way. Though the factory shop is usually open 7 days, 10-4, we typically make cheese 3 weekdays (call for schedule). The factory was built in 1882 and is listed in the National Historic Register. You can purchase cheese, as well as other assorted Vermont products at the factory. Heads up: we are a TINY, old-fashioned operation that's a little off the beaten track in a beautiful, rural area. Please call first to make sure the factory is open before making the trek. Also, if you do manage to catch us on a cheesemaking day, we really appreciate your patience as our cheesemaking staff endeavors to make excellent cheese while providing an excellent customer service experience.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The employees here very friendly and knowledgeable.Factory has been operating since the 1800s and makes a really tasty handmade colby. Worth the time just to see but be sure to sample the cheese.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We recently visited Crowley Cheese on a lovely Sunday afternoon. The cheese making was not operating as it was Sunday but you could see the equipment through a large window viewing area. There must have been 15 types of cheese set out for tasting and I think I tried most of them! The salesperson was very helpful and friendly as we gathered all the goodies we wanted. They sell several cheeses in blocks and some in vacuum packs of random sized slices. All kinds of mustard, jellies and syrup from Vermont were also available AND I bought cute tee shirt. Obviously we spent quite a bit but only because we really enjoyed the product! The shop is two miles off the state road but on a paved road through a pretty rural area. It would be a great trip around Oct. 1st for foliage!

Reviewed September 5, 2012

Unfortunately on the day we went to Crowley their boiler had broken so they were unable to make cheese. That was a shame, but Sam more than made up for it, giving us a long explanation of what takes place with history included and then, of course, there were the samples and more samples and more samples ... Well, you get the picture.
Of the seven dairies my husband and I went to during our trip to VT, Crowley was my favorite, hands down. We had such a good time talking to the staff and tasting everything that was open and edible. I'm torn between the muffaletta, the sage and the extra sharp. Every one delicious! I can't wait to go back and hopefully have the "complete" experience by seeing the cheesemaking in progress. Meanwhile, I'll relive the fun by ordering block after block. Yum-o!

Reviewed August 21, 2012

Arrived early an the cheese production had not started yet. However, cheese was great and staff very friendly (but still working the morning coffee). Pleasant location and worth the side trip!!!

Reviewed July 19, 2012

The sign out front says they have the best cheese. I'm not qualified to judge that, it's delicious, I love it, but I don't know if it's the best. What I do know is that they're the friendliest. We popped in for a quick look and stayed for hours. Kenny, Kim and Greg were extremely funny and informative as we watched the major portions of the cheesemaking process (we got there just as the curds and whey were ready to be transferred for draining and rinsing.) Cheryl showed us around the old cheesemaking equipment and the other parts of the factory. The owner, Jill, came down to answer our questions and talk about blogs, cheese and business. Everyone was super friendly and knowledgeable. I plan to stop in every time I drive by.

www.bumblechickfood.blogspot.com