“Did the job-but wouldn't stay for any longer”

Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 4 Montpelier B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We were very glad to find Betsy's as we had just got off the White Mountains after a tiring overnight hike. We stayed in the bedroom in the main house with the bathroom down the hall. It was comfortable and clean and a good size.

However in the morning, we came out of our room to go down to breakfast and found dog or cat mess outside our room. Breakfast wasn't great and certainly wasn't served with any joy. We could also see into the kitchen and saw things being heated up in the microwave. The dog was running all over the place in the kitchen which wasn't very appealing. Both of us like animals and we were told that there were animals in the house-that was fine. However the dog and cat did dominate and the place didn't feel that clean, especially after the present left outside our room!

All is all-this was fine, but we didn't want to hang around and I would not recommend it for more than one night.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Fiona2302

Reviewed December 29, 2008

I'd give Betsy's a solid B. The rooms were cute, we had the advantage of a sitting room and kitchen - shared with another room, but still a nice space. It wasn't terribly quiet - we were awakened when someone came up the stairs and into the room across from ours (quite late at night), and whoever came up the stairs was very quiet, we could just hear every footstep. Still, I have to take issue with the other reviews about cleanliness. I didn't think there was a problem with that at all. The breakfast was good. The two animals, a sweet cat and a small dachsund, were friendly and unobtrusive, and they were in the main house while we stayed in the property next door. If I'm in Montpelier again, I'd consider staying here again.

It wasn't the most stellar B&B I've ever stayed at, but reasonable for the price.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank GreenVelvet
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I stayed here with my parents during Thanksgiving as we were visiting cousins in the area. As we pulled up to Betsy's, we saw there was a room above the garage and joked that that was going to be our rooms. Guess what? It was. It was two small rooms and a small living area above the cluttered dirty garage. To say it was a depressing site... well, it was dingy looking, small and well, just sad. Betsy calls it a 'suite'. It was two teeny tiny bedrooms with one bathroom separating them. And do not expect a clean nice shower with that.

I am an animal lover, so her puppy dachsund was the highlight of the place in my opinon. We had breakfast in her main house where her kids hung out in their pajamas and cleanliness is not the theme of the house. Breakfast, normally my favorite meal, was less then desirable.
Also, if it is icy, and you are staying in the garage 'suite' wear good traction boots as you have to walk down step outside with no handrail.

Overall, I would not recommend this B&B, if you can find any other place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank clearbluewater11
Reviewed November 16, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Betsy's. On the web site there was no mention of animals in the B&B. We declined to stay at another B&B due to cats being advertised there. I am highly allergic to cats and dogs. Even though the animals were kept in the one Victorian home, there was hair all over the area rug and the furniture along with dust in the parlor where we were staying. I could go on and on with my disappointment in this place but I feel you'll get the point.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank bilntaz
Reviewed April 30, 2008

This is a great place to stay and an excellent value for the biz traveler (I travel 50% per year in New England states). Warm and cozy family setting. Clean, pretty and the place even smells good. Wireless is free, fast and without problems. (It's walking distance to everything, including A+ bakeries and restaurants, banks, bookstores, copy shops, the works. Montpelier also has fun shopping to bring home presents for Mom and kids.) Fresh airy spaces, well-lit. Fantastic reading chair in my room (#3). You can control the heat and fresh air in your room, which is a huge plus for me. It's quiet all day and night, with passing cars at the usual rush hours. Today is April 30, and there were two snow showers on the tulips and daffodils. I consider this place a real treat for myself, and believe me, I've seen it all. (Frankly, I don't understand a few of the other comments I've seen here about Betsy's, and I'll let it go at that.)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank Paul A
Reviewed April 30, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Betsy's B&B and it was a negative experience. The front porch had heavily soiled furniture and cushions and there was much clutter that needed to be removed.

As we entered the B&B and saw the carpets, they were heavily soiled to a dark gray color. This coloration went on through the foyer, into the living room, and only faded as we went up the stairs approaching our room.

The living areas were highly cluttered with nicknacks and family
memorabilia which were in dire need of cleaning. Betsy herself gave a lukewarm welcome and did not seem to know that we were arriving despite our recent call for directions.

We stayed in room #2, which did appear to be vacuumed. The furniture was nice enough but the room was in need of decorating. There was a soiled hand-written envelope on the nightstand soliciting tips. There were electrical outlets missing their proper plates. The television was very small - possibly 7" screen.

The bathroom had mold around the tub. There was a poorly placed un-curtained window in the ceiling which looked directly onto the commode and our entrance/exit to the bath and then into the neighbor's window. The blow dryer blew only cool air.

I did not feel comfortable enough about the cleanliness to eat
breakfast at the inn.

It was unclear as to what areas of the inn were for the guests and what areas were private for the family. It seemed as though all areas outside of our room were for the family's private use although the web site stated otherwise. When we requested use of the inn's tv room, the family demonstrated precedence over its use.

All in all it was a very unhappy experience for us.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mtom3x0
Reviewed October 18, 2006

We stayed in Room 2 and it was very comfortable. The decor is antique - I felt like I was sleeping over at my Grandma's house! The breakfast - OH WOW! When we sat down, a large coffee cake and some sort of cobbler was already on the table. We were offered a full, made-to-order breakfast, including waffles, sausage, eggs - the works! I ordered oatmeal and got a heaping bowl of "specialty" oatmeal - the grains were cut with blades. It was delicious! We really enjoyed the conversation with other guests during our meal and one of the owners came and sat down with us to "shoot the bull", also. Betsy is from Texas and is as sweet as Apple Pie! We waddled out of the place with big smiles on our faces! -Glenn & Karen Matthews

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Capitol Plaza
#2 of 4 in Montpelier
High Hill Inn
High Hill Inn
#1 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Betsy's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!