“Bring Your Cleaning Supplies if Staying Here”

Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Montpelier B&B and Inns
Pennsylvania
“Bring Your Cleaning Supplies if Staying Here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Betsy's. On the web site there was no mention of animals in the B&B. We declined to stay at another B&B due to cats being advertised there. I am highly allergic to cats and dogs. Even though the animals were kept in the one Victorian home, there was hair all over the area rug and the furniture along with dust in the parlor where we were staying. I could go on and on with my disappointment in this place but I feel you'll get the point.

• Liked — The Breakfast
  • Disliked — The place was not clean
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bilntaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
East Greenwich, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

This is a great place to stay and an excellent value for the biz traveler (I travel 50% per year in New England states). Warm and cozy family setting. Clean, pretty and the place even smells good. Wireless is free, fast and without problems. (It's walking distance to everything, including A+ bakeries and restaurants, banks, bookstores, copy shops, the works. Montpelier also has fun shopping to bring home presents for Mom and kids.) Fresh airy spaces, well-lit. Fantastic reading chair in my room (#3). You can control the heat and fresh air in your room, which is a huge plus for me. It's quiet all day and night, with passing cars at the usual rush hours. Today is April 30, and there were two snow showers on the tulips and daffodils. I consider this place a real treat for myself, and believe me, I've seen it all. (Frankly, I don't understand a few of the other comments I've seen here about Betsy's, and I'll let it go at that.)

• Liked — Hospitality, breakfast, comfort of rooms.
  • Disliked — I can't think of anything I didn't like.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Paul A
Aiken, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed at Betsy's B&B and it was a negative experience. The front porch had heavily soiled furniture and cushions and there was much clutter that needed to be removed.

As we entered the B&B and saw the carpets, they were heavily soiled to a dark gray color. This coloration went on through the foyer, into the living room, and only faded as we went up the stairs approaching our room.

The living areas were highly cluttered with nicknacks and family
memorabilia which were in dire need of cleaning. Betsy herself gave a lukewarm welcome and did not seem to know that we were arriving despite our recent call for directions.

We stayed in room #2, which did appear to be vacuumed. The furniture was nice enough but the room was in need of decorating. There was a soiled hand-written envelope on the nightstand soliciting tips. There were electrical outlets missing their proper plates. The television was very small - possibly 7" screen.

The bathroom had mold around the tub. There was a poorly placed un-curtained window in the ceiling which looked directly onto the commode and our entrance/exit to the bath and then into the neighbor's window. The blow dryer blew only cool air.

I did not feel comfortable enough about the cleanliness to eat
breakfast at the inn.

It was unclear as to what areas of the inn were for the guests and what areas were private for the family. It seemed as though all areas outside of our room were for the family's private use although the web site stated otherwise. When we requested use of the inn's tv room, the family demonstrated precedence over its use.

All in all it was a very unhappy experience for us.

• Liked — Nothing really.
  • Disliked — The window in the bathroom looking into the neighbor's house.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mtom3x0

Travelers are raving about these Montpelier hotels

Conroe, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2006

We stayed in Room 2 and it was very comfortable. The decor is antique - I felt like I was sleeping over at my Grandma's house! The breakfast - OH WOW! When we sat down, a large coffee cake and some sort of cobbler was already on the table. We were offered a full, made-to-order breakfast, including waffles, sausage, eggs - the works! I ordered oatmeal and got a heaping bowl of "specialty" oatmeal - the grains were cut with blades. It was delicious! We really enjoyed the conversation with other guests during our meal and one of the owners came and sat down with us to "shoot the bull", also. Betsy is from Texas and is as sweet as Apple Pie! We waddled out of the place with big smiles on our faces! -Glenn & Karen Matthews

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — We ahd to climb stairs to get to our room - duh! Its a 2 story house!
  • Tips/Secrets — Talk to fellow travelers during your meal - you can get lots of good information!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
Vermont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2006

My parents were visiting me from out of town and were extremely disappointed with the breakfast and the lack of hospitality. As for the food, the serving size was very skimpy and not very appetizing. On their first day, my parents were offered just eggs and two sausage links and were told they were "out of potatoes". They tried again the next day and said the food still tasted terrible even with the potatoes. After that, they went to town to go out to breakfast.
They could have lived with the bad breakfast had the hospitality been better. Vermonters are very polite and quite friendly but, unfortunately, Betsy is neither. She should hire someone else to greet the guests and just stick to counting her profits.
My parents stayed for almost a week and it was very embarassing for me as I had recommended Betsy's based on ONE review I had read and it left a poor impression on our lovely city. Never again...

• Liked — Comfortable Bed
  • Disliked — Terrible Food, Poor Hospitality, not located in downtown but up semi-steep hill
  • Tips/Secrets — Not recommended
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank VermontMa
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2006

I stayed at Betsy's on three occasions for ten days each time, while studying at Vermont College. I always felt welcome. We're not talking modern luxury here. We're talking homey and informal in a Victorian house with wonderful hot full breakfasts. I stayed in one of the houses next door to the main house. "My house" had two guest rooms per floor separated by a comfortable parlor (some floors have a cast iron stove in the parlor) and a shared kitchen. Every room has a private bath, very basic. Old fashioned cabbage rose wallpaper and a four-poster bed in my spacious room (with small tv) made my room a comfy retreat. It was always very clean, with plenty of fresh towels. Minor fix-ups could be done but don't let that stop you. It's a short walk into the center of town although up and down a steep hill (this IS Vermont after all!) and even closer to the Vermont College campus. Service is relaxed but attentive. Breakfasts are great: pancakes or french toast with bacon or sausages, bread pudding or hot fresh muffins, oatmeal, eggs and cold cereals are served daily in a homelike dining room. This is not a sophisticated city inn. It suits Montpelier.

• Stayed January 2006
1 Thank DavisSqBoston_MA
Fort Benning, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2005

Betsy's B and B needs a face lift. The place is clean but the comforters on the bed make you second guess yourself. She needs to update the carpet as well. It is a little run down and the breakfasts are nothing special. She runs out of certain things as well so get to breakfast early. With new linens and a few other things done to the place it would nice and quaint.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank jacks912
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#2 of 4 in Montpelier
Twin City Motel
Twin City Motel
#1 of 3 in Barre

Been to Betsy's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!