“Fantastic Location & Hospitality”

The Inn at Montpelier
Ranked #2 of 4 Montpelier B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We chose this Inn because of the reviews here. As I was getting ready to write this review post-stay, I was shocked at some of the negative things people had to say! Let us tell you, we had a GREAT time staying at this Inn! We got there in the middle of a terrible heat wave (95+ degrees and HUMID!). When we checked in, the A/C in our first room didn't seem to work, so they gave us a premium room in the main building. Well, that was quite warm too, and we decided to go back to the original room. The owner personally came out to check everything, and Jude, the Day Manager (we're guessing on her title), was just fantastic in her attitude and effort to ensure that we were happy. As it turned out, it just took a lot of time for the AC to kick in, and we slept quite well for the 2 nights we stayed.

The location of this Inn is perfect, walking distance to all the Restaurants, and Montpelier is centrally located in Northern Vermont, so we took side trips to Burlington (nice city!), Stowe and Waterbury. You've GOT to check out Ben & Jerry's factory. Yummy!

We decided to eat one night in Waterbury at a place called Michael's on the Hill. This is a FANTASTIC upscale restaurant, and their food features fresh, local ingredients. Not too far from the Inn.

All in all folks, this IS a GREAT place to stay! Period. Looks like we had the New Owners, and Karol was great to come out to see to our comfort on that dreadfully HOT day and night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 12, 2010

My wife and I drove by The Inn at Montpelier and it looked good, so we decided to go in and check it out. It looked really nice and put together and the innkeeper was very agreeable. The only thing that creeped us out were the modeling photos of their kids over the fireplace. We got a "midsized" room for $189 for the night. Just the price would give it some promise. We got to the room and it was tired, but acceptable and seemingly clean. Now, we really are easy travelers. If the place is clean, great. My wife and I were getting frisky and when I retracted the covers to the bed there was leg hair, pubic hair and head hair all over the sheets. After throwing up into my mouth and the mood going out the window, further inspection revealed the sheets simply were not changed. I am not crazy, nor is my wife. After getting myself together and trying to get the jibblies out of me, I went downstairs to address the issue. I kindly informed the innkeeper that an oversight must have occurred and the sheets were not changed. After seeming quite surprised she offered to change the sheets or the room for us. We opted for a different room. First thing I did was check those sheets too and while they were not as hairy as the first, the sheets had stains, were wrinkled and still had hair throughout the bed, the cherry on top being a nice curly hair most likely from the pubic region right under the pillow. My wife and I decided to go for a walk, clear our heads, then a go for a drive to clear them some more. Long story short, I couldn't get over my disgust. We went back, packed the car, told them we would not be staying the night and left. Maybe it was an off day, but it seemed just a high priced motel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PeriodicTrend
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We loved our time at the inn. John and carol were wonderful, friendly,unassuming hosts. Our room was spotless and beautiful. The porches are a great place to sit and relax and enjoy the scenery. I can't say enough about our time at the inn. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

Had confirmed reservation in December for 3 rooms through travel agent for May graduation weekend. Double checked on the morning of departure - No rooms!! Innkeepers denied reservations were made (later told travel agents they did get the reservation). Other than blaming travel agents did not even try to help with other accomodations except for 2 phone numbers. Luckily - were able to recover with rooms in hotel in Burlington overlooking lake (less expensive too!) - overall not very professional way to run a business - anyone can make a mistake but did not get the impression they really cared!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Brandt20
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I have just returned from a 10 day trip with two aunts in their 90s and a friend. We travelled through Quebec, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

We never stay at hotels. We were pleased with each B&B we stopped at. We were also pleased with the price. Each one cost around $80 per room. They were all great. Our trip lengthened by one day, after we doddled in the mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont. We found ourselves in Montpelior at 8:00p.m. and checked out "Betsy"s B&B" But she did not return out call. After a very nice supper at a restaurant run by the local culinary school, we enquired at the "Inn at Montpelior" Admitedly we were looking late (around 10:30).

I was shocked when the host told me the rates ranged from $139.00 and upwards. However having two aunts who did want to roost for the night, we decided they could share for one night in a "Deluxe" room for $179.00, and we would take a standard room.

The main floor common rooms were nicely appointed. Our rooms were neccessarliy simple, with a bed dresser and one chair as the rooms were small in this nice old building. However when morning came it turned out that the aunt's toilet would only flush with great effort and many tries. Our shower head was broken and just hung, and could not be adjusted. The shower control was loose. One towel had what appeared to my friend to be toothpaste on it all ready before use. And finally the windows were simply filthy. It was not a case of a winter of dust. This is a rural environment with clean air. My windows in a city are nearly clean after a long winter. These windows had not seen a wash in years. Best of all was the roll of one ply toilet paper in the holder. We could not believe it, and opened a roll of two ply which was sitting nearby. sdfg

The gardens were lovely. The exterior of the Inn well kept. The continental breakfast quite acceptable.

However it turned out after I had escorted one aunt upstairs to her room with her bag, that our host had suggested to my friend that he might be able to put up the aunts in a main floor room in the building next door. And he would offer this for the "standard' rate a savings of about $30. However when our host made the offer to me, he neglected to mention the reduced price and it seemed an effort to zip up the bags and move next door.

The older female was was on duty in the morning was not friendly, and asked my aunt if she wanted her receipt after she had paid her bill. My aunt being a businesswoman certainly did.

She then told me that the total cost of the room was $170.04 and as I ws counting the bills jumped ahead and asked if I had the pennies. I had intended to pay them, but after being asked if i was going to, I was a bit annoyed and contemplated how much I had saved them by paying cash.

The question is how does this Inn get away with charging exactly double of what EVERY other Inn we stayed in. The only answer I can imagine is that in a goverment town, many guests are paying their bills with taxpayer money.

Beware, there are many Inns just as nice and nicer which charge half the amount.

I would most certainly NEVER return, though I can hardly wait to go back to Montpelier, a lovely town.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed May 1, 2010

Great location, great porch, friendly welcome BUT roasted in room 5. Over 80 during the night and dropped to 74 by 4 a.m.
AC not working, only one window opens. When we mentioned the problem the next morning was told that "everyone complains about the heat in that room. We need to look into it!" If already had complaints why nothing done and why was it not mentioned when we checked in. Spoiled what was a lovely experience.
Go to the Lost Nation Theatre a short walk away. Quality, quality, quality theatre.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2010

We stayed for just one night for business/pleasure combo. The room was small but spotless. The owners couldn't have been nicer or more accomodating. They really did everything they could to make us comfortable and address our special requests. We walked to town for dinner, stopped at the nearby library for a free lecture, and thought the location was perfect for leaving the car parked while we explored the area. Continental breakfast was lovely: good muffins, cofee cake, curried hard-boiled eggs, granola, bagels and coffee. Lovely dining room. Someone came to the front desk within a minute, every time. Room TV was small, but I don't come to VT to watch TV. Check the dates on the negative reviews, most are from before these folks owned the place. Quality Victorian lighting, hardware and furniture.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Capitol Plaza
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
High Hill Inn
High Hill Inn
#1 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to The Inn at Montpelier? Share your experiences!