“Dirty - No attention to Detail”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hilltop Inn

Hilltop Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Montpelier
Pottersville, New York
“Dirty - No attention to Detail”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2006

Website calls it one of the best in the industry. Well, we tried it out, got a King room, and were disguested upon arrival. Problem was, it was a holiday weekend, and by that time, nothing else was available. Carpet was filthy, bathroom tub was stained and dirty, toilet was propped up on wood, hair dryer was missing, bugs in lamps, no bedside tables, just a florecent fixture over the bed, making reading almost impossible, one light fixture didn't work, bent screen that let the bugs in (yes there was air conditioning, but it was a wonderful, cool, VT night, and we had wanted to sleep without the drone of the AC). Manager offered to move us, but no other king beds were available, so for my husband, that wasn't an option. Our advice - stay away! There aren't a lot a "chain" hotels in this part of the state, but there certainally must be some lovely B & B.

14 Thank Coolgram4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2006

We stayed at the Hill Top Inn on 9/28/06 and 9/29/06. We found it to be very nice- just what we’d hoped for. The room (no. 132) was clean, large (two queen beds), had cable TV and a refrigerator. The bathroom was decent sized, had an excellent shower, lots of counter space and lots of towels. The desk clerks were fine - we asked for an extra blanket and one was sent to our room in just a few minutes. The location was very convenient to Montpelier: about 10 minutes to the very center of town, and only two minutes off Interstate 89. While we didn’t see it, the motel has an indoor swimming pool, and had free coffee brewing all day. Access to the rooms is very convenient - there are several entrances; most rooms are just a few steps from one of them. The attached restaurant (Suzanna’s) was very convenient, it had a very complete breakfast menu, and the prices were very reasonable. We would certainly stay there again, and can recommend it highly.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank Lonnie C
North of Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

We had a very pleasant one-day stay using 2 rooms. The rooms were very comfortable and in good repair. New carpeting was evident but one of the TVs could use updating. It nonetheless received all channels.

The bathrooms were in good shape, but the showers indeed are very low with efficient (fine spray – the wife hated that) water-saver heads. I came, I saw, I showered. Life goes on.

The attached restaurant is quaint, with typical diner-type fare -- comfortable, tasty and filling, not elegant. The service was attentive and friendly.

Most importantly (for me) is that they have complimentary coffee and tea available around the clock in a centrally located rec room.

Hilltop was everything we wanted for a relaxing, inexpensive stay and if we find ourselves in that area of the state again, we'll likely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank WmOfTewks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

This place looked pretty old, although parts were recently renovated. The previous reviewer is not kidding about the height of the shower head. It was suitable for people up to about 5'5''. Although I got hot water for my shower at night, my traveling companion did not in the morning. The beds were clean and firm and I got a good night's sleep; the toilet looked well-scrubbed; and the tv was big -- but there was a large chunky stain on our air conditioning unit that looked as though it had been there for quite a while and the floor of the shower was stained from age which put me off even though it was not dirty. From the pictures on the website, I thought the Hilltop Inn (formerly the Lague Inn) was rural; but the front overlooks a busy road. I did not use the pool or restaurant but we did take advantage of its proximity to the capital and Vermont's tourist attractions towards Stowe. It's OK for the price but not the place for a cozy getaway.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Montpelier hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2005

Stayed there 1st week of March 2005. They changed the name from Lague Inn to the Hilltop Inn. The rooms are pretty good, the bathrooms look recently renovated. It is really a good place to stay if you are snowmobiling. The parking lot is huge and you can enter the VAST trail system right from the parking lot. I found the people there helpful and friendly. You can get a VAST trail pass right at the hotel front desk. They also have an indoor pool which was better than some of the more upscale hotels I have been to. It is not the Hyatt but for $75 a night it's a pretty good deal.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2004

This place needs to be looked at again by AAA.
The good: the rooms were clean, the location offered easy access to area attractions.
The bad: Online reservation was confirmed for a room with a king bed, when we got there they said they had only rooms with 2 double size beds available. This was during peak foliage viewing season and a holiday weekend to boot, so there was nowhere else in the area to stay. Coincidentally, the section of the yellow pages that had hotels listed was missing from our room’s phone book.
The shower would have been perfect if I were 2 feet shorter and like cold showers. I am average height (5'8") and the showerhead was just below my chin. The temperature of the water got to slightly below luke warm .
When we turned on the heating unit in our room, we were greeted with the aroma of urine for the first half-hour or so.
We did not venture to the hotels restaurant, by we attempted to get a drink in the lounge at 9 PM on a Friday night and they told us they had just called last call but would let us have one drink. We declined and went to the closest establishment, about 3 miles up the road.
The ugly: many, many stains of varying size and color lined the hallways, and one of the chairs in our room was also well stained, on it's cushion.
Complaints to the management did yield an apology, and that was all.
I would not recommend this place to anyone.

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2003

Stayed here September 2003. While the room and bathroom were clean, there were amenities missing from a supposedly 3 star inn, such as iron, bathroom exhaust, hairdryer and coffee maker. Also, the hotel did not offer breakfast but there was free coffee 24 hours a day and there was a restaurant adjacent to the hotel. I did not try it altho my travelling companions did and although they said that breakfast was fine, the dinner was so-so for the price. Staff was courteous and helpful. And for the low price that I got just before peak foliage season, $75 thru Inntopia, I guess I have no reason to complain.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montpelier
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
Fairfield Inn & Suites Waterbury Stowe
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
Betsy's Bed and Breakfast
#3 of 4 in Montpelier

Been to Hilltop Inn? Share your experiences!