“Was okay but some drawbacks.”

Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 4 Montpelier B&B and Inns
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Was okay but some drawbacks.”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Our room was good, clean and had a large bathroom. Breakfast was good but not stunning. We did enjoy meeting other guests over breakfast and the service was good. We did not like the smoking area on the front porch. We would have liked to be able to have a glass of wine on the porch but it was filled with smokers. The air condioner in the room was an old window unit that was fairly loud and kept me awake a bit. The location was good. We walked to the Main Street Grill which is operated by the New England Culinary Institute for dinner. The B&B was okay but don't believe we will be returning.

• Stayed August 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Let me start by saying that I am most definitely NOT a B&B person. If I could've gotten into the one decent hotel in town, or the more upscale Inn, I would've. Instead, I signed on for this due to its close proximity to downtown and the fact that, compared to other Montpellier hotels and B&Bs reviewed on this site, it didn't sound awful.

And it's not.

The facility is actually two houses, and I stayed in the upper one. The room was okay - two twins, both comfortable, with a private bath (clean). There was a very small TV connected to a satellite. But the furnishings were a bit run-down, as was the house. If you arrive at night, there's very little light to help you in the door - and that door didn't strike me as particularly secure. Overall, it felt several years past what should have been a comprehensive modernization and refurbishment. Ah, and though the wireless internet is for real, it is painfully slow.

And for $125/night, roughly comparable to the only decent hotel in town's price, Betsy's is WAY over-priced. Still, nice enough if you can't get in anywhere else, or don't want to stay outside of town.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Lovely Victorian house up a short climb from centre of town - maybe 10 minutes walk. The room was comfortable and clean - not luxurious but adequate. We were missing a window blind / curtain. Breakfast was good. Car parking was fine. This was a really busy weekend but everything seemed to be run just fine. I don't know what everyone is whining about in the reviews but we enjoyed ourselves.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2010

A charming pair of Victorian homes with superb breakfasts, gracious staff and interesting fellow-travelers. I thoroughly enjoyed my three nights there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
CT
Reviewed January 31, 2010

The parking is very limited. The owner, Jon, hit our car. We were charged for the room in spite of the time and inconvenience of having to have our car fixed. The owners never apologized. We told our waiter at dinner in town our experience. He said "Betsy wears tepats in the family. The husband, Jon, has run for mayor and gets beaten badly." Betsy's B & B was a terrible experience.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank caseydong

Travelers are raving about these Montpelier hotels

Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 24, 2009

Betsy's house is charming, old Victorian with some beautiful woodwork, expecially the stairs area. The room upstairs in the main house was quite large with a comfortable bed. The breakfast was excellent with fresh blueberry coffee cake, eggs made to order, wheat toast, and good sausage. I personally liked the cat and found her presence a great addition. The house is very close to restaurants and attractions.
That said, I would recommend that the owners clean up the garage or close the doors as the clutter there detracted from the look of the property. Also, I felt uncomfortable that the front door was unlocked and I had to use a bathroom down the hall from my room. I knew my room had a bathroom down the hall, but didn't know the house wasn't locked with no owner on the premises. I don't know why the owners don't lock the front door and give guests a key. The house could use a deep dusting, quite a bit dirtier than just about anyplace I've stayed in the price range.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank sontjones
New York
Reviewed September 18, 2009

We stayed a night at Betsy's and found it to be just fine and I'm sure we'd stay there again if we're in Montpelier again. The room was clean and well-sized, as was the bathroom (although no shampoo?). The breakfast was very good and location was close enough to walk to downtown (although it sort of seems like every part of Montpelier is within walking distance of downtown). It's not a fancy b&b but definitely a good value.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#2 of 4 in Montpelier
Twin City Motel
Twin City Motel
#1 of 3 in Barre

Been to Betsy's Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!